Is this price fair?

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
I've been looking at getting my 2013 coated since I always cringe at dirtying up the black paint and then damaging the paint when I clean it. I got in touch with a local detailer who was telling me about a new product by GTECHNIQ, the new crystal serum.

I'm looking at having it single stage corrected, full detail on the paint and then finishing it up with this new "ground-breaking" crystal serum, so he says. I don't know shit about these products.

I simply want a sealed paint that is resistant to scratches, keeps a beautiful touch and I don't have to apply shit to it besides a cloth to wash it. I have 1900 miles on the car and it is always garaged.

He has quoted me $900 to do this.

Is this fair? Is he quoting me shit that is re-dic-olous?

Thanks for any heads up and/or suggestions.

28ONE

Reaction score
Seems kinda high to me for an over the counter coating. Before I coated mine with CQuartz UK, I checked for shits n giggles what it would cost for CQ Finest- only the pros can install Finest - $700. Are you near Dulles, VA by chance?

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Yes I'm right down the street in Leesburg.

He was telling me that the Crystal Serum is a professional only product and can only be applied by an official Gtechnique accredited detailer.

here is one of the ads I found

Crystal-Serum-RollUp.jpg

Last edited:

28ONE

Reaction score
What's the name of the detailer? Dream Detail by chance - Travis Kent?

28ONE

Reaction score
No it's Immortal Detailing, guy named Kenny.

Is dream detail good?

Travis is awesome! He's the US distibutor for Polish Angel products which I've started to use - mainly waxes but I have the Cosmic Coating that will probably go on the new ride.

Well it looks legit but I haven't heard much about it on the detailing forums. Personally, if it was me, I'd go with CQ Finest...UK has amazing gloss already but Finest is a couple notches higher. Only real maintenance required is to use CarPro Reset soap and semi-annually use SnowX Soap to help with decon (instead of claying). It can become information overload real quick with all the different type of coatings. Keep in mind I'm a hobbyist but I suggest you shoot a PM to gothamite302 - he's a Pro Detailer - definitely a resource whose brain I would pick...

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Yeah reading your post throws me in a loop since I don't know what to buy for it.

I just want to set it, wash it and leave it Lol

28ONE

Reaction score
Yeah reading your post throws me in a loop since I don't know what to buy for it.

I just want to set it, wash it and leave it Lol

Sorry bro - basically once the car is coated, you put 2oz of CarPro Reset soap in a bucket and wash - dry - your done. No need for anything else...SnowX Soap is extra decontamination step that can be done once or twice a year instead of the tradition clay bar.

Here's some of Travis' work
http://www.polishangel.us/blogs/news

00blkvert

forum member
Reaction score
900 seems very high. The basic OTC products like gtechniq c1 or exov2 ate about 60 bucks. Most people usually charge a few hundred for a 1 step correction. So I honestly wouldn't go over 500-600.

You can get gtechniq c1, exov2, CQUARTZ UK, opti coat and a few others your self OTC ir you want to do It your self.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
I really don't want to do this stuff myself. Sounds like I'm lazy, I just don't have time do to this and would prefer to drop it off at a detail company to get it done. Hm

28ONE

Reaction score
I'd definitely give Travis @ Dream Detail a call since he's local to you - he's actually in Aldie...he has a color matched coating which is pretty sick!

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
opti and cquartz finest are the ones my detail guy keeps telling me to get.

Those or americoat, simply because he thinks putting pictures of my car on his website with the americoat name would be fitting.

00blkvert

forum member
Reaction score
I understand it does require a lot of prep. The thing with the "PRO" is alot of them offer a warranty and the companies have them charge a specified amount or so I have been told. Like 28ONE said then try dream detail.

HitandRunDriver

Amateur Goon
Reaction score
If the guy offers a warranty on his work it wouldn't be quite as bad but I'm sure you could find somebody to do a comparable job for $100-$200 cheaper...$900 is a lot of scratch to throw down up front but if the coating lasts for a couple years you can at least justify it more that way.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
No way could I justify $900 for a wax job. Regardless of what kind of fancy terms they use to justify their rates, it's still just a wax job.

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
No way could I justify $900 for a wax job. Regardless of what kind of fancy terms they use to justify their rates, it's still just a wax job.

900 is high but it's not a wax job lol. Wax is gone like in no time. Stuff like this is totally different.

Back