KIMMER'S Airlift Install and Review

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Irishman and I had the pleasure of taking a ride with Jeremy and Brian of Airlift Performance last year before Woodward Dream Cruise and needless to say, I was sold on this suspension! It's not your standard airbag suspension just to go low or to carry extra weight, this stuff truly performs! I won't give details on my ride but i'm pretty sure the wife threw those boxers out...LOL I ended up getting my hands on their new Ford Mustang Performance Air Suspension kit #95723 with Digital Controller (which I highly recommend). Now I haven't got much time in the car since the install this past weekend because I still need to determine where I want my ride height while driving around and get a front-end alignment on it. I also noticed that I need to adjust the rear end a bit more toward the passenger side of the car. I took a few pics along the way of things that could help someone else install theirs or feel free to ask any questions. I didn't really take any pics of the front strut install due to the fact it's as straight forward as it can get, take em out, put the new ones in. The hardest part for me was determining where I wanted my stuff in the trunk and hiding wires/hoses and making it look like a clean install. I'm picky when it comes to the visual part of installs. I'll update this thread with more pro's and con's that I run into with the system for how I use the car. From what I can see so far, the only con is the noise of the compressor and the screams from the passengers! The compressor isn't horrible and doesn't come on very often, but when it does you know it's there. If you drop your car every time you park to show it off (me), it will probably kick on for a couple minutes every few times you raise the car back up. I have my tank pressures for the compressor to come on when ever the tank drops to 110 and turns off at 175. Like someone else stated, if you plan on changing levels a lot, look at upgrading the compressor to a 400 series or larger so it builds up the tank pressure quicker. There were no modifications that I had to do to the front for the struts and 2 holes on each side in the rear I had to drill where the upper coil spring perch is. Other than that, you drill 4 for the compressor, 4 for the tank ( I only used 2) and then 2 for the manifold/relay. Here are a review and few photos of what i've done.

Review:In Process-Overall ride quality compared to lowering springs- Huge difference! I swear I was going to have to get a kidney belt soon if I kept my old suspension, with the Airlift, it rides EXCELLENT! The more you play with the settings and shock adjustments, the more it feels like stock suspension ride, if not a little better.

Performance- HELL YEAH! It performs! My car feels like it really "sticks" to the ground now instead of feeling loose. Lets just say I took my curve a bit faster than I did before, but then worried about my tires letting loose, so I slowed my butt down..LOL

I haven't had a chance to hit the drag strip yet, but typically the best I could get with the stock and/or lowering was about a 2.08 60' and that was pretty consistent. This of course is with my Foose 20's and Toyo T1R's on back. Not exactly your drag tire of choice. Once I do hit the strip, i'll report right away!

Versatility- Amazing how much you can do with this system. Normal suspension only allows you to pretty much go for one thing. Airlift suspension gives the user the ability to cover a wide variety of situations. Drop it to the ground, raise it to stock level to go over speed bumps, cruise at a lowered height, program settings for multiple tracks, make adjustments quickly to adjust to the tracks, 30 levels of dampening on the shocks at a turn of a knob on each shock, and not to mention use the air tank to air your tires back up to head home from the strip!

The only negative that i've noticed is the fact you have to manually adjust the height depending on the amount of people inside, but as some of you know, they are working on a sensor setup to fix the only problem I see. Overall I think it is the best mod i've made on my car other than my whipple.

Photo's:

Picture of what you get in kit #95723

app_95723.jpg

We started with the front and pulled off both wheels/tires and removed the 4 nuts on the top of the strut, 1 bolt holding the brake line on the strut, 1 plastic pin holding the abs wire on the strut and then the 2 bolts holding the spindle assembly to the strut. It was quick and easy. Didn't feel like any pics were needed of this due to the fact it was so straight forward and instructions were very good from Airlift. Here is a pic of where I ran the braided line into my car. There is a rubber plug on each side of the vehicle on the firewall behind the wheel liner. I pushed it inside the car on each side creating a nice tight seal around the hose. From there I plugged in the plastic 1/4" air line and ran it under the carpet on each side of the car into the back trunk area.

20130726_221923_zps6537157b.jpg

Next we moved to the back of the car. Supporting the rear axle with a jack and the having the car on the lift, we removed the rear shocks and disconnected the rear swaybar upper mounts to allow the rear end to drop down and remove the rear coil springs and coil pads. We installed the hardware included in the instructions and drilled the 2 holes required on each side.

20130726_205647_zpsd71c9634.jpg

Airbags mounted

20130726_212650_zps720c9d04.jpg

Rear shock and bumper cut down.

20130726_212638_zps0a1e693f.jpg

After that we bolted everything back together and put the wheels/tires back on.

I had installed the tank, compressor, manifold, wiring, etc earlier that week while I didn't have access to a lift.

Gutted the trunk and laid the seats down to get access to everything.

20130721_181346_zpsf84da4c4.jpg

Next I decided where I wanted the tank and drilled the holes. After that, I mounted my manifold above on the sub frame and mounted the compressor behind the tank.

20130722_191913_zpsb007ea3d.jpg

Here is the tank and compressor mounted.

20130722_203138_zps3daab2a2.jpg

Next I wired up the manifold and relay and hid everything mostly in the subframe. Any wires coming down (like the compressor wires), I put nylon harness on and shrink tubed the ends to give it a finished look.

20130728_173709_zpsef2aeb55.jpg

Once the wiring was done and plastic air lines were ran thru the sub frame also, I laid the carpet back down (which was a PITA around the stuff) and bolted in the stock subs.

20130728_180836_zpsa4a80219.jpg

BEFORE:
My mustang lowered on Ford KR springs. 3/4" drop front and 1" rear drop.

2011-05-03_12-57-15_141-1.jpg

AFTER:
My mustang lowered on Airlift Performance Suspension with the ability to adjust to almost any condition including stock height at a touch of a button!

20130727_163301_zps5bb4d5f0.jpg

20130727_163349_zps0bc0343f.jpg

Feel free to ask any questions! I will continue to update this thread as I get more road time!

Last edited:

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nice work Kimmer. Definately want feedback on the ride quality.

Irishman

Ricer
Reaction score
Looks great!!! Some day I will have a kit on my car. These kits are so impressive with ride quality and performance within a couple seconds and a push of a button. Bad ass man.

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Gonna drive it to work friday and try to get an alignment after work. Then drive the shit out of it next week..LOL

Ordered a GT500 spoiler tonight and some "Powered by Ford" badges to ditch those GT badges. Looks dumb as hell with GT sides and 500 front and GT spoiler. SLOWLY becoming the car I want. Someday i'll get a big boy motor, big brakes, and different wheels that look like the Alcoa Super Snakes and i'll be happy!

Hopefully a bit of a report coming this weekend on the ride quality and ease of use. I'm tired of going up and down parked in the garage...HAHA

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
I dont know.. if your next step are theses.. then we need to talk.. haha

800px_Dice_02138_300x225.jpg

interior1prep.jpg

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back