Installed the MMD Matte Black tail light trim today

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Purchased from American Muscle; debated on whether or not to get the color matched trim piece or the matte black to match the stripes, tint and lower valence...decided on the black and very happy with the results.

Installation was very straightforward, only "complaint" was the backing on the 3M tape was hard to get off so I used a razor blade.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/black-taillight-trim-1012.html

Pics:

Last edited:

hastethedav

forum member
Reaction score
They came out with them for the 13's now.

Might have to give them a try soon, are they made well? or flimsy?

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Pretty well made and thin 3M tape where it meets the light....I will have to see how the tape holds up over time but initial impression was good.

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
Looks sweet! I want a set to replace my thin chrome ones.

JDM74

forum member
Reaction score
I have had them on my car for a while now and they are holding up well. I can't say the same for what is essentially the same thing on my wife's '07. Some small hairline cracks have formed on hers at the corners. The bad thing is the cracks expose a fine white line where the plastic is not black underneath. The '10 and up ones seem to be pretty good though.

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
I bought them some time ago. During the day they look good....but at night when the lights are on - eh.

They leave a read halo around the outside of the trim that I'm not a fan of. I'm contemplating plastidipping around the outside to kill the halo. Outside of this they're cool....but its something that bugs me, makes them look a bit cheap IMO.

Big Stig

forum member
Reaction score
Lookin' good. I love mine. :thumb2: I have been debating on gettting the MMD matte black rear quarter window louvers.

Big Stig

forum member
Reaction score
I bought them some time ago. During the day they look good....but at night when the lights are on - eh.

They leave a read halo around the outside of the trim that I'm not a fan of. I'm contemplating plastidipping around the outside to kill the halo. Outside of this they're cool....but its something that bugs me, makes them look a bit cheap IMO.

I have noticed that too. Since I am in the car and not looking at it most of the time, it doesn't bother me enough to do anything about it. I hear someone addressed that once by filling in extra 3M tapes between the gaps when they installed them. The guy who put them on for me used promotor, so I think they are on for good.

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
I have noticed that too. Since I am in the car and not looking at it most of the time, it doesn't bother me enough to do anything about it. I hear someone addressed that once by filling in extra 3M tapes between the gaps when they installed them. The guy who put them on for me used promotor, so I think they are on for good.

Oh, if I take these things off I'll end up pulling the lens tint off as well....so they're on until I completely replace the housing as a whole.

Hind sight, for the money....I just should have saved it for new tail light housings.
But thats just me.

KonaBlue11

forum member
Reaction score
These are a definite improvement over stock. The contrast between the white and smoked section is a bit strong, but overall it looks better than the stock bright cherry red.

Has anyone heard of a aftermarket manufacturer making replacement brakelights similar to the 2013 black centered ones, for the 2011-12 models?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back