JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Here's the crank pulley.

I just looked at the WP pulley and it has a ford part # on it but i can't read it. i have a picture of that as well.

If you need a better picture, let me know...

I would say you've found your lack of boost problem - not the cams!!

SpongebobGT asked this exact question back in post# 24.

Last edited:

tbrock

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
glad you figured it out. I had udps on my car and went back to stock prior to the Saleen install. Goodluck.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
You think the crank pulley could be responsible for 4-5psi??

The combination of an U/D crankshaft pulley and belt slip could easily account for 4-5 psi loss of boost.

Step 1 of any Saleen S/C installation is to remove any previously installed U/D pulleys and install the OEM balancer. Surely you read that in the install instructions right??? That is why aftermarket companies (Innovators West, ATI Performance Products, etc.) offer O/D crankshaft pulleys - to increase boost.

Install the OEM balancer, 90mm metal smooth idler pulley next to the P/S pump, V10 W/P pulley and the belt that I have recommended and you'll be good to go.

PS: the engineering number that will be stamped or laser etched on the stock 2005+ 4.6L W/P pulley is XL3E-8A528-AA. The engineering number that will be stamped or laser etched on V10 W/P pulley is XC2E-8A528-AA.
100_1866.jpg

Last edited:

Lee's05GT

Formally Qksixx
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have the thumper cams in my 05 and when i went to get it tuned it wasnt picking up boost at all, come to find out the vacuum lines were ran wrong. Saw about 9lbs with 3.2 pulley.

NjsGT

Back in the game....
Reaction score
Oh and um...never swapped a crank pulley before, so anyone have any advice? don't I need a puller tool or does it just unbolt and bolt back? and is it necessary to remove anything in front of it?
UDP's= Death to boost....
You will need some kind of gear puller to remove it, they are on there kinda snug..... You will also need some good black rtv silicone to put the stock one back (A nice bead has to be applied in the keyway)

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
UDP's= Death to boost....
You will need some kind of gear puller to remove it, they are on there kinda snug..... You will also need some good black rtv silicone to put the stock one back (A nice bead has to be applied in the keyway)

Might also want to mention he will need a new balancer bolt as the OEM balancer bolt is TTY - one time use.

NjsGT

Back in the game....
Reaction score
Might also want to mention he will need a new balancer bolt as the OEM balancer bolt is TTY - one time use.
Yes, that is true.... OP, that bolt is TTY.... Head to your local ford dealer and pick up anew bolt....

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, so the key way needs a bead of RTV silicone, and I'll need a 3-jaw pulley puller to get it off. I'm going to goto teh autoshop on base so i can use air for this.

My car was running like 10.2 a/f ratios...you think with the new increase in boost, teh a/f should balance out to around 11:1?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
More boost means more air so yes it will be leaner. I would get it retuned for wot.

NjsGT

Back in the game....
Reaction score
Ok, so the key way needs a bead of RTV silicone, and I'll need a 3-jaw pulley puller to get it off. I'm going to goto teh autoshop on base so i can use air for this.

My car was running like 10.2 a/f ratios...you think with the new increase in boost, teh a/f should balance out to around 11:1?
The bolt too.... Theres going to be a large flat washer under the bolt head, you can re-use that...

Also, this is how your sopposed to re-install the pulley and bolt...

Stage 1: Tighten to 90 Nm (66 lb-ft).
Stage 2: Loosen 360 degrees.
Stage 3: Tighten to 50 Nm (37 lb-ft).
Stage 4: Tighten an additional 90 degrees.
Thats right out of the ford service manual

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
thanks! as for retune, i have a BBR email tune right now set for the 3.4" pulley, but it runs REALLY rich right now so I think when I get the boost worked out, it will be spot on, but I'll do a few dyno pulls to check boost readings and a/f readings, as well as get some accurate HP numbers.

with the 3.4", I should still be in the "safe" zone for the motor right? I'm hoping for around 460rwhp. Thats been my goal all along

matt06

forum member
Reaction score
for what its worth the crank pulley from an underdrive pulley set i had from when my car was n/a was the same diameter as the innovators west 10% overdrive pulley i just installed.

matt06

forum member
Reaction score
not sure, installing the overdrive while putting on the whipple. but the 10% od is susposed to add a pound or two. but your right on your car that doesnt make sense as it should be adding boost then not taking it away.....

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back