HELP! Where is this oil leak coming from?

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
Please look at pics and tell me where this oil leak is coming from. New OEM rear main seal and seal retainer plate last summer when I installed the clutch. Going to retorque the oil pan gasket bolts, (pan has never been off).

797C643F-942C-4558-BCD5-32BB3F399CE1.jpeg

CE33C20D-EEA0-43D7-A809-8B4E1E7D167A.jpeg

62456C3A-B28B-4775-9BE2-78D65D752DBF.jpeg

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Rear main is leaking. What seal did you go with when you did the clutch?

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
Installed a new Ford oem rear main seal, and new Ford oem retaining plate. Did everything to spec, hate the thought of having to pull the trans again!

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
It's more likely than the oil pan leaking, I hate to say if but it seems the rear main is bad about this problem.

Clean the oil up really good and recheck it later. Could be from the valve cover running down the back of the block.

It sucks there is no real way to look inside the bell housing through an inspection cover like the old days.

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
It sucks there is no real way to look inside the bell housing through an inspection cover like the old days.

My bell housing has an inspection hole on the bottom.

If the oil pan has never been off and you replaced the rear seal then it is likely the rear main seal leaking.

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Installed a new Ford oem rear main seal, and new Ford oem retaining plate. Did everything to spec, hate the thought of having to pull the trans again!
Did you install the oil slinger along with the rear main seal?

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
I just fixed mine again and no leaks so far for the past few days. I used a ford seal and oil slinger. Plus I bought the Mmr billet rear seal cover just too see if it would give me better luck. I also used the ford silicon gasket maker part number tc-30 for the rear seal cover. I used a lot of that on the bottom two corners as well. Also used a crankshaft Spedi repair sleeve on the snout of the crankshaft. Found that on rock auto. I wasn’t taking any chances this time

Last edited:

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just fixed mine again and no leaks so far for the past few days. I used a ford seal and oil slinger. Plus I bought the Mmr billet rear seal cover just too see if it would give me better luck. I also used the ford silicon gasket maker part number tc-30 for the rear seal cover. I used a lot of that on the bottom two corners as well. Also used a crankshaft Spedi repair sleeve on the snout of the crankshaft. Found that on rock auto. I wasn’t taking any chances this time
What tools did you use to install the oil seal and oil slinger?
I'm about to start an engine build myself.

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
What tools did you use to install the oil seal and oil slinger?
I'm about to start an engine build myself.

I pressed it on with my fingers carefully as I could. The oil slinger was a tight fit so I had to give it a few taps with a rubber mallet to get it started. I know there are special tools listed in the service repair manual to install them. I looked up those tools on amazon and they ain't cheap.

The fact that I used a crankshaft repair sleeve made it a tight fit but I got both of them on there. My crankshaft looked great with no imperfections and dragging my fingernail across didn't detect anything. But I used the sleeve anyway because I didn't want to leave anything to chance. I'm not saying you should use a sleeve and it will work, just telling you what I did.

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
New OEM seal, slinger, and plate. Took extra care to do everything to factory specifications. Not a job that I want to tackle again.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back