Hot Rod cam dyno results

SirKnightTG

forum member
Reaction score
I get no where near 26 mpg...16-17 is the best I do!

How are those 4.10's with your auto? Is your low mpg due to those? I've been seriously thinking going 4.10 b/c of how hilly it is here in my area but 3.73 would probably still be excellent. I don't go nuts about mpg that much, but at the same time I don't want to completely kill it since it's my DD and I have a long drive. I also think it's cool being able to say I can get 25.5 with my mods and power level. :) If I drove slower I could probably get more, but I never tried b/c I hate going under 70, lol!

Last edited:

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
All things considered equal - the 4.10 gears will *slightly* lower your MPG because your engine RPMs will be higher at the same speed compared to 3.73s.

Last edited:

SirKnightTG

forum member
Reaction score
That's one thing I thought about with 4.10s is that the mpg difference between them and 3.73 is probably so small it would be hard to even notice it if you tried. It's like 200 rpm at most which is not much. Plus if I can get 25.5 at 80 (which is 2500 rpm for me) it looks like rpm plays a much smaller role than throttle pos and load does on there.

Last edited:

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Being in the Hampton Roads area and dealing with the f&&ked up traffic and drivers I see 50/50 city/highway and I am the same way about being under 70!

Not sure if the 410's hurt as I did not have the garbage 331's in for long...not sure how much the tune changing the shift points/firmness changed mpg either.

Torch Red GT

forum member
Reaction score
I gained 1 mpg after 4.10s, but 95% of my driving is city.
Now im not sure if i want hot rods or nsr stage 2s, or neither since in california you cant have longtubes = /

SirKnightTG

forum member
Reaction score
BTW, the 25.5 is HWY of course, but my average (with 50/50 city/hwy) I get 20-21 (22 in the summer when there's less traffic due to school being out). Every once and a while I get 19 on average when the past week has had horrible traffic due to bad weather the whole time.

fhlh

Grabber? Don't Know Her!
Reaction score
I gained 1 mpg after 4.10s, but 95% of my driving is city.
Now im not sure if i want hot rods or nsr stage 2s, or neither since in california you cant have longtubes = /

Same here... from 3.31 to a 3.73 and the city mpg is improved, and hiway is about the same.

Different car with 3.73's.. that's for sure:thumb:

OP thanks for the post... wouldn't mins some NSR's and Long-Tubes as my next adventure.

Last edited:

2L8IWON

forum member
Reaction score
The bad part is after I do the cams/LT's I have nothing else to do..I have no intention in going FI.

Ha ha ha ha, I heard you say that about cams as well... it's only a matter of time :popcorneat:

OP thanks a ton for the info! I personally didn't care if this was a "sound only" mod as sounding like a 70s muscle car is pretty BA. But all that and HP gains as well. Hell that is like finding a hot as hell chick that is actually intelligent.

Last edited:

captainN8

forum member
Reaction score
So the driveability is ok with the FRPP cams with a manual then? All these posts I have seen on here with complaints about that. Who does everyone with good driveability have doing their tunes? I want my 2010 pounding holes in the ground! and with stock springs! I think it's a project me and pops could do in a weekend. Mine is my DD. Although, I don't have LTs but hope to in the near future, but surely I would still gain something?:thumb:

oh yea, gear change to 3.73 soon too.

Ricosbullitt

forum member
Reaction score
About time someone posted up some truth regarding these cams. Those are some really good numbers for NSR. Waaaaay to much B.S. has been spewed on forums about these cams.

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
The weather forecast for this weekend sucks, but once it improves I'll take some in car video while driving around the block so you can see how well the driveability is with this cam. I'm not sure what all the BS was about on this cam either - its great! I think it has something to do with the profit margin on the various aftermarket cams.

Last edited:

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
excellent thread.
i was beginning to wonder about the Hot Rod cams that i have in my car with some of the stuff ive read on here....so myself and Brn N Rbr went to have my car dyno'ed this past Monday just to see exactly where my car is at....when the car was tuned after the header and Hot Rod cam install the car saw 311 rwhp and 304 tq. However the weather that day was horrible.

So we wanted a 2nd opinion....and my results are in my sig....324 rwhp and 317 tq. We even did a comparison shot of my dyno run vs his and while the numbers are almost identical down low (no drop off in low end with the cams), ~ 4,800k my car clearly pulls at the top of the tach, where his starts to flatline and then eventually lose hp.

Preston951

Foglight delete kit!
Reaction score
Awesome info! Those are some awesome gains. And you even got a great sound to go with it!

In city driving with my 4.10s I range from 20-16mpg, depending on my driving style.
If you drive like that van next to you, you can easily get GREAT mpg. It takes less time to get the car into a cruising gear.
If you drive like a bat out of hell... Goodbye dinosaur fossils. :)

SirKnightTG

forum member
Reaction score
Awesome info! Those are some awesome gains. And you even got a great sound to go with it!

In city driving with my 4.10s I range from 20-16mpg, depending on my driving style.
If you drive like that van next to you, you can easily get GREAT mpg. It takes less time to get the car into a cruising gear.
If you drive like a bat out of hell... Goodbye dinosaur fossils. :)

Do you ever do any highway?

Brn N Rubr

forum member
Reaction score
I don't have my cams or long tubes installed yet either, should be in the big brown truck tomorrow. Hopefully I'll squeak past him after the install because of my under drive pullies and CMDPs. Can't race dyno numbers though, he's got 4.10s and I have my stock 3.55s. Should keep it quite interesting!

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
I don't have my cams or long tubes installed yet either, should be in the big brown truck tomorrow. Hopefully I'll squeak past him after the install because of my under drive pullies and CMDPs. Can't race dyno numbers though, he's got 4.10s and I have my stock 3.55s. Should keep it quite interesting!
true true....but you have the driver mod that i used to have but dont anymore :(

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
the real question is, what are they like in rush hour traffic? thats what i need to know

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back