Is this the right clutch Slave?

waketek516

Pedal to the Metal!
Reaction score
So my clutch started slipping a bit this month, and with the holidays/supercharger coming up, I'm trying to replace what I need at the best prices I can find.

I've found a Spec Aluminum flywheel for $200, and a spec II clutch for just over $300... Now I've been looking all over for the cheapest price on the slave, and I've found the dorman unit on ebay for $50 less than Tousley/Rockauto...

Is this the right part number?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DORMAN-CS65...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item27bff43528

Thanks, Guys!

waketek516

Pedal to the Metal!
Reaction score
Okay cool. Just wanted to verify before I drop $100 on a part!

If anyone can find one cheaper let me know!

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Tom - you bot the clutch already?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My .02 - from all that I read the spec 2 and the 2+ in particular are not a great choice for the S197s. The 3+ is a much better choice

waketek516

Pedal to the Metal!
Reaction score
My .02 - from all that I read the spec 2 and the 2+ in particular are not a great choice for the S197s. The 3+ is a much better choice

My tuner said the Spec II would be good. I like the Spec III, but this car is still my DD, and I've heard that clutch is stiff as hell.

Thoughts?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well the 2 is a puck style as I recall. So that would be a bit on off as I understand it.

The 3+ was a bit firm for me, others report that it was stock like.

joedls

Dragracer wannabe
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I run a Spec 3+ and if it's stiffer than stock, I don't notice it. It's a little grabbier than stock, but you get used to it.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Before it breaks in the 3+ is very on-off. But after the break in it's good.

+1

Joe I guess maybe I got unlucky with the pedal feel (or maybe it was the install) as yours seems to be the more common experience.

waketek516

Pedal to the Metal!
Reaction score
Okay - Greg at RET installed my SPEC 3+ on Tuesday, and I'm 70miles into my break-in. So far its pretty grabby, and very on/off, but I'm hoping it settles down after the 500mi break in. Its nothing crazy that makes it undriveable, but you DEFINITELY have to get used to it. I looked like a noob driving the first day - haha. I kept stalling it. LOL.

I've been in all stop and go driving so far, which is supposedly better for break in. I'll report back in 430miles...:clap:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It will get better, mine was better by 200 and broken in by 400.

nv4gt ws

RedShift
Reaction score
So my clutch started slipping a bit this month, and with the holidays/supercharger coming up, I'm trying to replace what I need at the best prices I can find.

I've found a Spec Aluminum flywheel for $200, and a spec II clutch for just over $300... Now I've been looking all over for the cheapest price on the slave, and I've found the dorman unit on ebay for $50 less than Tousley/Rockauto...

Is this the right part number?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DORMAN-CS65...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item27bff43528

Thanks, Guys!
How many runs and miles did you get from stock clutch? Also did you ever burn it by mistake?

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
How many runs and miles did you get from stock clutch? Also did you ever burn it by mistake?

After installing the E-force, my stock clutch held up 2 years and ~4K miles. But on my second run at the track with DR's this fall, it smoked/slipped pretty bad. I picked up an Exedy Mach 500 that will be installed before spring.

waketek516

Pedal to the Metal!
Reaction score

Mine went 60,000 miles, and probably 20 or so passes and some big burnouts on the street for fun. I don't think I ever burned it too bad by mistake though.

Back