Heat Exchanger and Fan Questions.....

SuperSleeper

Reaction score
So long story short my S/C 07 GT lost it's first and hopefully last battle against a wild hog. It is in the shop with a decent amount of front end damage. Need to replace Roush heat exchanger, radiator & fan, a/c condenser, and front bumper.

I've decided to go with the Roush front bumper, Mishimoto Alum. Radiator, Mishimoto 14" slim fan, oem a/c condenser, and the AFCO Pro-series heat exchanger w/ dual fans.

My concerns are with the fitment of everything and the mishimoto fan has a disappointing 1300 cfm. Will this be enough cooling to keep my radiator from overheating? I figured the slim fan would be best to allow more clearance for the H/E, Condenser, and Radiator. I am also installing a 2.5" cowl hood to help extract the heat. Some dimensions are below. Thanks for any help yall can provide!

Mishimoto Slim Electric Fan: 2.65"
AFCO H/E:
10" tall x 22.44" wide x 2" thick
Mishimoto Radiator:
29.3" x 21.5" x 2.55"
OEM Condenser:
24 X 16.56 X 0.63 in.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Not familiar with the Mishimoto fan but the 2013 GT500 fan is a direct drop in unit that's over an inch narrower than stock and flows more air. If you're interested I'll go dig up the part number. Priced reasonably as well.

SuperSleeper

Reaction score
Not familiar with the Mishimoto fan but the 2013 GT500 fan is a direct drop in unit that's over an inch narrower than stock and flows more air. If you're interested I'll go dig up the part number. Priced reasonably as well.

Hm that sounds like a better set up. Let me see if i can find it online for a decent price.
If you have the part number handy I would appreciate it!

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
That's it. Scott, Gallopingford and myself have all installed it and several others I'm sure. Check with Steve at Tasca Ford for your best price.

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score
There are no fitment issues with that setup.
From front to back....
Your HE bolts to the front bumper support brace. It is miles away from the AC condenser.
Your AC condenser will go in same location...there wasn't a fitment issue from the factory.
Your radiator is a drop in...no fitment issue from factory with that, either.
Your fan goes where the OEM went..right up on the radiator.

If anything, you'll pickup a little clearance with the slim fan, but not much.

The one thing in your setup that I'd change...the AFCO HE. It's just a dual pass.
I run the AFCO w/dual fans, but if I had it to do over I would've bought the VMP dual pass w/dual fans.
It is a little bigger than the AFCO...and that M90 you're running needs all the help it can get.

SuperSleeper

Reaction score
That's it. Scott, Gallopingford and myself have all installed it and several others I'm sure. Check with Steve at Tasca Ford for your best price.

Sweet! Gonna place the order first thing in the am..thanks again skwerl

There are no fitment issues with that setup.
From front to back....
Your HE bolts to the front bumper support brace. It is miles away from the AC condenser.
Your AC condenser will go in same location...there wasn't a fitment issue from the factory.
Your radiator is a drop in...no fitment issue from factory with that, either.
Your fan goes where the OEM went..right up on the radiator.

If anything, you'll pickup a little clearance with the slim fan, but not much.

The one thing in your setup that I'd change...the AFCO HE. It's just a dual pass.
I run the AFCO w/dual fans, but if I had it to do over I would've bought the VMP dual pass w/dual fans.
It is a little bigger than the AFCO...and that M90 you're running needs all the help it can get.

Ah I see..12" tall x 24" wide x 2.75" thick. That little bit will make a difference. And it's only $30 more so what the heck. Thanks for the info man!

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This shows the SVT fan on the left with 7 blades and the OEM fan on the right with 6 blades:

In this picture the level is sitting flat on the OEM fan and you can see it over the SVT fan. It illustrates the SVT fan is an inch or so narrower than the OEM fan.

SuperSleeper

Reaction score
That is EXACTLY the opposite of how a cowl hood works.:thud:
Not understanding what you meant here exactly..

A cowl hood allows the hot air that accumilates at the back of the engine bay near the fire wall to escape through the opening in the back of the hood, then creates a low pressure spot in front of the windsheild and actully pulls cool air in.which in turn cools the engine compartment.

Why would they make a hood that draws hot air in?

This shows the SVT fan on the left with 7 blades and the OEM fan on the right with 6 blades:

In this picture the level is sitting flat on the OEM fan and you can see it over the SVT fan. It illustrates the SVT fan is an inch or so narrower than the OEM fan.

Thanks now I can definitely see the difference

Last edited by a moderator:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
A cowl hood allows the hot air that accumilates at the back of the engine bay near the fire wall to escape through the opening in the back of the hood, then creates a low pressure spot in front of the windsheild and actully pulls cool air in.which in turn cools the engine compartment.
Huh? How can a hood allow heat to escape at the rear at the same time it is pulling air in.....through the same opening.

A cowl induction, key word induction, hood allows air to be pushed in (there is no pulling) which adds outside air (cooler) into the engine compartment. On the S197's this is a problem because they already have way too much air under the hood, which causes lift and reduces airflow through the radiator. Cowl hoods on S197's only slow the car, create front end lift and reduce airflow through the coolers.

It's too bad because I love how cowl hoods look.

Cowl induction hoods are only effective if the opening is sealed to the "intake" of the motor. A good example is NASCAR. They have cowl induction and it is sealed directly to the air cleaner which feeds the motor with nice cool slightly pressurized air.

If you want a functional hood that will improve cooling look toward something with real heat extraction. GT500 hoods, Tiger racing, etc.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
I think the OP means it allows heat to escape at idle/low speeds, and draws in cool air above X mph. Not sure that's how it works, but that's how I read his post.

SuperSleeper

Reaction score
Huh? How can a hood allow heat to escape at the rear at the same time it is pulling air in.....through the same opening.

A cowl induction, key word induction, hood allows air to be pushed in (there is no pulling) which adds outside air (cooler) into the engine compartment. On the S197's this is a problem because they already have way too much air under the hood, which causes lift and reduces airflow through the radiator. Cowl hoods on S197's only slow the car, create front end lift and reduce airflow through the coolers.

It's too bad because I love how cowl hoods look.

Cowl induction hoods are only effective if the opening is sealed to the "intake" of the motor. A good example is NASCAR. They have cowl induction and it is sealed directly to the air cleaner which feeds the motor with nice cool slightly pressurized air.

If you want a functional hood that will improve cooling look toward something with real heat extraction. GT500 hoods, Tiger racing, etc.

Thank you for the informative information, apparently I was under the wrong impression of how a cowl hood functions (along with a lot of other people on different forums after doing some research). This makes since though. I will look into a heat extractor hood.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Thank you for the informative information, apparently I was under the wrong impression of how a cowl hood functions (along with a lot of other people on different forums after doing some research). This makes since though. I will look into a heat extractor hood.
No worries, common misconception. I remember when I didn't understand cowl induction hoods. It's a bit counter intuitive.

Check out the Cervini's heat extractor hood. It's a good daily driver hood, it works and it looks good in person. You should be able to get one pretty cheap now too.

cer-1179_9749.jpg

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score

OMG!!!! I have had my 2013GT500 SVT fan in its box for over 1 year!!!
When I bought it, when they first became available for purchase, I had already installed the OEM fan. Its been sitting in my garage since.

I am so stoked its narrower than the stock fan and I have a crammed engine bay!!!

AWESOME!!!
:partysmilie:

Back