How to tint your taillights

CCS86

forum member
Reaction score
Nice. Wish he had brought the light outside. I think under some bright sun would give a better idea of how dark it is. Even the 3 coat lens looks dark to me.

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
looks cool. I paid $$ for the black out plastic, but in Cali I didnt have the balls to use it with the money hungry police here. ..

so do I need to clear coat this or just spray? also I dont see the removal link.. what do I need to do to remove it?

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
looks cool. I paid $$ for the black out plastic, but in Cali I didnt have the balls to use it with the money hungry police here. ..

so do I need to clear coat this or just spray? also I dont see the removal link.. what do I need to do to remove it?
After seeing your prior painting attempts (see plastidip) You should probably leave this alone. LOL :evillaugh:

lostsoul

Reaction score
haha.. thanks... I got all the plastic dip over spray off after a couple of weeks =-/..

went to vato zone and they didnt have vht.. they had DuPont or something else like it..

uwishprod

Youtuber Howto
Reaction score
DuPont is about the same product. No real good way to remove it once it's painted. If u watch it on utube it has a link to how dark they are on my old set of lights.

My fog lights were tinted with VHT and I did remove it with aircraft paint remover which if it sits on their long it will melt the plastic. So kinda a use at your own risk.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
My fog lights were tinted with VHT and I did remove it with aircraft paint remover which if it sits on their long it will melt the plastic. So kinda a use at your own risk.

I used the same stuff to try and remove VHT off of foglights. Melted the damned lens so fast it was a POS by the time I was done! LOL!

CCS86

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, using strong solvents on plastic taillights is a recipe for disaster!

Trying to remove this stuff isn't ideal, but the best way I can think would be to use a rotary buffer and a polishing compound (or cutting compound if it's going too slow). You only need to burn through a small thickness, but you don't want to ruin the finish.

Blank

forum member
Reaction score
i watched a youtube vid for removal and some redneck backwoods dude used gas to remove it. now idk how long it was on there but i might try to remove mine and respray em. or just get vinyl tint from AM.

101fng

forum member
Reaction score
i used some finer grit sand paper to wetsand the VHT off my reverse lights. it took some elbow grease, but it did the trick, and as far as i can tell, the surface looks fine after a good polish and buff.

i don't recommend putting a clear coat on top of the VHT though. my clear coat ended up cracking. it looks fine from a distance, but up close it's cracked all to hell.

uwishprod

Youtuber Howto
Reaction score
i watched a youtube vid for removal and some redneck backwoods dude used gas to remove it. now idk how long it was on there but i might try to remove mine and respray em. or just get vinyl tint from AM.

You should post the vid. Sounds like something good to watch.

lostsoul

Reaction score
ohh my F'ing sheet!!

I just spent 40 min taking everything out.. prepping and BOOM.. Found out I got the wrong vht nightshade.. A-holes made one a red color version .. why the hell call it night shade if its red.. like I'm suppose to know they have that.. now I have to drive all the way to vato zone where I know they wont have it and look for the DuPont version and use that because there is nothing else around... F me!

lostsoul

Reaction score
hummmm.. it looks good.. but I wish it was more smooth looking..

IMAG0726.jpg

IMAG0727.jpg

IMAG0728.jpg

IMAG0729.jpg

IMAG0735.jpg

IMAG0734.jpg

I had to use clear tape to tape off the reverse lights. I will see tonight how dark it is. I tried to keep it from being too dark.. just in case does anyone know any brighter bulbs I can use without melting shit?

Misfit_5.0

Tools Required: Beer
Reaction score
I used Nightshades on my SRT4. Not sure if I put too many coats on (5) but I cleared over them when I was done and the tail lights had a purple look to them. But the only time you could see them was at night.

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
hummmm.. it looks good.. but I wish it was more smooth looking..

IMAG0726.jpg

IMAG0727.jpg

IMAG0728.jpg

IMAG0729.jpg

IMAG0735.jpg

IMAG0734.jpg

I had to use clear tape to tape off the reverse lights. I will see tonight how dark it is. I tried to keep it from being too dark.. just in case does anyone know any brighter bulbs I can use without melting shit?

Its because you still suck at painting. Anything involving paint you should stay away from LMAO

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back