Header installation Cost

Swanky197

forum member
Reaction score
I know prices will differ based on location, but could you guys give me an estimate on how much you would expect to pay for headers installed?

Also, If anyone can recommend a shop or person in NJ that you trust I would appreciate it.

Gremlin85

forum member
Reaction score
Before I gave in and installed them myself I was quoted about $700-$800 by a speed shop local to me here in Central MA.

If you have any experience with turning a wrench and have a couple days I'd suggest saving the money and doing them yourself. With patience and good jack stands, long extension, some swivels and assorted sockets and wrenches it can be done on your back in a driveway. That's how I did it.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I know prices will differ based on location, but could you guys give me an estimate on how much you would expect to pay for headers installed?

Also, If anyone can recommend a shop or person in NJ that you trust I would appreciate it.

Figure 4 hours of shop rate at a minimum. If I was a shop I'd ask for a flat 6 hours which would be about $600 or so.

Like the previous poster stated you can do it yourself with a few tools and some patience. The procedure has been posted before.

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
I was quoted $1200 including an alignment afterwards (they were dropping k-member).

I did it myself on jackstands in my garage. 2 days and done.

Swanky197

forum member
Reaction score
ok thank you. I mine as well just take the time

I was quoted 10 hours at $100 an hour

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
ok thank you. I mine as well just take the time

I was quoted 10 hours at $100 an hour

IMO that's not really out of line depending on the headers and current mods that have to be worked around.

I'd suggest jackstands and two floor jacks. Also a 13mm wrench and 13mm ratcheting wrench along with the other tools you will need. PB blaster for the manifold to h pipe fasteners and orange high temp rtv for the headers to heads connection. Stage 8 locking bolts work well for the areas you can't reuse the stock studs.

bullitt boy

Reaction score
when you are about 6 hours in that quote is gonna look cheap. Box of band aids for you knuckles and lots of beer. Have fun and be careful it will be a great feeling to have done em yourself and saved that $$.

msczesny1186

forum member
Reaction score
Do it yourself man. It's not hard just takes some time to do it. Get a buddy and a 30pack. There are some step by step write ups out there. That's how I did it. You'll get banged at any performance shop in nj.

MADGT

forum member
Reaction score
I paid $600...did not have time, space, nor patience to deal with the project...best decision I have made.

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
I do not have shop overhead but would change $500 to install them just cause pita. Now, bring out the dice or cards and you likely win it back lol

Last edited:

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
5-6 hours is what I've been quoted. I'm only thinking shop as my weekends are usually slammed with parental responsibilities and I'd like to weld everything.

ZPounds09GT

forum member
Reaction score
My dad just had his 5.0 done and the shop charged him $550 at $85 an hour so roughly 6.5hrs. Kooks lontubes and mid pipe were installed.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Leave the stock manifolds on and save yourself all the trouble.

I wouldn't put headers on unless I was going for over 600hp.

They don't make that much power, they are a PITA, they heat up the engine compartment and they are expensive.

My $.02

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
My dad just had his 5.0 done and the shop charged him $550 at $85 an hour so roughly 6.5hrs. Kooks lontubes and mid pipe were installed.

That's a great price, it doesn't take very long if you know the right procedure.

Leave the stock manifolds on and save yourself all the trouble.

I wouldn't put headers on unless I was going for over 600hp.

They don't make that much power, they are a PITA, they heat up the engine compartment and they are expensive.

My $.02

This is good information. Biggest gains will be seen in a forced induction platform, or with a solid heads and cams setup...An off-road midpipe with a good tune is the best bang for your buck in a light modified application

ZPounds09GT

forum member
Reaction score
That's a great price, it doesn't take very long if you know the right procedur

Agreed and it really didn't take long, it took longer for them to take everything off than it did for them to put them on.

And I somewhat agree in terms of power although the 5.0's gain a decent amount from them and sometimes you just want that unbeatable sound, although cams still beat out headers in terms of sound IMO.

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
As mentioned above headers are really not worth the money unless you are basically doing it for sound. And nothing sucks worse than having a mean sounding car that gets dusted by a quiet jap car... :doggy:

-They are a pita to install
-They are a pita in future for leaks etc
-They may promote cabin drone
-They generate a TON of heat in the engine bay and floor boards
-They do NOT perform much better than stock manifolds unless going for HIGH power (this is not some 1970 chevy pickup)
-They are INSANE expensive $$/HP
**in most applications they are equivalent to fart cans on a ricer but that is just my opinion. I hate a slow ass car that is loud to top it off.

I would put that money towards performance but that is me. I know some people like those ridiculously HUGE tits on a woman that you can do absolutely nothing with and would never be seen in public with the woman they are attached to

hugeboobs_zpse827e650.jpg

Last edited:

Gremlin85

forum member
Reaction score
I'm going to pitch in my additional 2 cents and say some of these guys are right....

I did my own "experiment" going from stock to LT's and I found that you can have almost the same power from just going to catless mids on the Coyote if staying NA.

Unless you plan to go FI or large nitrous shots, then it's not worth it. I took the plunge as I have plans to go FI.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back