Help with oil temp gauge

Manny

forum member
Reaction score
I had an Auto Meter Sport Comp II oil temp gauge (electric) installed and I am not sure it is working right. If I am driving the needle doesn't move from the lowest point on the scale, 140 F. If I stop and let the engine idle it slowly moves up; start driving and it goes back to 140 F. Is this normal? What should I see as the normal operating temp while driving? Thanks in advance.

Manny

forum member
Reaction score
I was told that the sender was put at the same place where the OE sender is.
They put a new connection so as not to interfere with the signal going to the
car computer.

Manny

forum member
Reaction score
That is all I know. It was connected in the same place where the oil temp sensor that goes to the car computer is located. Same place where they connected the oil pressure gauge which seems to be working fine.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I'm no expert, but I was under the impression that oil temp needed to exceed 212 degrees to ensure that any moisture in the oil would evaporate out. Acids can begin to form in water remaining in the oil, which can damage bearings if allowed to sit for long periods of time.

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just venturing a guess here, but the oil pan would be the best place for the sending unit.

Mike

G.T

Reaction score
do you have a pic of where the sender is installed?
perhaps you could check it with a voltmeter... start the car up and read the voltage output from the sensor.
if the output remains constant after the engine warms up, then the sensor is faulty
if the output changes.. check the wiring to the gauge.. and if that checks out, change the gauge!

MikeVistaBlue06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It sounds to me like the sending unit is mounted in a "tee" with the oil pressure sensor. They may have thought it was an oil pressure gauge If so, the oil temp gauge will behave funny like you are seeing.

When you are driving, air is running over the tee and cooling it and it ain't representative of your oil temp whatsoever.

When you stop, the tee starts to heat up from conducting heat out of the engine block and there is no air to cool it, so your oil temp starts to rise.

I think that sending unit needs to be mounted in the oil pan myself.

Of course, I could be wrong!

Hope this helps.

Mike

MikeVistaBlue06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was told that the sender was put at the same place where the OE sender is.

There is no OEM oil temp sensor. The only sensors that measure temp on our cars are as follows:

1. IAT (intake air temp) sensor
2. coolant temperature senstor (CTS)
3. outdoor temperature.

This is why I think they have your sensor mounted with the oil pressure sensor!

Mike

Mike

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
To add to the confusion...

My OE oil temp gauge reads the same as long as the engine is running... no matter how cold the car is...

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
To add to the confusion...

My OE oil temp gauge reads the same as long as the engine is running... no matter how cold the car is...
Huh? Where did you get an OE oil temp gauge?? All I have is oil pressure, water temp, fuel level, and alternator.

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Huh? Where did you get an OE oil temp gauge?? All I have is oil pressure, water temp, fuel level, and alternator.

er... so thats a pressure gauge... guess that esplains that Lucy!

Manny

forum member
Reaction score
It sounds to me like the sending unit is mounted in a "tee" with the oil pressure sensor. They may have thought it was an oil pressure gauge If so, the oil temp gauge will behave funny like you are seeing.

When you are driving, air is running over the tee and cooling it and it ain't representative of your oil temp whatsoever.

When you stop, the tee starts to heat up from conducting heat out of the engine block and there is no air to cool it, so your oil temp starts to rise.

I think that sending unit needs to be mounted in the oil pan myself.

Of course, I could be wrong!

Hope this helps.

Mike

Mike,
I think you are right. Today I connected my SCT2 to the car and my laptop and ran Live Link. I monitored the coolant temperature and that behaved properly. When I tried to monitor the oil temperature it said there was no signal. I think that as you said they mounted it on a tee to the oil pressue.

G.T

Reaction score
your wont be able to datalog the Oil Temperature with Live Link or any other OBD scantool, simply because the oil temp sensor isn't on the CAN bus, but is a standalone sensor for the autometer gauge..

Back