Heads and Cams...

Haze28

forum member
Reaction score
I was planning on doing a set of custom heads from SuttonHP when I have my cams done until I found out what the cost of the install was for them. I still want to do them but have started to consider doing them myself. I just wanted to know what kind of job I am looking at if I do decide to tackle this project. I will be having a couple friends help a little that know a hell of alot more then me but I would like to do the majority of the work myself.

Would this be a bad idea for someone that has never done it before? What tools and other parts are needed to do this job? Thanks in advance for any info!

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Do not try it yourself unless you have a friend who has done it several times and is willing to help you. There is a chance that you can degree the cams wrong and jack up your new heads/valves.

Plus, you should read the instructions to make sure you understand the job.

If you don't have the right tools, you could be spending some coin there too.

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Agreed... I did mine myself with the help of someone that I KNEW no matter what came up, it was covered, air tools, and pretty much a Snap-On truck at my disposal as well as ALLDATA.

The car was down a month... BUT I changed EVERYTHING, new tensioners, phasers, chains, etc... Everything is new but my bottom end.

PM me if you want more specifics.

THE MODS ARE WORTH IT!!

Haze28

forum member
Reaction score
Agreed... I did mine myself with the help of someone that I KNEW no matter what came up, it was covered, air tools, and pretty much a Snap-On truck at my disposal as well as ALLDATA.

The car was down a month... BUT I changed EVERYTHING, new tensioners, phasers, chains, etc... Everything is new but my bottom end.

PM me if you want more specifics.

THE MODS ARE WORTH IT!!

The guys that I will be having help me have done alot of Mod motors but have never messed with a 3valve. I will be talking to them about it in the next few weeks and will make my decision soon.

If I let Sutton do the install it'll be almost 5 grand for parts, install and tune/dyno time. For that much I could almost do a whipple...

Speeddmn

forum member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine has mainly worked on 2v and 4v motors. But didnt have any troble tackling a couple sets of cams and springs. It's fairly straight forward if you already have the 2v/4v knowledge. Shoot we even broke one of the sprial wraped springs on the can and fixed it w/o a hitch. If your buddies know mod motors and have the correct tools, then it sould go easy. Plan for a weekend worth of wrenching.

tagle281

forum member
Reaction score
It's really not that hard. Since you have the heads off you will already have the new springs in correct? That's probably the hardest part right there. If you research it and study the timing part it's not hard.

silverandstock

Reaction score
I did my own cam swap there are a couple of specialty tools i needed but they cost way less than to have someone else do it. I wouldnt be afraid of a head swap myself but i have taken apart a a four valve or two. but theres only one way to learn and guess what everyone did it for there first time no matter who they are...

Corpo

I
Reaction score
Just wondering if someone can list the tools needed. I want to make sure I have them all before I start. And I mean for a head swap, like is there a cam shaft holding tool or something like that.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
If you have to ask... you should take it to a shop... LOL

Sorry,had to. There is a recommendation to use a chain wedge and a spring compressor made for this car, but I have done the job several times without them.

Corpo

I
Reaction score
Gotta learn somehow right? I'm not talking about just a cam swap, I mean head swap. I don't think a timing chain wedge will do any good. And in my research I've read I need to keep the cams and crank timing marks in the proper positions and it will be fine.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
I can spend some time on the phone with some tips this weekend... or I can type up something and post it here. The phone is good if you have questions as we go, but whatever works...

Corpo

I
Reaction score
Oh man tips would be great, I found good walkthroughs on cam installs but I need to know about head swaps. I don't think I'm going to get a degree wheel if I can't make adjustments to the timing anyway.

I can't talk on the phone because I'm out of the country currently. In a few weeks I'll be ready to do the job though. I'm sure more people the me will find the tips useful. Thanks alot.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Cool. I'll type something up and post it. I'll need a couple of days. There isn't enough time in the day during the week.

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
well I maybe pulling my heads for a second time maybe I will document the steps this time? :thud:

I did mine with common hand tools, I have a bench spring compressor that I can loan you if you pay for shipping.
I can also that made the spring job a breeze.. if the heads already come with springs then you are already half way there,
the hardest part I found was doing the exhaust, oh and you will need a pulley puller, I have that too that I can lend out if you can't find one.

You can also rent all the tools needed here
Freedom Racing Tool and Die
641-442-5536
www.shopFreedomRacing.com

[email protected]

Last edited:

Corpo

I
Reaction score
Yeah already bought one of there spring tools. They have great customer service. You should document the steps! I would love to see the process. I haven't got around to mine just yet because I'm out of country working, I will be doing this mid sept

HC_Tad

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So did anyone ever get around to the write-up??

I'm sure you're talking about the complete head swap rather than a cam swap, but here is a great write-up for a cam swap! http://home.comcast.net/~cookpaging/hammeron/cams/hotrodcams.html
Also, just in the past couple months, we have further modified the FR-303-1039-TD 3V Valve Spring Compressor and FR-303-1175-TD 3V Timing Chain Locking Wedge; making the job much easier than ever before!

JP229

forum member
Reaction score
I'm sure you're talking about the complete head swap rather than a cam swap, but here is a great write-up for a cam swap! http://home.comcast.net/~cookpaging/hammeron/cams/hotrodcams.html
Also, just in the past couple months, we have further modified the FR-303-1039-TD 3V Valve Spring Compressor and FR-303-1175-TD 3V Timing Chain Locking Wedge; making the job much easier than ever before!
Yeah, I already have the cams in lol. GOOD write up right there though.

Corpo

I
Reaction score
ok, well i went and swapped my heads. it actually isn't that bad of a job. when i did the heads, i also did a oil pan and oil pump and engine mounts while i was in there. the oil pan and engine mounts were more of a pita then the heads were.

Dont be scared! take your time and double check your timing marks a million times and you will be fine. if in doubt, remove the timing chains and check your marks again. dont forget to prime your oil system before reinstalling the timing chain cover.

first thing, and i say this in general, if you can pull your intake manifold. you can do this job. if you dont understand things mechanically. dont do it.

also note, refer to the online ford service manual for torque specs and other useful information. like how to mark your timing chain if you dont have any visible marks

so, start by draining your coolant, and oil.

next removing your battery, battery trey, intake, intake manifold (fuel rails, injectors), engine belt, alternator, water cross over, radiator fans. disconnect hoses and electrical connectors as needed.

remove the crank pully, you will need some sort of puller, i have steeda udp's so i used a steering wheel puller. i think the stock crank you would need a 3 arm pulley. cant remember.

remove the power steering pump, it has two studs going into the timing chain cover.

i removed the water pump, not sure if you need to or not. coolant will drip into the oil pan with it off, so use something to cover the front of your oil pan.

now remove the coil packs, then unbolt the valve covers and remove.

next remove the timing chain cover. you should be looking at something like this!

dsc00430vm.jpg

piece of cake.

now using your old crank bolt, turn the engine over until your at TDC. refer to the service manual. remove the timing stuff. its not that hard, do not use a impact! if you put the car in gear with the e-brake on you can get the phaser bolts out before you remove the tensioners. be careful not to twist your tensioners if you plan on reusing them. they have a seal behind them that is easy to tear. and if you break that seal you need a whole new tensioner.

now you should be looking at this

dsc00446qq.jpg

now remove your heads, 10 bolts, and the exaust manifold/header bolts, and there is a stud on the back of each head, one side holds the heater hoses the other is a gournd wire. in the valley of the block there is a head temp sensor. dont forget to swap that over to the new heads.

I just left my exaust right where it was.

dsc00452b.jpg

the stock head bolts are garbage now. just like the old crank bolt.

now clean the deck surface of the block. scrape it with plastic only, and carb cleaner helps. i used my finger nails for some of it. it was very time consuming. i'm sure google has a better way somewhere. or maybe someone can chime in with tips.

i soaked up all the coolant after i took the picture. and i tried to clean some of the carbon build up off the pistons. pretty bad for 25000km's i think... oh well.

now since i had the heads off i swapped all the rockers, lifters, and sensors while they were off the engine. it was easy. i unbolted the old cams off the old heads little by little until the spring tension was released. make note of the keyway in the old cam. then swapped it all over.

dsc00460mv.jpg

using my 'note' of the old cam keyway, i placed my new cam on top of the rockers in the new head, and slowly bolted it down. i placed either edge of the new cams on blocks since the lift is much greater then stock. i just worked my way around until they were all snug. didn't take more then 5 minutes. torque to 89 inch/lbs. follow the sequence in the service manual or the cam swap guides avalible.

now i installed phaser limiters. very easy job. loosen all 5 bolts, remove 4 that dont hold the clock spring. twist the plate off to the side. watch for a little spring with a valve on it. it will pop out at you and you could lose it.

dsc00470ag.jpg

except i had a hitch. i followed livernois instructions and ended up over torquing one bolt. the one that holds the clock spring

dsc00465q.jpg

the torque on these bolts is 89 inch/lbs. livernois says 170, but that works out to 14 ft/lbs. a grade 10.9 8mm bolt yeilds (read FAILS) at 14 ft/lbs

dsc00472fy.jpg

i took this time to install motor mounts, new oilpan, new oil pump, and paint the valve covers, and timing cover. it looks good!

dsc00440y.jpg

dsc00439xs.jpg

dsc00474ix.jpg

the oil pan i had to use a engine jack to lift the engine, and i had to drop the k-member. not so bad. remove your tires, remove your motor mounts (one of the bolts were already lose!). hold it in place with a jack. remove the 4 bolts that hold it to the frame. lower it. unbolt the pan, some of the RTV ended up ripping the stock oilpan gasket so i had to replace it. and chase all you oilpan bolt holes! i had to in order to get the bolts back in. some shit must of gotten into the threads. pita. this point i unbolted the oil pickup from the oil pump. then 3 bolts i removed the oil pump from the block. installed the new stuff. RTV the pan gasket in the back to cover rear block cover gaps. i swapped the motor mounts and lifted the k-member back up. bolted it back up and lowered the engine.... whew...

now go place your new head gaskets on the block deck, ensure all the cylinders are clean.

i had new header studs to install with my new stuff. so i put them in the bottom four on each head before putting the heads on the block.

i placed the new heads on the new gaskets, be careful with the head gaskets. the tabs that go to the timing cover can be folded over if your not careful.

at this point people who are smart would check the piston to valve clearance, and probably degree the cams to ensure its right... well, i didnt. worked out for me.

so using new arp head studs or new tty head bolts. bolt down the heads. i followed the service manual for torque sequence. but i went 3 stages, 30-60-90 ft/lbs (as per ARP instructions) i also used the 2v head studs. i kept one thread at the top of the studs visible. i used the supplied lube and worked the studs in and out of the block a few times.

now i inserted the header gaskets and bolted them back on... i just went for 'tight' because i cant get a torque wrench in there.

the fun part is getting the timing stuff back on. put the guide on the drivers side. check the service manual for torque specs. mark your chain. hold one link and mark it. then mark the one on the far end of it... they got a nice picture of what i mean in the service manual.

Edit: this should help.

put your phaser on with a new phaser bolt, dont torque it yet. you should be able to put your marks in line with the mark on the crank sprocket and the phaser sprocket easily. you can turn your engine over a little if it helps.

i used a zip tie to keep the tensioner compressed. worked just fine.

this is where two sets of hands help. try and get the chain slack over on the tensioner side of the guides. have your friend hold the chain tight, then you can reinstall the tensioner arm. then the tensioner, apply a little oil to the seal. cut your zip tie and remove it. now VERIFY your timing chain marks.

dsc00486wv.jpg

thats one side

the challenging side is next, lol. its really the same process. i had to turn my engine backward a little, and hold the cam forward a little to get the timing chain in place on its marks. then i installed the tensioner arm and tensioner while holding tension on the chain and holding the cam forward a bit. once you cut the zip tie on this side it should hold it self.

VERIFY ALL THE TIMING MARKS AGAIN! its hard to see your back chain on the crank but get your head in there, use a mirror, whatever you got.

put your crank position sprocket back on, its stamped which way is front

now prime your oil system. there is a thread on here on how to do that. using a garden sprayer and a 1/4 npt to barb fitting. put it in place of your oil pressure sensor by your oil filter. make sure you got a new oil filter ready to go.

watch you chain tensioners get tighter. now put the car in gear and torque your phaser bolts down. follow the service manual procedure.

now reinstall everything you removed. the service manual has torque sequences and procedures. dont forget to rtv the gaps in the gaskets. and the crank bolt keyway.

fill fluids, try and wait 24 hours to let the rtv cure.

install tune. fire it up!

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back