Having a hard time waiting.... Installed Cams, waiting on tune

petersonb

forum member
Reaction score
Installed Comp Cams "Motha Thumpr" on Saturday. Car kinda runs like shit and I'm waiting for the email tune to come through.

The anxiety is killing me!

I was told the cams would make it run richer than necessary, but when I press the throttle a little harder (maintaining speed while going up a hill on the interstate, for example), datalog shows 0.00 for FP FLOW and AFR is like 18:1.

Surely it's all tune related, and will be fixed when I get the tune.... But I'm having a hard time waiting! So I'm using s197forum.com to distract me...

bleh

petersonb

forum member
Reaction score
Just couldn't contain yourself, huh? Lol

Hahahaha! I got it back to Fayetteville, fixed the coolant hose problem, fixed the belt slip issue... which gave me more boost than I wanted. Instead of a bigger S/c pulley, I decided to go with N/a cams with a good lope to them, and also dropped my boost about 2psi.

Car sounds amazing at idle, but sucks to drive right now.

Another reason I'm so anxious about getting the tune is because I want the reassurance that the tune is, in fact, the problem, not a mess-up during install.

Cam install only took 3hrs from hood-up to hood-down. 3 of us working on it, 2 of which have done 5+ of these cam installs on 4.6L 3v's (guess which guy I am lol), but you never know... Might have forgotten something, right? Not likely, but I won't rest easy until the car is putting along just fine.

TL;DR: NO, I couldn't contain myself :thumb:

kell0177

Reaction score
Well I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I'm guessing you were the guy with the most experience that told the others what to do, right?

I would assume that if something was done wrong it would go seriously bad, not just run poorly. But there's no telling.

petersonb

forum member
Reaction score
Well I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I'm guessing you were the guy with the most experience that told the others what to do, right?

I would assume that if something was done wrong it would go seriously bad, not just run poorly. But there's no telling.

I was the one who's never done it on a 3v before. I took of the CAI and helped pull the battery. I handed the guy the new cam, took from him the old cam.

I applied some assembly lube too! Lol

And yeah i like to think you're right. It at least runs

kell0177

Reaction score
Hey you were a key member lol. It doesn't lube itself!! You still heading this way this weekend?

petersonb

forum member
Reaction score
Hey you were a key member lol. It doesn't lube itself!! You still heading this way this weekend?

Nope. Plans changed and now she's coming here this weekend. I'll be in OKC the weekend of the 12th and/or the 19th. Depends on work. I'll definitely let you know though

petersonb

forum member
Reaction score
Hey the 12th is my bday and OU/TX so definitely plenty to do.

I may go to that game. Again, depends on work. I hate being the puppet lol

I've been passing the time (still waiting on my tuner...) by reading build threads and also the KABOOM thread by Timmbo.... He blew his motor at only 440whp.

I'm going to be over 480whp..... Guess I'd better start saving for a new motor

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back