Here's how to fix lawnmower surging idle.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
I've got a Craftsman 5.5hp push lawnmower that I bought about 3 1/2 years ago. It's been a real work horse, but last year started experiencing a problem. While running, the rpm would surge up and down nonstop, and would try to die whenever I changed directions abruptly. For example, pushing the mower towards the fence and then pulling it back to me - it sounded like it wanted to die.

Despite the yearly oil, air filter, and plug change, the surging continued. After reading something on a DIY website, I decided to rebuild the carb. It appears that nearly all Briggs & Stratton mower engines use the same carb rebuild kit, Model #: 5083D, which you can buy at Lowes for $5.

The rebuild is dirt simple. The gas tank and carb come off in one piece. Three bolts hold the tank onto the engine, and five small screws hold the carb onto the tank. Separate the carb from the tank, spray it with carb cleaner, and set it aside. Both gaskets go between the tank and carb.

The rebuild kit comes with a rubber diaphragm gasket and a paper gasket. The rubber gasket is the fuel pump diaphragm - much like 2 stoke jetski engines, the fuel pump operates off of pulses from the engine. After replacing the rubber and paper gaskets, reassemble everything.

The engine purrs like a kitten now. I even figured out how to up the idle a little for when the summer grass gets really high and causes the engine to want to bog.

In any event, if your mower engine starts surging up and down, a $5 carb kit and about 30 minutes of time will have it running like new again.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Yup, it was running lean. A much more common problem now that the EPA regulates small equipment emissions. Manufacturers sell stuff that is on the razor edge of running too lean, and there's often no carb adjustment available. So you burn it up and then buy a new one. Much less harmful to the environment than being able to adjust the carb.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how to put a zoomie header on this thing. And maybe a tach. And some flames on the side.

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
I need to do some maintenance on my craftsman mower too. Cut the yard a couple days ago and noticed it's starting to run a little rough. Maybe I'll get all of this out of the way today after work. Just need to find out what spark plug, filter etc I need for my mower.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Great write up! Was having issues with that a few years ago and had Sears fix it. Never knew what they did but I am sure it will happen again... next time I will fix it myself.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Wicked - I can't tell you how easy it was to rebuild the carb. It's actually not the carb that you're rebuilding. It's simply placing a new rubber diaphragm, a new paper gasket, and a new pump spring between the carb and the fuel tank. Other than cleaning the inside of the carb with cleaner, it's literally a 10 minute job.

So easy, even Skwerl can do it!

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHA!!!! I may do it just as a precautionary item... especially with how cheap and easy it is. thanks!

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
Funny thing. I'm going through the same thing right now. Completely took the motor apart on my lawnmower. I would only start it I put starting fluid or gas on the carb intake. Would run for a second then die. Getting fuel all the way to the carb but nothing after that. Tried to clean the carb out but it has got shit stuck in it bad. The bulb had rusty shit in it which I'm sure got sucked up in the carb. Didnt bother trying TOO hard to clean it out. Found a new one on Amazon for $45. Should be here by Friday.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
The lawn mower that my dad has does the same thing, I think its time to invest in the carb rebuild kit lol ... I hope its nothingl ike the varible venturi carb i had on my old crown vic :chairfall:
I need to do some maintenance on my craftsman mower too. Cut the yard a couple days ago and noticed it's starting to run a little rough. Maybe I'll get all of this out of the way today after work. Just need to find out what spark plug, filter etc I need for my mower.

Thats whats nice about living in NY, you don't have to mow the lawn 6 months out of the year lol

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
^ I havent cut my yard in a couple months but the recent warmer weather got it growing again. I just left home depot with a Briggs and Stratton tune up kit. I'll see how much of a difference it makes. If it still seems like it could use more, I'll buy the carb kit too

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back