Help with oil temp gauge

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
not to go off-topic, but where did you find this one?
i've looked all around trying to figure out where the PCM reads the ambient temperature from.. found nothing :)

I got one of them fancy mirrors installed at the dealer and it has a compass and outside temperature readout on it. I'm not sure if there is a sensor already on the car they're reading or one that came with the mirror.

I have known other vehicles (chryslers) to have an ambient temp sensor under the battery.

Hope this helps.

Mike

AlloyGT

Lurker
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I got one of them fancy mirrors installed at the dealer and it has a compass and outside temperature readout on it. I'm not sure if there is a sensor already on the car they're reading or one that came with the mirror.

I have known other vehicles (chryslers) to have an ambient temp sensor under the battery.

Hope this helps.

Mike

I added one of those mirrors, and they had to install the sensor too. It's up front, near the grill. This was done at a dealer, so hopefully if there was already a sensor on the car that they could tap into, they would have.

Manny

forum member
Reaction score
I went back to the shop and had the sensor mounted in the oil pan. Just got it back, so I have not driven it very much, and have not been under the car to see what they did. Driving around town, short trips, the sensor settles at about 160 F; at a stop light it goes to 170 F (seen it go to 180 F). Now as previously discussed the operating temperature should be around 220-240 F. So, if the sensor is working ok, the oil temp in the oil pan is quite lower than that.

G.T

Reaction score
Manny, did you read my message on page 1?

Manny

forum member
Reaction score
Manny, did you read my message on page 1?

Yes, I did read your message. But I did not have a voltmeter or the time to go checking. I had to go on a business trip most of this week so I left the car at the shop. Just got it back yesterday.

G.T

Reaction score
Yes, I did read your message. But I did not have a voltmeter or the time to go checking. I had to go on a business trip most of this week so I left the car at the shop. Just got it back yesterday.

i had a similar situation with my fuel pressure gauge reading low pressure and i spent a month tuning and diagnosing the pump and driver modules.

turned out the brand new sensor wasn't working right.

Manny

forum member
Reaction score
i had a similar situation with my fuel pressure gauge reading low pressure and i spent a month tuning and diagnosing the pump and driver modules.

turned out the brand new sensor wasn't working right.

I am definitely getting a signal and it is very repeatable. The only question is am I measuring the oil temperature in the pan or the wall pan temperature? If I accelerate, say from 40 to 60 mph, I notice a drop in temperature. If the sensor is measuring the wall pan temp it will be sensitive to cooling by ambient air. (Of course the sensor might be defective).

I'll try to get some pictures this weekend.

Manny

forum member
Reaction score
pictures attached

I am attaching a picture of the gauges (water temp, oil temp, oil pressure),
a picture of the oil pressure connection (next to oil filter) and a picture of the oil temp connection to the oil pan.

Attachments

• gauges.jpg
    gauges.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 10
  • oilpress.jpg
    oilpress.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 15
  • oiltemp.jpg
    oiltemp.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 13

MikeVistaBlue06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
not to go off-topic, but where did you find this one?
i've looked all around trying to figure out where the PCM reads the ambient temperature from.. found nothing :)

I found it the other day when I was pulling the grille off to install the HIDs in the foglights. It is this little black looking thing (looks like a rubber vacuum plug that has a simple two wire connector on it). I moved mine to the front grille so it would pick up the air temp better.

The MAF unit measure the air temp for the engine.

Hope this helps.

Mike

G.T

Reaction score
I found it the other day when I was pulling the grille off to install the HIDs in the foglights. It is this little black looking thing (looks like a rubber vacuum plug that has a simple two wire connector on it). I moved mine to the front grille so it would pick up the air temp better.

The MAF unit measure the air temp for the engine.

Hope this helps.

Mike

care to snap a photo of it? :)

MikeVistaBlue06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would but I have misplaced my digital camera and can't! I've been looking for the camera for over 3 weeks now. I guess I'll have to buy another one.

It is on the right side of the grille looking at the car (driver's side).

Mike

Mick Mach

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
can I tap my Autometer water temp gauge

into my OE sending unit? what is needed to do this if possible? I would like to run both gauges. thanks!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back