Heat exchanger

corey5988

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, I know Afco, Shelby, etc. I'm thinking outside the box a bit maybe. But how would an aluminum Griffin/BeCool/whatever 2 row radiator serve as a heat exchanger? I've found one, that I believe will fit, though I haven't measured. I've found a Griffin that measures 31"x16"x3". I know the hosing will have to be different than what's on my Roush exchanger. The only issue I can forsee is that the passages may be a bit small, possibly causing more resistance/pressure/burning up the pump? I haven't compared the row size of a radiator to that of the exchanger, but it seems to me that they're about the same as a radiator. What do you guys think? And please only post good usable info, no just say go buy an Afco.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
Talk to Gmitch..he is the resident expert when it comes to overkill cooling for air-to-water cooling.

corey5988

forum member
Reaction score
I've PM'd him, so hopefully he'll be in to provide some good input. For a background my car has the Roush M90 blower with a stock pulley. I drive the care a lot and really want to keep it as reliable and functional as possible. I plan on getting the VMP500 kit in the next year or so and want to keep IATs as low as possible with the Heaton.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
If you can find one, the 2010 M90 intercooler is huge and probably performs almost as well as the Afco dual fan. I had it on my car and went to the Afco and had very little difference.

corey5988

forum member
Reaction score
Hmm, I was unaware of the change. I haven't seen many Roush kits parted out though. Are they a dual pass?

I got the tranny issue fixed btw. Found a new takeoff bellhousing for a good price.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
You don't necessarily want a dual pass...it all depends on your setup. I am currently running a good sized Edelbrock single pass and it is working quite well for me. Nice big 16" fan on it with a shroud I made.

Here is a picture of it (on the left) next to my Afco which I was using. This was before I made the shroud for the fan.

IMAG0846_zps0822e1e3.jpg

And just so you can see the shroud I made..(before I attached it to the exchanger)

IMAG1007_zps9ff86c4f.jpg

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
The 2010 is single pass but it covers the upper and lower grill areas. Here's an old picture from when I bought my M90 kit that shows the size.

IMG_1857.jpg

A single pass will have less internal resistance so the coolant will flow faster. Most of the intercooler pumps lose a huge percentage of volume as soon as some flow resistance is introduced to the system.

Last edited:

corey5988

forum member
Reaction score
I take it, it's just mounted in front of the condensor? That's where I planned to run this, between the core support and crash bar.

You should trade me that M90 inlet and intake for mine.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Yeah, I know Afco, Shelby, etc. I'm thinking outside the box a bit maybe. But how would an aluminum Griffin/BeCool/whatever 2 row radiator serve as a heat exchanger? I've found one, that I believe will fit, though I haven't measured. I've found a Griffin that measures 31"x16"x3". I know the hosing will have to be different than what's on my Roush exchanger. The only issue I can forsee is that the passages may be a bit small, possibly causing more resistance/pressure/burning up the pump? I haven't compared the row size of a radiator to that of the exchanger, but it seems to me that they're about the same as a radiator. What do you guys think? And please only post good usable info, no just say go buy an Afco.

You're going to have a tough time moving enough air through a 3" thick core unless you have everything fenced off and sealed to the grill openings. I have a 16" pusher on my 3" cored front HE. You can feel a whole bunch of air "bouncing" off the face of it. It works a lot better when the factory radiator fan is running too, but everything is sealed up so the radiator fan pulls all the way through the HE. I wouldn't do a 3" core on anything short of a race car.

For off the shelf stuff the Edelbrock and 2010 M90 HE's look pretty darn good, especially if your running a fan.

corey5988

forum member
Reaction score
You're going to have a tough time moving enough air through a 3" thick core unless you have everything fenced off and sealed to the grill openings. I have a 16" pusher on my 3" cored front HE. You can feel a whole bunch of air "bouncing" off the face of it. It works a lot better when the factory radiator fan is running too, but everything is sealed up so the radiator fan pulls all the way through the HE. I wouldn't do a 3" core on anything short of a race car.

For off the shelf stuff the Edelbrock and 2010 M90 HE's look pretty darn good, especially if your running a fan.

So essentially a single row radiator/large single pass HE. I'll keep an eye out for those two, but I haven't seen anything since I've been looking around.

Also have you noticed engine coolant temp increases since the larger HE?

Last edited:

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Saleen extreme heat exchanger is another good option.

Here is a comparo to a 05-09 GT500 H/E vs Saleen Extreme:
IMAG0320.jpg

IMAG0321.jpg

Its a single pass but has dual 7" fans, thicker core, and wider than any H/E thats a bolt on to a S197 Mustang. Along with the baffle kit, it creates a direct air hit to the core:
IMAG0326.jpg

IMAG0325.jpg

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
So essentially a single row radiator/large single pass HE. I'll keep an eye out for those two, but I haven't seen anything since I've been looking around.
It doesn't have to be single pass. I've played with single and double pass (multiple times) and I couldn't test well enough to tell a difference. To me it really doesn't matter. I had my HE's made dual pass because it was easier to package/run the lines that way.

We've had some custom HE's made by Griffin that are a single 1.5" row (they are about 2" thick) with pretty big tubes. They work really well. I would go that way again.

My 2007 has a dual 1.5" core (it's about 3.75" thick) on the front and that sucker cools like mad if you can get air through it. It certainly flows a LOT of water. More than the lines can. My rear HE is a single 1.5" core. Seems to work pretty well. Kinda hard to tell with that much HE exactly what is going on aside from it cools like it's hooked to a lake.

Also have you noticed engine coolant temp increases since the larger HE?
Can't say I have, with any of the stuff we have done.

The only time my car ever ran hot was the first time I got it on the road race track. It was running 240-245deg. Granted it had that POS 2.6L KB on it and it was 100deg out. My IAT's were floating in the 175-185deg range. It was simply HOT!

The car is currently FAR from anything near stock so it's hard to compare. But my radiator, which is just an off the shelf Afco gets all of its air after it goes through the front HE will run right at 175deg (where my fan comes on) when sitting in traffic with 100+deg outside temps. The only way that thing is running hot is if the coolant falls out of it.

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
Another one u can scoop up if u can find one is the one that comes on the coyote whipple kits. It's very big (surface area) and I sold mine to someone on here and it was greatly improved over what they had .

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Where did you get this air damn? I believe that came factory on only a few select Saleens. I just installed my AFCO yesterday and could use this once I start hitting the track again.

On eBay. Look under Saleen baffles.

posted via Tapatalk

corey5988

forum member
Reaction score
o2sys - I found, what appears to be a pretty good deal on a Saleen HE/fan setup. Do you know the dimensions of the actual HE? I just want to make sure that it's substantially superior to the Roush unit.

Also anyone aware of any budget reservoir upgrades? The one from Roush, IMO, is rather small. I've found a unit from a 2012 GT500, that definitely looks deeper, but appears narrower.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Also anyone aware of any budget reservoir upgrades? The one from Roush, IMO, is rather small. I've found a unit from a 2012 GT500, that definitely looks deeper, but appears narrower.

Reservoir size doesn't do anything to help cooling unless it's packed full of ice.

corey5988

forum member
Reaction score
Reservoir size doesn't do anything to help cooling unless it's packed full of ice.

It wouldn't atleast prolong coolant heat up? I can see it not doing much after it's already up to temp, but it seems like it would aid in keeping it cooler for a longer time up to that point.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
VMP tank is also a good choice. Matches the oem coolant tank and holds 3.5 qts.

posted via Tapatalk

blownGTvert

forum member
Reaction score

Thats my experience as well. Having more coolant in the system just takes that much longer to cool down. Theres a really simple solution to combating "high" IATs..... It's called E85.

Back