How to tint your taillights

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
Its because you still suck at painting. Anything involving paint you should stay away from LMAO

I think your right. I think this is the last attempt to paint anything =-/. Hell, anything I touch turns to poop..

I cleaned it up then sprayed, but maybe hitting it a little with 2K grit paper would have made it look better.

I used rust-o-iluuum . I dont know if VHT would have been better, but I could not find the right one anywhere

^ that doesnt look right. Why is it so matte looking?

it is. like the spray beads up and not flattens out(kind of like how the fucking plasti-dip was suppose to be). I went out again this morning and it actually looks good, but if you get closer you can spot some areas that have that wet look. I'm hoping that it will fade or dry out more... hoping ..

I went out last night to see how dim the tail lights are..

good news is that its still bright and a cop would have to be a complete douche to try to pull me over for that. The bad news is because of the spray look the light is fuzzy looking..

so in the end I'm mixed.. it looks good in the day time, but not perfect up close.... its like deciding what to do with a fat chick at a party, but had a cute face and big boobs.... what to do??????

lostsoul

Reaction score
so I got pissed off and drove to a friends house and re-painted.

this time were used 1500 grit and sanded it down.. also instead of a quick spray and doing 3-5 coats we just sprayed back and forth and made it thick. this gave it more of a shiny finish then before. I wish there was another coating I could put on to give it a smoother service, but it looks good.

IMAG0756.jpg

IMAG0757.jpg

IMAG0758.jpg

uwishprod

Youtuber Howto
Reaction score
so I got pissed off and drove to a friends house and re-painted.

this time were used 1500 grit and sanded it down.. also instead of a quick spray and doing 3-5 coats we just sprayed back and forth and made it thick. this gave it more of a shiny finish then before. I wish there was another coating I could put on to give it a smoother service, but it looks good.

I finished the video on how to clear coat and Ill post a link on the forums when uploaded. But for now to make it shiny you need to

*During sanding be careful on all edges as this is the place where the least paint is and you can sand down to the lens if not careful

-sand with 1000 grit sandpaper and make sure its dull. (Also make sure no shiny little bumps which means need more sanding.)
-then clear coat with about 6 layers.
-finally sand with 2000 grit sandpaper
-then polish and buff.

lostsoul

Reaction score
omg.. haha.. please tell me there is another way. if I touch it it will be fucked , like most things in my life.. I dont know why its not smooth.. I washed off the dirt that sticks to it and sprayed some synthetic wax. but thats about all I can do.. I'm afraid to wipe it because it feels gritty.

also someone said clear coat will make it purple...

well it looks good now.. I just take it as I go.

post up the vid when you got it.. thanks

uwishprod

Youtuber Howto
Reaction score
omg.. haha.. please tell me there is another way. if I touch it it will be fucked , like most things in my life.. I dont know why its not smooth.. I washed off the dirt that sticks to it and sprayed some synthetic wax. but thats about all I can do.. I'm afraid to wipe it because it feels gritty.

also someone said clear coat will make it purple...

well it looks good now.. I just take it as I go.

post up the vid when you got it.. thanks

Ya when the video is up maybe it will help out. Should have it up Monday.

eddyroxx

forum member
Reaction score
first time i did mine i kept getting tiger stripes, im going to do mine in sections like in the vid, just same amount of coats for each one

uwishprod

Youtuber Howto
Reaction score
first time i did mine i kept getting tiger stripes, im going to do mine in sections like in the vid, just same amount of coats for each one

When you get done I posted the video on how to clear coat them as well which might help. But ensure you over lay your coats and keep the coats equal to each taillight

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
Good thread. I just did mine with VHT and mine was a flat or matte finish as well. I am currently clear coating mine. But I need t o go get some 1500 and 2000 sand paper so I can sand them.

quadking7o7

forum member
Reaction score
So I VHT'd my headlight with a light coat....well started with a light coat and went a little too dark so I couldnt see a damn thing at night even with my HIDs. I researched on how to strip off the tint and everyone was say dont use this or that cuz it will melt your lense. Well I decided to try a simple idea. Nail polish remover. All I did was put it on a clean microfiber cloth and rub the lense. It will take some but not much effort. So if anybody has issues with the VHT or just want to strip and redo the lense, USE NAIL POLISH REMOVER. Just an FYI

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back