Hot Rod cam dyno results

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
Yesterday I installed a set of Hot Rod cams and hauled it over to get dyno tuned today. Now, as we all know, there are other cams that make more power. However, there are people that say "the Hot Rod's are for sound only."

I picked up 29 rwhp and 13 ft lbs. HP and torque below 3000 RPM's has dropped slightly.

I dyno tuned the car last month when I installed the LT headers. It made 297 HP 298 ft lbs with a air density of 530' above sea level.

Today, it made 326 HP and 311 ft lbs with a air density of 780' above sea level.

Both dyno tunes were from the same tuner on a Mustang dyno.

I know every car will see different results. However, hopefully this helps solve some of the "sound only" myth about these cams.

Jeffs FRC

forum member
Reaction score
Those are very nice gains. Your gains look to be right on par with any of the nsr cams out there. Do you happen to have a copy of both dyno sheets you could post up? Also how is the driveability?

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
+1 I just had FRPP Hot Rod cams installed in my '09 Mustang GT with similar mods and obtained similar gains on the dyno. Great NSR cams! My wife called me on my cell as I left for work because she thought I started our race car in the garage this morning vs. the Mustang. She was laughing and really enjoyed how the car sounded!

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Are these cams turbo friendly?

Exactly how much torque did you lose? Do you have a before and after dyno sheet to post? Thanks for the info.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't see LT's in your sig Gray Ghost...do you have them?

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Got it..I am doing cams first and LT's down the road....going to try the cam install myself with some help from friends.

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
Got it..I am doing cams first and LT's down the road....going to try the cam install myself with some help from friends.

The only downside to these cams is that you will now experience a condition called "perma grin" every time you start up and drive your car!! :thumb:

SirKnightTG

forum member
Reaction score
Great gains. Great sound. Giggity!

I'm glad I went with the Hot Rods myself. I probably need to just go ahead and fork over the cash and get a dyno tune. I'm getting real sick of this email tune BS.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
2400 miles on my car and I have abused it this much, why not cams? The bad part is after I do the cams/LT's I have nothing else to do..I have no intention in going FI.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good point..I have the BBK 62mm TB so I don't think I will be getting the FRRP TB...and I want to see results of what the FRRP intake does on a cam'd/LT car.

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
I will post the dyno sheets as soon as I get home.

The driveability is excellent. Idles nice at 750 RPM's, throttle response is also improved. Having a good tuner makes all the difference in the world. On the way back to my office, the on board said I was getting 26.4 MPG at 62 MPH. I stopped by the Ford dealer to buy an oil filter, the employees could not believe the cams were from Ford.

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
I'm also waiting on the new FRPP Intake Manifold for my N/A setup. I also have no desire to go F/I with my daily driver. My next upgrade are the brakes to Wilwood 6 piston calipers, etc. since I will do some HPDE on the road courses beginning this year. Otherwise, its done!

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
LOL...do you know how many times I have said I am done?

After I do the cams/LT's the only thing left would be the FRRP intake and heads...have you thought about heads?

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I will post the dyno sheets as soon as I get home.

The driveability is excellent. Idles nice at 750 RPM's, throttle response is also improved. Having a good tuner makes all the difference in the world. On the way back to my office, the on board said I was getting 26.4 MPG at 62 MPH. I stopped by the Ford dealer to buy an oil filter, the employees could not believe the cams were from Ford.

I get no where near 26 mpg...16-17 is the best I do!

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
I did think about heads at one time, but that's why I went with a NSR cam for stock heads. I need to use my funds on other expensive hobbies, LOL.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back