is my pypes x any better than stock h ! LOOK PLEASE!

Reaction score
i put on a pypes o/r x pipe today and paired with my cervini side exit exhaust , its fucking terrible to say the least. not only is it horribly raspy but i have no back pressure and my car runs like shit . i drove 3 miles home and its going back to the shop tomorrow to put my cats back on, my question is this . would i do myself any justice by cutting out the factory h pipe keeping the cats , and having the x put in its place , b/c i do see that they offer this as an option, any help is appreciated . if this were rear exit im sure it would be better but ive got too much in the side exit exhaust to get rid of it.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Its side exhuast, what did you expect? No cats with x or h is gonna be loud as shit.

Chris06GT

Dragging LS Ass..
Reaction score
And on top of that, unless you corrected the tune for no cats, it's gonna feel like it has no back pressure...

mynameismike65

forum member
Reaction score
And on top of that, unless you corrected the tune for no cats, it's gonna feel like it has no back pressure...

Tune doesnt really have anything to do with the loss of low end tq when going o/r. I agree its a give/take. It sucks loosing it, but the sound is 10x better.

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
i put on a pypes o/r x pipe today and paired with my cervini side exit exhaust , its fucking terrible to say the least. not only is it horribly raspy but i have no back pressure and my car runs like shit . i drove 3 miles home and its going back to the shop tomorrow to put my cats back on, my question is this . would i do myself any justice by cutting out the factory h pipe keeping the cats , and having the x put in its place , b/c i do see that they offer this as an option, any help is appreciated . if this were rear exit im sure it would be better but ive got too much in the side exit exhaust to get rid of it.

so you removed the cats, the mufflers i assume, and shortened the length of the exhaust and you were surprised by the out come. :crazy::roflmao:

put the stock cats back on.

i left my stock cats on and went with a cat back from pypes. my old tbird i thought i was cool shit back in high school when i basically ran open headers and was so loud it was pointless to have a radio in it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
i didnt shorten anything the mufflers are still there, i swapped in an offroad x, and thats it. the cervini side exhaust actully has more tubing feet than standard over the axel exhaust, and yes i wanted louder but this just sounds like ass in a can, i assumed that being as i already have it on there, and if it could balance my exhaust pressure better ,maybe i would be able to hear my cams a little better , fuck it i guess its only money

Last edited:

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What kind of mufflers do you have? I had an X pipe with high flow cats with dynomax bullets out the side on my 99 GT and it sounded incredible..

0-60n4.6

forum member
Reaction score
man i love the sound of a the X over the H..i may have a custom X made for my car...and as far as you loosing low end trq i dont think your going to lose that by just taking off the muffler if anything my car felt stronger after the o/r X but after i put on the LT headers thats when i noticed alot of low end trq lost

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score

I'm with Chris on this. It's gotta be the tune.

I have O/R H and LT's and I don't have no loss of TQ whatsoever. Hauls azz straight off the gas!!

Chris06GT

Dragging LS Ass..
Reaction score
Apparently they don't get the fact that you open up more air flow out of the engine, so you have to adjust the tune to compensate for that.....genius' I tell ya...

05yellowgt

Reaction score
Get that thing retuned before you go ripping the exhaust back apart. Should take care of all your driveability problems. Have you checked for exhaust leaks? They will cause your car to run like ass as well.

Vashthe3rd

Maximum Trolling
Reaction score
There is little to no difference to be had by any street driven car between an H and an X pipe.
You can also probably return/sell that X pipe and get a catted one and just save on money instead of hacking stuff up. Plus that way if you end up doing that you can sell your H-pipe I believe. A few V6 dual exhaust set ups use that mid-pipe I think.

Yes the reason it drives awful is the tune, especially when you're going from cats on a cammed F/I car to no cats. Big change in air flow.
And either way, O/R on that setup will be total hell on the ears.

Reaction score
ok i said hell with it and had the exhaust shop cut the HPipe out and put the xpipe in its place with factory cats, and it sounds amazing , smoothed flow completely and there is not so much air noise / pulses, its 100* better than before . so if anyone wonders if there is a difference between factory h and x yes in my case with the cervini system

HOLYWD

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Vashthe3rd said:
There is little to no difference to be had by any street driven car between an H and an X pipe.
You can also probably return/sell that X pipe and get a catted one and just save on money instead of hacking stuff up. Plus that way if you end up doing that you can sell your H-pipe I believe. A few V6 dual exhaust set ups use that mid-pipe I think.

Yes the reason it drives awful is the tune, especially when you're going from cats on a cammed F/I car to no cats. Big change in air flow.
And either way, O/R on that setup will be total hell on the ears.

Holy crap look who it is.

mynameismike65

forum member
Reaction score
There was no difference in low end tq when I had the o/r pc and stock tune vs a tune to "compensate" for the o/r pipes.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back