I think I met my ET limit with my combo.....

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Laura , I think your on the money were your at right now.

Shifting the car higher will not give you much of anything at all . Think about it if lets say your power curve starts to nose dive at 4800 to 5200 why would you shift at 6500 . When the rpms recover on the shift your starting past the curve were its making less power.
You can try it if you want but I dont think your going to see any gains. Now if you have ported heads and cams , then a NA car will run harder with the rpm's because it will make power the more you buzz it . Besides the power curve will be different so you will need to shift according to your new powerband .

As far as powershifting goes , Ive noticed thru many years of racing its harder on the parts for little if any gains.
Quick shifting works just the same and is easier on parts . What I mean is you lift just a tad shifting as quick as possible.

More then anything everyone has different style's and the only thing that is constent is repetition. Just get behind the wheel and try again a few passes the exact same way and compare.

What tires did you run with DR's ? If so 20 psi's is a little high on air pressure try 16 to 17 psi's will work better , and try to leave at the same rpm. If it bogs off the line try 200 rpms higher at a time .

Pete
Thanks Pete. That's what I was thinking when it comes to shifting. I have never gotten my car dynoed, but I am pretty darn sure my power curve is starting to go down right around 6000-6200.

As for shifting. I don't mean to boast, but I am pretty damn quick. Like I said, I am VERY happy that I am consistent.

LegendLives

Reaction score
Laura since I missed going yesterday I am going to try to go to one of the test and tunes. Damn winter is going to be a long one and I'm still looking to better my times also. That 60' is killing me. Are you running anymore this year?

TurboPete

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks Pete. That's what I was thinking when it comes to shifting. I have never gotten my car dynoed, but I am pretty darn sure my power curve is starting to go down right around 6000-6200.

As for shifting. I don't mean to boast, but I am pretty damn quick. Like I said, I am VERY happy that I am consistent.

I know my car make alot more power but I have stock heads and cams also . Although it will obviously show more power the idea is where it starts to drop .

I would say , and this is a guess , that a NA car starts dropping off around 5600 to 5800 . Maybe someone can post a graph of a similar modded car .
So lets say between shifts it drops 1000 rpms , then you would want to shift around 6200 so you land around peak power area .
Again best thing is to run the car and make consistant comparisons.

Pete

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Laura since I missed going yesterday I am going to try to go to one of the test and tunes. Damn winter is going to be a long one and I'm still looking to better my times also. That 60' is killing me. Are you running anymore this year?
John and I are going to try and hit up another TnT in the next couple of weeks. I'll let ya know when we go.
I know my car make alot more power but I have stock heads and cams also . Although it will obviously show more power the idea is where it starts to drop .

I would say , and this is a guess , that a NA car starts dropping off around 5600 to 5800 . Maybe someone can post a graph of a similar modded car .
So lets say between shifts it drops 1000 rpms , then you would want to shift around 6200 so you land around peak power area .

Pete
I have some more time before the Winter hits to work on trying different things. Thanks for the input Pete.

RedFire07GT

11sec N/A 3V
Reaction score
Its real good to see your so consistant with your car Laura. Your making great ETs for the mods you have done. Your winter build will help you alot by trying to break into them 11s! Hope your birthday yesterday was great!!!!

:cake::birthday::partysmilie::rockband::partyguy:

Brandon

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
+100 on shifting at 6500, too many people are caught up on the "but you don't make power there" thing, it's all about where you are in the NEXT gear i've tried and learned 6500-6600 all day!

oh and don't forget to bump your rev limiter to 6800-6900 if you are shifting at 6500 because the throttle blades start closing and the ecu starts pulling timing 300-400rpm before what the limiter is set and you will definitely think you are slower shifting at 6500.

Last edited:

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Its real good to see your so consistant with your car Laura. Your making great ETs for the mods you have done. Your winter build will help you alot by trying to break into them 11s! Hope your birthday yesterday was great!!!!

:cake::birthday::partysmilie::rockband::partyguy:

Brandon
Thanks Brandon!

The fast n/a stock heads/cams guys are shifting at 6500-6800 fyi.

+100 on shifting at 6500, too many people are caught up on the "but you don't make power there" thing, it's all about where you are in the NEXT gear i've tried and learned 6500-6600 all day!

oh and don't forget to bump your rev limiter to 6800-6900 if you are shifting at 6500 because the throttle blades start closing and the ecu starts pulling timing 300-400rpm before what the limiter is set and you will definitely think you are slower shifting at 6500.

Word! I'll work on it.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score

Pete

2hgtrhy.png

this is with my current mods, (yes high numbers for a dynojet) but let's look at the curves, the hp goes flat from 57xx to about 6400, when i shift out of first at 6600 I land at around 3950 which is perfect, if I were to shift out of 1st at 6000 I would land at 3300 3400, hitting me with 40 less hp and 25 less lbs of torque! think about it :) and yes this has been tested at the track in real life.

1st to 2nd 6600
2nd to 3rd 6500

13.375 @105

1st to 2nd 6000
2nd to 3rd 6000

13.561 @ 103

firestang70

SW Ohio Ninja
Reaction score
Laura I ran 12.5s NA (neg DA runs)minus the LTs. I did run a short belt and bypassed the ps pump. I would shift at 6500. OEM tachs are not always close. Try the belt trick its an easy 5 min swap and will give you a little more power. Try shifting at 6500. Compare your slips and make sure you mark what the DA was on each run. Every car and driver is a little different. See if you can find any improvements. Good luck!

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Laura I ran 12.5s NA (neg DA runs)minus the LTs. I did run a short belt and bypassed the ps pump. I would shift at 6500. OEM tachs are not always close. Try the belt trick its an easy 5 min swap and will give you a little more power. Try shifting at 6500. Compare your slips and make sure you mark what the DA was on each run. Every car and driver is a little different. See if you can find any improvements. Good luck!
Thanks!

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Agree'd I use to shift my old combo at 6200 on the stock cams and heads, problem is it falls out of the power band, with me shifting at 6600 on the stock head cam combo it was just over a tenth differnce. 11.97-11.98 to 11.90-11.87 ish

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Agree'd I use to shift my old combo at 6200 on the stock cams and heads, problem is it falls out of the power band, with me shifting at 6600 on the stock head cam combo it was just over a tenth differnce. 11.97-11.98 to 11.90-11.87 ish
Back to the track I go then. Thanks.

qwikhuh

Official Vendor
Reaction score
The fast n/a stock heads/cams guys are shifting at 6500-6800 fyi.

I shift at 6200-6300 and have gone 113 mph NA. I tried shifting higher and it did nothing but slow me down and put more wear on the motor. To maximize ET all motor you are going to have to powershift the car. Even if you are fast when you get off the gas you are losing RPM and that will cost you over 3 shifts in the 1/4 mile. If you do not want to powershift then shifting a little closer to 6500-6600 is probably a good idea. Do you still have the passenger and back seat in? Swap the passenger seat to the driver side and take out the back seat. Again if you are looking for the best ET possible weight is the enemy.

I doubt I will be racing anymore this season so I have a set of Bogarts here and would be happy to return the favor John did for me.

Last edited:

GERMANSHEPERD

forum member
Reaction score
On my bolt-on combo i had my car shift at 6200,6400,6200-mine is an auto tho. When I say bolt-on I mean EXACTLY that, nio longtubes,cams,heads-as delivered from Ford. I think 6200 across the board is spot on for you right now

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm going to hit up quite a bit more TnT's before the winter hits, so I have some time to figure/work things out.

I appreciate all the feedback and advice.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
I guess I'm going to rock the boat and say you should be running very low 12's. Using your mph of 110 and an approximate race weight of 3600 lbs (should about right for you) I'm coming up with a 12.19 ET. Using your 111 trap speed would even net a lower ET of course. Sorry if I'm overlooking them but what are you 60' times?

For reference my car weighs 3580 with me in it and I weight 180lbs. Have you had a chance to weight your car yet Laura?

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm going to rock the boat and say you should be running very low 12's. Using your mph of 110 and an approximate race weight of 3600 lbs (should about right for you) I'm coming up with a 12.19 ET. Using your 111 trap speed would even net a lower ET of course. Sorry if I'm overlooking them but what are you 60' times?

For reference my car weighs 3580 with me in it and I weight 180lbs. Have you had a chance to weight your car yet Laura?
My 60' times are averaging between 1.70 to 1.75. I am stock suspension, minus my FRPP K springs. I have never weighed the car. I have everything in it, except for the spare tire....and I am 145lbs.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Your 60' times are fine and your trap speed of 110-111 indicates a 12.20's to 12.30's are attainable with your current set up. Run it to 6500-6700 rpm's, shift quickly/cleanly, and you'll run quicker ET's than you are currently.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back