i think my d-specs are going bad

foolio2k4

forum member
Reaction score
are they bottoming out? oil leaks?

konis look to be the popular choice. I personally would not pay full price for them. I usually end up getting whatever a good deal is. Hence, I have tein flex.

Pumpkinfish

Johnny Quarter Mile
Reaction score
I killed my Tokicos after a few track days. Car bounced around so bad my titties were sore! I have switched to the yellow Koni's and have loved them from day one. Koni's softest setting is equal to Tokico's half setting. I bought them from Sam Strano and he helped me with starting points for settings. He is a great guy to talk to. http://www.stranoparts.com/

Rangersfan

forum member
Reaction score
D-Specs have a lifetime warranty you know. If you have one that's bad, they can be replaced under warranty through whoever you bought them from.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Since you guys brought it up, I think I may be having an issue as well. About a week ago, during my tire flap, I pulled into a driveway and heard the loudest popping sound I had ever heard in my life. It was actually more like a loud THUNK, but whatever.

Now I hear this faint squeaking noise coming from the rear passenger side and I'm pretty sure it's the shock. I've read about the chirping noise, but wasn't sure if this was the same symptom or not.

Anyone think that I should just replace the shock? There is no oil leaking out or anything like that and the adjustability is still there as well. The popping noise occurred when I was 5.5 turns out from hard. If I firm it up, I won't hear anything.

Discuss.

Pumpkinfish

Johnny Quarter Mile
Reaction score
D-Specs have a lifetime warranty you know. If you have one that's bad, they can be replaced under warranty through whoever you bought them from.

You ever try to get a replacement. I have heard horror stories...

I didn't want any drama and just bought what I wanted in the first place. I was too impatient to wait for the Koni's.

Pony DNA

grease monkey
Reaction score
You ever try to get a replacement. I have heard horror stories...

I didn't want any drama and just bought what I wanted in the first place. I was too impatient to wait for the Koni's.

Hi Pumpkin,

If you heard horror stories it was due to the retailers poor customer service. The story you heard was probably from some nub who proudly boasted about buying his no-name bottom feeder shocks for the lowest price on the internet and then had a problem getting a warranty replacement upfront. That was caused by a buyer too cheap to pay for a quality product from a quality vendor. Do not try to paint all manufacturers and vendors with the same brush.

Just about any good retailer of good dampers will give you a replacement once they have them in their hands and will usually cross ship and refund when they verify the problem if you pay up front for whatever they ship you. It is just like I always say, "generally speaking you get what you pay for AND what you don't!"

Cheers!

Pumpkinfish

Johnny Quarter Mile
Reaction score
What I heard was specifically about Tokico. I never heard anything bad about Koni. Just food for thought...

Reaction score
Hi Pumpkin,

If you heard horror stories it was due to the retailers poor customer service. The story you heard was probably from some nub who proudly boasted about buying his no-name bottom feeder shocks for the lowest price on the internet and then had a problem getting a warranty replacement upfront. That was caused by a buyer too cheap to pay for a quality product from a quality vendor. Do not try to paint all manufacturers and vendors with the same brush.

Just about any good retailer of good dampers will give you a replacement once they have them in their hands and will usually cross ship and refund when they verify the problem if you pay up front for whatever they ship you. It is just like I always say, "generally speaking you get what you pay for AND what you don't!"

Cheers!

Actually, SoundguyDave is letting me borrow a D-spec for the rest of my race season because he blew up one of his and is in no hurry to get the warranty claim started because of this very issue you guys are discussing. Can't say if he was or he talked with that "nub."

Either way, SGDAVE is my hero... lol. :beerchug2:

Mylilpony

forum member
Reaction score
i agree with pumpkin (not only bc he sold me his GT500 brakes, which are awesome), but bc i have dealt with tokico in the past.... their stupidity made me give up on them. i will never buy another product from them.

_M_

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

i bought them from you guys, maybe i'll call you this week when i get a chance

_M_

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What are they doing?

they are doing the same thing my stockers did after a while once i had the car lowered via steeda springs...they seem to have no rebound...car is no where near as stable as previously when the d-specs were new.

_M_

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I killed my Tokicos after a few track days. Car bounced around so bad my titties were sore! I have switched to the yellow Koni's and have loved them from day one. Koni's softest setting is equal to Tokico's half setting. I bought them from Sam Strano and he helped me with starting points for settings. He is a great guy to talk to. http://www.stranoparts.com/

thanks John...lemme check them out

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
While I've never dealt with Koni's customer service personally, I've heard nothing but glowing reviews. That alone would be worth the extra hundred or two more they cost if you happen to have a problem.

Pony DNA

grease monkey
Reaction score
What I heard was specifically about Tokico. I never heard anything bad about Koni. Just food for thought...

Actually, SoundguyDave is letting me borrow a D-spec for the rest of my race season because he blew up one of his and is in no hurry to get the warranty claim started because of this very issue you guys are discussing. Can't say if he was or he talked with that "nub."

Either way, SGDAVE is my hero... lol. :beerchug2:

i agree with pumpkin (not only bc he sold me his GT500 brakes, which are awesome), but bc i have dealt with tokico in the past.... their stupidity made me give up on them. i will never buy another product from them.

I used to work for a national level Koni, Bilstein and Tokico distributor. If the person on the other side of the line would give us a credit card we would cross-ship a replacement part until we received the warranty item and inspected it. Most of the time there was nothing obviously wrong with the dampers and these were put on a shock dyno for confirmation and either returned to the manufacturer for credit or back to the customer. If there was an obvious problem with no obvious external damage and they provided proof of warranty a credit was issued. This normally only takes a few days so I do not see how you guys are having such a bad time with warranty claims. We used to collect the warranty dampers in big bins until we had enough to ship back to the various shock makers for credit. No big deal. If you are having a problem with your shock vendor you need to consider why you are buying parts from these guys.

One more thing, do not kid yourself Konis and Bilsteins fail too often in spectacular ways. Not as frequently as the lower priced brands but more than you might imagine.

HTH!

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back