If you Drag Race, PLEASE weld your axle tubes.

BlackBullitt1390

forum member
Reaction score
Invest in a 9" and be done? I would go 9" inch if I was about to be on my 3rd rear end.
Combine the money you spent from the beginning.
On my car it would be total over kill but I won't have to worry about it ever again so it may be worth it.

Same here. Cheap insurance to keep off the wall. $2500 seems like a worthwhile investment.

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Get them tubes welded:

kb1te9.jpg

This happened to me last Sunday. This was the second rear end I've had on the car. The first one was welded, but became badly bent after a broken axle incident. I rushed this one together and kept putting off getting the tubes welded. Well, now I need a whole new rear end. Again. FML. Anyway, this time I'm doing it right. Welded tubes, spool, 35 spline axles and C-clip eliminators. Go big or go home with another broken rear end.

Yikes. I'm glad you're okay!

Diabolical!

Zapp Rowsdower
Reaction score
Thanks Sharad. I considered going 9", but I'm only at a little over 500 rwhp with no plans for more. I've got a rear end from a 2011 GT500 with less than 1,000 miles on it. Getting the tubes welded and having strange 35 spine axles, spool and c-clip eliminators installed. Shouldn't ever have another problem.

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks Sharad. I considered going 9", but I'm only at a little over 500 rwhp with no plans for more. I've got a rear end from a 2011 GT500 with less than 1,000 miles on it. Getting the tubes welded and having strange 35 spine axles, spool and c-clip eliminators installed. Shouldn't ever have another problem.

That should do it!

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
After 4 sets of gears 1 Detroit Truetrac, 1 Autotech Wavetrac I gave up on the 8.8.

35 spline on the left and 31 spline on the right.

Last edited:

Falkinman

forum member
Reaction score
Who made your 9" setup and how much does it cost? What type of differential do you have in it? Is there a weight difference?

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Who made your 9" setup and how much does it cost? What type of differential do you have in it? Is there a weight difference?
What happened was that on my last 8.8" failure the Wavetrac differential failed.
It was not the gears that failed but their axle retention system consisted of U shaped clips that relied on tension to keep them in place.
When the retainers failed they got into the diff and ring and pinion destroying everything.
To add insult to injury the way it failed didn't allow me to remove the axles which had to be cut out of the housing destroying both the housing and axles too.

If I was building another 8.8" I would have gone back to the Truetrac.

After speaking to Moser who is the distributor of Wavetrac they agreed to replace my 8.8 Wavetrac with a 9" Wavetrac.
94Tbird used the 9" Wavetrac in his 05 without any issues since the 9" is retained by the axle ends.
The Wavetrac also has a lifetime warranty.

Getting back to your question I used a Currie housing, brake brackets, and axles.
I ordered the center section from Moser since the differential was being warrantied.

I bought the old banjo style housing

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/05-07mustang9in.aspx
05 AND UP MUSTANG F9 9" HOUSING CE-7015 $918.95
05 AND UP MUSTANG PERFORMANCE AXLE PACKAGE WITH ABS RELUCTOR WHEELS CE-7015A $572.95
'05 AND UP MUSTANG CALIPER BRACKETS FOR STOCK BRAKES CE-7015B-C $109.95
DRAIN PLUG - 1/2" PIPE THREAD CE-9027 $17.25
I welded in my own drain plug since I bought my housing from JDM who had it in stock.

http://www.moserengineering.com/aitdownloadablefiles/download/aitfile/aitfile_id/185/
Moser Engineering 9" 3MNW35AN350 +3L Motul Gear 300 oil 75W90 synthetic $1,979 - $1,000 credit.

Some members here have had issues with Moser 9" housings accepting some aftermarket parts which is why I would never use their housings.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=208739&postcount=6

I used my old Powerhouse 4" aluminum driveshaft and had the tube replaced.
The new driveshaft tube is exactly 3" longer and used a conversion U Joint 1330-1350.

I don't know if the new rear end is heavier or lighter but I don't think that there is much of a difference.

Last edited:

Falkinman

forum member
Reaction score
That's a serious chunk of change. But I doubt you will ever have the same trouble with it that you had with the 8.8".

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That's a serious chunk of change. But I doubt you will ever have the same trouble with it that you had with the 8.8".
It would have cost less to do this from the start instead of doing it after 4 other rear end repairs.

Diabolical!

Zapp Rowsdower
Reaction score
Get them tubes welded:

kb1te9.jpg

This happened to me last Sunday. This was the second rear end I've had on the car. The first one was welded, but became badly bent after a broken axle incident. I rushed this one together and kept putting off getting the tubes welded. Well, now I need a whole new rear end. Again. FML. Anyway, this time I'm doing it right. Welded tubes, spool, 35 spline axles and C-clip eliminators. Go big or go home with another broken rear end.

I just finished disassembling the rear assembly that failed in this picture. Everything on the inside was perfect. The ring, pinion, carrier and axles all looked good as new. Just goes to show, welded axle tubes would have saved me a ton of headache. Another issue I never addressed here is the fate of my first rear assembly (not the one pictured, the one I had before it). I had the tubes welded to the center housing while on the car. Big no no. I should have had it done in a jig (which it will be this time). The tubes were not straight which ultimately led to an axle failure. I'm making stupid and expensive mistakes so that hopefully you don't have to.

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just finished disassembling the rear assembly that failed in this picture. Everything on the inside was perfect. The ring, pinion, carrier and axles all looked good as new. Just goes to show, welded axle tubes would have saved me a ton of headache. Another issue I never addressed here is the fate of my first rear assembly (not the one pictured, the one I had before it). I had the tubes welded to the center housing while on the car. Big no no. I should have had it done in a jig (which it will be this time). The tubes were not straight which ultimately led to an axle failure. I'm making stupid and expensive mistakes so that hopefully you don't have to.

Here are a couple pictures of the "Jig" and "Pucks" used by LE Chassis Engineering when they shortened and welded my tubes.

forum member
Reaction score
... Just goes to show, welded axle tubes would have saved me a ton of headache. ...

On this most recent incident (not the first housing failure) did the tubes bend, twist in the housing, or both?
Thanks.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
^ To touch on that above about the toe/camber - it is a VERY good idea to check the toe and camber before and after welding the tubes.

I am actually dealing with a customer right now, as I type this, that had his tubes welded quite a while ago. He just now had the car aligned, and sent me the sheet. His total toe out back is .44.

luillo

forum member
Reaction score
^ To touch on that above about the toe/camber - it is a VERY good idea to check the toe and camber before and after welding the tubes.

I am actually dealing with a customer right now, as I type this, that had his tubes welded quite a while ago. He just now had the car aligned, and sent me the sheet. His total toe out back is .44.

It never cross my mind to check alignment. I got my 9" ends welded bad in the driver side and is making my brakes drag. Another speed shop is thinking the housing might be cut short and the axles are now too long bottoming out in the differential making the brakes drag.

Diabolical!

Zapp Rowsdower
Reaction score
Did you ever have rear toe and rear camber measured after the on car axle welding? I'm guessing probably no measurements were taken before.

Norm

No measurements were taken before, but it was definitely off after. I had a friend with an alignment shop do the best he could to get it right, but it was ultimately a lost cause. Live and learn.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I suggest that somebody take a really close look at weld penetration along what appears to be the back side of the axle tube. I hope what I think I'm seeing is only a photographic artifact of some sort.

Norm

Diabolical!

Zapp Rowsdower
Reaction score
Effect from the flash. Picture was taken in pitch black darkness. Penetration is solid.

Back