Jack stands under an S197

Synyster06Gates

forum member
Reaction score
Going to be working in limited space this weekend due to rain - so I was wondering where the best place to put a jack stand would be. I will be doing axlebacks, so the back end of the car needs to come up - whether it's one side at a time or the whole thing.

I'm using a 2.5 ton floor jack with a flat pad and have a pinch weld tool so I can jack it up in the factory spots with no issue. I'm hesitant on jacking up from the pumpkin because I would be the unlucky one that ends up damaging something.

Looking at this photo, they recommend a jack stand on the rail with the red dot on it. The front wheels of my jack make this impossible. Can I place the stand on the rail closest to the rocker panel or will it collapse under the pressure?

Can I place a jack stand under one side of the axle at a time or will that damage the tube?

Jack069.jpg

JUSTA3V

Moar Throttle!
Reaction score
I go 2 inches back from that red dot where the metal is doubled up. Right in front of the LCA connection point.

I never put stands on my pinch welds ( what you are pointing at)

I have supported the car on the axle tubes as well before without issue.

Synyster06Gates

forum member
Reaction score
I tried a few minutes ago and didn't have enough room to get the stand under the area you're talking about with my jack holding the car up. Also - I know I can support the rear axle with two jack stands no problem - but if I am only able to get one side up at a time, I would be hesitant to put pressure on only that one side.
I am jacking from the pinch weld with one of these

71DGTPNvmrL._SL1497_.jpg

JUSTA3V

Moar Throttle!
Reaction score
Jack it up on the pumpkin? Or do you not have a floor jack? Are you using the stock scissor jack?

Synyster06Gates

forum member
Reaction score
Using a floor jack - but I've heard bad things about using teh pumpkin.

I could go pick up a rubber hockey puck and do it that way though, it would just about ensure I don't fuck it up

JUSTA3V

Moar Throttle!
Reaction score
I have always jacked up my car on my pumpkin. Since day one. Just have to make sure it's centered and not on the cover.

Phil1098

Reaction score
Why not just back it up onto some ramps? If you don't have them I would get some if for no other reason than oil changes.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I have always jacked up my car on my pumpkin. Since day one. Just have to make sure it's centered and not on the cover.

This. Use a short chunk of 2x4 as a jacking block if your jack pad is going to hit your pumpkin cover. Sounds like you are way overthinking this entire procedure.

Synyster06Gates

forum member
Reaction score
This. Use a short chunk of 2x4 as a jacking block if your jack pad is going to hit your pumpkin cover. Sounds like you are way overthinking this entire procedure.

Probably - but I don't want to fuck anything up and I don't want to get crushed

5tangiac.0

forum member
Reaction score
Not to high jack the thread but do you know of any decently priced ramps that I won't have clearance issues with in the front?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Not to high jack the thread but do you know of any decently priced ramps that I won't have clearance issues with in the front?

If your lowered and have a front spoiler or splitter them I think the only options are to make some out of some 2x10 or 2x12s or "race ramps" which are pricey imo. I made some 2x12 ramps 2 boards high and place them in front of my auto zone ramps to get the front end up a little. Works perfect and I use these same to get my jack under the car.

Sent from iPhone

5tangiac.0

forum member
Reaction score
Good info. Yeah the race ramps look awesome but they are pricey. Anyone try the harbor freight ramps?

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I use rhino ramps, they are around 50 bucks. Im lowered on 2013 cj springs.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Does a supercharger really drop the front end that much? I have 27" tires up front, barely shorter than stock, and my car won't go up rhino ramps without rubbing. I can't even get a floor jack under there any more. The car doesn't look much lower to the eye so it's always kind of puzzled me.

Not much of a problem now that I have the race ramps though.

And yeah just lift the rear end by the differential.

Phil1098

Reaction score
Here is what I did to my Rhino ramps, made a huge difference.

Attachments

• ramps 003.jpg
    ramps 003.jpg
    429.1 KB · Views: 19
  • ramps 004.jpg
    ramps 004.jpg
    426.5 KB · Views: 17

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back