Hit the right gear, or hit the wall.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
No, I'm saying that how your transmission reacts to improper input under certain circumstances doesn't apply to a vehicle with a different transmission.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Well I experience the same thing, as Frankie does with his, on my MT-82. If I try to downshift into a gear at improper RPMs, the shifter feels like there is a wall blocking it from engaging fully into the gate. When you let the clutch out without rev-matching into a lower gear (that doesn't get "blocked") though, it does fall on its ass.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just watched the vid. Biggest mistake, hitting the brakes, IMO.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
I've never been in this position but I have tried to down shift from 4th to 2nd with the clutch in and the stick just won't go in... I can't see how that would get forced in, doesn't the new tranny have some safeguards against that?

BTDT, it just goes in, my case was two times due to faulty world class T-5 and with the MT-82 might be a little different but if you are powershifting you going at it hard and with enough assurance that you will screw it.

The problem here, and without knowing the guy at all and his background is mostly people racing high powered cars without ever preparing on learning some car control. It will probably come and bite you sooner or later.

No matter what kind of racing you may do later on, having a car in a safe/closed circuit just to play with it and see what it does when you take it to extremes helps a lot.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Needs a driver mod.

Or an auto trans...

BTDT, it just goes in, my case was two times due to faulty world class T-5 and with the MT-82 might be a little different but if you are powershifting you going at it hard and with enough assurance that you will screw it.

The problem here, and without knowing the guy at all and his background is mostly people racing high powered cars without ever preparing on learning some car control. It will probably come and bite you sooner or later.

No matter what kind of racing you may do later on, having a car in a safe/closed circuit just to play with it and see what it does when you take it to extremes helps a lot.
That's why I told Mason he needs to do some autocross or some road track racing on a flat track with no walls to learn how to control the car in the event of a spin. If you don't know how your car feels when it spins you will have a hard time controlling it in a real world event.

Sucks for this guy, this is one of my biggest fears.

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
Agree, I have saved my ass more than once by ignoring the brakes.

This.

I hit 3rd instead of 5th once, and did a 720. When the car started to spin, I just hit the clutch and started steering. Never even thought about the brakes. Honestly, I was convinced I was going to ball the car up. Checked the car countless times in the garage every day for the next week for damage.

Coincidentally, that happened the same day I bought my truck...

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
This.

I hit 3rd instead of 5th once, and did a 720. When the car started to spin, I just hit the clutch and started steering. Never even thought about the brakes. Honestly, I was convinced I was going to ball the car up. Checked the car countless times in the garage every day for the next week for damage.

Coincidentally, that happened the same day I bought my truck...

I guess the if the car was going to go down, you were going with it :p.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
There ain't no fixing that car. It is definitely totaled! He punched that wall like Ray Rice hit his girlfriend!!!!!!:stfu: Too soon??:crazy:

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score

This. Lots of these cars getting crashed on dragstrips, and at least some of it has to be lack of talent/experience in the seat.

I've always felt the best thing was learning to drive on ice. It translates well.

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
My uncle did that getting on highway once when I was a kid, his 84 has under 9000 miles, being he rarely drives it not used to it, luckily he punched clutch immediately and did not get out of shape but I am pretty sure the rear tires were skipping airborne

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
And that gentleman is why you backhand 4th gear.

At the risk of sounding like a bigger idiot than I already do, what do you mean by "backhanding" the gear?

That's why I told Mason he needs to do some autocross or some road track racing on a flat track with no walls to learn how to control the car in the event of a spin. If you don't know how your car feels when it spins you will have a hard time controlling it in a real world event.

Autocross is a damn good place to learn some car control. Big open parking lot, go hot into a corner, break the rear end loose, and learn how to either recover from it or how to bring it safely to a stop.

Chiron

forum member
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding like a bigger idiot than I already do, what do you mean by "backhanding" the gear?

It look like dis.

into_4th_from_3rd.jpg

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score

Skip to 0:23

Makes VERY difficult if not impossible to physically throw it in 2nd.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back