Hydraulic throwout misery 2016

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Ford part is now $240 USD. I used to buy clutches for $160.

There are equivalents on rock auto - sachs, luk, uncle dorman, etc... from $98 to $150.

The photos show parts with ford emblems on them, probably merely representative.

I think Bruce used a Dorman once with success. I'm looking at an LUK, $98, or centric, $120. They've got to all be made in the same factory.

Comments, ideas?

Dirtleg

BoostCreep
Reaction score
I've swapped the clutch slave between an MT82 and a 3650 without issue. I did have to swap the hydraulic line that came with the slave cylinder between the 2 transmissions as there was just a minor angle difference but that might have been a line that was slightly bent in shipping. And the brand I've been using was a Sachs unit as was the original one in my 07'. So my thought would be they are pretty much the same between the different years.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Ford part is now $240 USD. I used to buy clutches for $160.

There are equivalents on rock auto - sachs, luk, uncle dorman, etc... from $98 to $150.

The photos show parts with ford emblems on them, probably merely representative.

I think Bruce used a Dorman once with success. I'm looking at an LUK, $98, or centric, $120. They've got to all be made in the same factory.

Comments, ideas?

I've always ponied up for the Ford part. It might be the same as a Dorman, I don't know but I do know that I hate working on cars. Especially pulling a transmission. For that reason I spend a little extra and get the Ford part.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I just used an MT82 slave on my 3650 and saved a ton of money doing that. I also have a new exedy slave for sale.

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Dorman is typically very close, if not exactly the same as oem. I put in an Exedy clutch a couple years ago and used their tob. I compared it very closely to the oem one that I took out and they looked identical to me.

I would not pay $240 for oem. I'd either buy the Dorman or offer anothers197gt $100 for his Exedy. I've had no problems with mine even using a pressure plate thats about 50% stiffer than stock, maybe more.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I looked up exedy, failure after failure!

It's all junk, just roll the dice I guess.

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
exedy is also a tier 1 supplier to ford and others, meaning they make the stuff with the ford name on it, but suit yourself, looks like its gonna cost you $240. its not all junk, you only hear about the complaints

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not buying the ford part - it would actually cost me $500. For instance I just priced some $199 valve springs on summitt from a local vendor, it's $350 of my after tax dollars. If I order from Summitt $370.

That exedy is looking pretty good!

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
"I ship to Canada :naughty1:"

Wrap it up with Christmas paper for him. Aren't gifts duty free to Canada, eh?

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
The best part about buying from Dylan would be I could blame him when it failed, and get warranty!

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Using a Doorman currently from Rock Auto now for 3 or 4 years. Only around 20k/mi though. Been working out of state so much I don't drive the car as often as I would like, but when I do... it gets driven. I like Doorman parts as an alternative to Motorcraft, never had issues with Doorman, personally. Although my clutch system is modified, the GT500 master really beats the shit out of that Doorman, and it takes it really well thus far. Though as Bruce stated, consider the job involved and how comfortable you are with the product you're putting in there. I don't mind pulling the trans, I've got a good technique for it now. I'm confident my Doorman isn't going to fail anytime soon either.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
I can confirm the LuK throw out that comes with their clutch kit is in fact a FTE brand, the same as the stock ford I pulled when I did my motor and clutch swap. Also that clutch kit uses a valeo friction disc also same as factory.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Good thing Dylan put some bubble wrap in there, the box was crushed flat but the bearing survived.

$20 in taxes and handling, right on the money.
e97l0qj.jpg

Born in the USA
QP6XTNA.jpg

Hecho en Mexico
GsGbnBj.jpg

FTE
Kan6B9k.jpg

Never forget
6GMDbcY.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back