KB bypass ?

UNICORN

forum member
Reaction score
hi guys,

the intake temp is reaching 180F that's how we now that something wrong with the bypass
so I checked it ,it is not moving the butterfly open it's stuck on open (valve locked"valet mode" as the KB instruction says) always even when the car is off which is not make sense and it's not moving when I rev the car (I didn't know if the car having boost or not cuz it's still tune) so how can I fix it ? the instruction show how to adjust it to a valet mode mine is always valet the inverse procedure should work so I unscrew the 2mm set to "canceling the valet mode" but I don't think it's work ,is it damage or it just need to adjust ? but how?

here some pics after pulling out the SC as what KB told me to do :

it should be closed but instead you can see it's still open

here you can see me trying to close it

and here after unscrew it , you can see it's not 100% closed and it will never open too

Last edited:

zipperhead

Reaction score
I just looked at mine and it doesn't have that spring like yours and my actuator is fully extended when the engine is off.

The valet screw should be fully seated for normal use

Wicked One

forum member
Reaction score
Same here. No spring. And that bypass is the low vacuum bypass. It is not the regular bypass.

sent from my Damn phone

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
We've been PM'ing a little about this issue. As the above have posted, my bypass does not have the spring either. I thought it might be the other bypass, where the spring normally keeps the butterfly open instead of vacuum only.

FWIW, IAT's would not be affected by an open BPV. Only the ability to build boost.

One other thing I just thought of. In my install instructions, there was a supplement to add some kind of inline metering valve in the vacuum line to reduce vacuum or something. If you added that, you probably need to remove it, or ask KB about it.

Still though, this is indeed the different BPV than what some of us are using. Mine has the spring inside the vacuum plunger and opens under vacuum and closes w/o vacuum. But with low vacuum, that wouldn't work well, such as with agressive cams. (I run moderate cams and dont have issues with the normal vacuum control).

Wicked One

forum member
Reaction score
That is the same bypass I had on my 95 kenne bell with big cams. It is more sensitive to vacuum. I am guessing to try and take the spring off and see if that helps.

Best of luck.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
I think he tried that. However, with no spring action at all (if there is none in the vacuum module), the valve may tend to stay open or closed. There needs to be a spring, of some kind to hold it normally open or normally closed.

UNICORN

forum member
Reaction score
We've been PM'ing a little about this issue. As the above have posted, my bypass does not have the spring either. I thought it might be the other bypass, where the spring normally keeps the butterfly open instead of vacuum only.

FWIW, IAT's would not be affected by an open BPV. Only the ability to build boost.

One other thing I just thought of. In my install instructions, there was a supplement to add some kind of inline metering valve in the vacuum line to reduce vacuum or something. If you added that, you probably need to remove it, or ask KB about it.

Still though, this is indeed the different BPV than what some of us are using. Mine has the spring inside the vacuum plunger and opens under vacuum and closes w/o vacuum. But with low vacuum, that wouldn't work well, such as with agressive cams. (I run moderate cams and dont have issues with the normal vacuum control).

That is the same bypass I had on my 95 kenne bell with big cams. It is more sensitive to vacuum. I am guessing to try and take the spring off and see if that helps.

Best of luck.

I think he tried that. However, with no spring action at all (if there is none in the vacuum module), the valve may tend to stay open or closed. There needs to be a spring, of some kind to hold it normally open or normally closed.

I don't remember having "inline metering valve" I don't know what it is actually , the thing is I must blow very hard to keep that butterfly 100% close is that a problem and when I "suck it" it fully open , is that normal ?

even when I removed the spring when I blows it close , suck open the only different of course it remains open/close till the next move ,blow or suck

and who come if the bypass always open the intake temp reach 180F ? << I'm not saying why cuz I think I've an air pocket in the cooling system I knew that cuz the sound of the pump is not consent

Last edited:

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
KB should be able to look at your pics and get you square. What do they say about it, or is tech support a phone call away with them?

UNICORN

forum member
Reaction score
KB should be able to look at your pics and get you square. What do they say about it, or is tech support a phone call away with them?

they said it's normal for " external spring bypass" so I'll install everything again

UNICORN

forum member
Reaction score
yup the heat cuz it was an air pocket in the cooling system after fixing it the intake temp reach 138F and with KC system whiten 2 mins it reach 119F :) , I believe there are more reducing on the temp , but I didn't have the time to test it well

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back