interest in CF ducting brake shield?

foolio2k4

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm looking to gauge interest in a 100% carbon fiber ducted brake dust shield. I have a company called carbonwerks and looking into making carbon parts for our cars. One item on my agenda being a CF ducted brake shield. What are your thoughts?

Ducting would be 3" and be based off the stock GT brake duct shield.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
I can only speak as a "hard core" user, but the savings in weight between a carbon fiber and aluminum piece would only be a small amount. Unsprung, given, but... I wouldn't base it off the OE piece, but would concentrate on a fitment that will deliver MAXIMUM airflow to both the stock and the GT500 rotor setups. Don't bother shielding the entire rotor face, focus on getting airflow into the hub region, possibly with an optional second duct inlet that would be aimed directly at the caliper.

Carbon is cool, but it has to be cost effective for the grassroots crowd, who would have to dump almost $400 into a set of brake pads.

Do you have a target price point?

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
Sounds like a neat product, but at the price you're going to have to charge, you're not likely to sell a lot. Perhaps it could be a "flagship" product to show off your capabilities to help sell other parts, who knows.

OT: is this/are you the same Carbonwerks that used to make DSM parts a while back?

Kankakee

I dunno.
Reaction score
Sounds like a neat product, but at the price you're going to have to charge, you're not likely to sell a lot. Perhaps it could be a "flagship" product to show off your capabilities to help sell other parts, who knows.

OT: is this/are you the same Carbonwerks that used to make DSM parts a while back?

I was going to ask the same question. Do you have the name copyrighted foolio? If not better check on that.

foolio2k4

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah i think i can make it competitively priced. Somewhere around 150-200 would be a good price range right?

no, not the same Carbonwerks that used to make DSM parts

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
If you can do the ducts in the $150-200 range, then yes, I think you can get some sales... I also agree that a front splitter would be a good piece as well!

foolio2k4

forum member
Reaction score
Splitters can be had through APR. So I dont want to bother with that.

My first production item will be a 100% carbon trunk retaining all oem capabilities. light, mechanism, fitment, etc.
Then ill look into the brake ducts.

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score

My first production item will be a 100% carbon trunk retaining all oem capabilities. light, mechanism, fitment, etc.

Seibon makes a few different carbon trunks for the S197, so that wouldn't be a unique product either..

jroc07gt

its orange not yellow!!
Reaction score
but mine is made from 100% carbon. No cheap wetoverlay. Also priced cheaper than their version of dry carbon trunk.

from searching on the internet it seems you had a websire but now you dont. whats up with that?

fiverivers

forum member
Reaction score
It would be nice to have a brake duct kit for the Roush front fascia, as at this time there is not a brake duct kit for that style of fascia. I would seem that style of fascia might be the second most produced fascia after the stock s197. I think there are more roush (stage 3, p51, trackpaks, blackjacks) cars then gt500.

Philostang

Chrome Hater
Reaction score

If someone has the APR unit, perhaps they can correct me, but from what I gather theirs has room for improvement. While I think it's the nicest unit in production, it still doesn't extend terribly far under the car, ending around even with the radiator support.

If you could make one that extends at least to the front of the K-member, or better, even with the rear control arm bushings, you'd have a serious contender to their product. (read: I'd buy it rather than fabricate my own.)

Just a thought.
Best,
-j

lonebear

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm looking to gauge interest in a 100% carbon fiber ducted brake dust shield. I have a company called carbonwerks and looking into making carbon parts for our cars. One item on my agenda being a CF ducted brake shield. What are your thoughts?

Ducting would be 3" and be based off the stock GT brake duct shield.

:yes1: I'm interested.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
I'm with Philostang... IF the splitter extended to the front of the K-member underneath, that would be awesome... Just as an FYI, a number of club race level rule sets prevent aero components (like the splitter) from extending past the "centerline of the front axle," which is generally interpreted as the line extending between the center of the ball joints. If you made a splitter that went that far, and no further, I think you would have a serious contender. If it ALSO happened to incorporate that gucci Grand-Am brake duct inlet (link here), I think it would be beyond awesome, and WOULD be a unique product...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back