Koni Backorder

bigpappy33

11.17@126
Reaction score
Is anyone else waiting on Koni Street front shocks to ship from Koni Holland? I ordered mine from Sam Strano in December thinking that they would be shipped by January (which was the estimation at that time). Its now March and still nothing. :/

froman6

forum member
Reaction score
Welcome to the wait list group. You a part of the 285 of the rest of us that are waiting. They have been on back order since last May with no ETA on delivery. I really wish the vendors would stop taking orders. They say they can get them and all they have is my $700 tied up!!! I've talked to a few people at Koni and they can't figure out why Holland is flat on their asses. I'm very disappointed with Koni and the way they are handling this. Tokico's D-specs will be substituted at the end of April if I don't get mine.

bigpappy33

11.17@126
Reaction score
I just don't understand how a company could let this happen for this long. Is it only the S197 front struts that are having the issue?

froman6

forum member
Reaction score
As far as I know it's only Mustang. I'm an Engineer at Ford and have dealt
with suppliers and I can't for the life of me under stand how or why it could take so long to correct a simple weld issue. There has to be more to it......???

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
Just for the record..... it's Sport fronts that are on backorder. I have STR.T shocks (pronounced Street).

I encourage you guy to call and write Koni about it. Koni NA is as frustrated as we are, I promise you that. But letters can be kicked up the the chain @ Koni Holland and maybe even ITT the parent company.

What's taking so long? Don't know.

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
I've got a few sets of D-specs in stock... $589 shipped for the set. Good think I never said I hated them (I dont, but do prefer the Koni's). Anyone with a pending Koni order can switch over, but we will have to work out the return of rear shocks if you choose to change. I'm work on that with Koni now.

bigpappy33

11.17@126
Reaction score
Just for the record..... it's Sport fronts that are on backorder. I have STR.T shocks (pronounced Street).

I encourage you guy to call and write Koni about it. Koni NA is as frustrated as we are, I promise you that. But letters can be kicked up the the chain @ Koni Holland and maybe even ITT the parent company.

What's taking so long? Don't know.

Yes your right I ment Sports (Yellows). Hopefully this will get resolved soon.

Flash_of_Yellow

forum member
Reaction score
I'm on backorder too. Haven't taken my money yet though. I actually just posted up a poll about my current dilemma. Install all the rest of the goodies minus the Koni's and take it to the track, or leave it stock and wait it out.

http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30297

Would value some input. I want to put something together soon so I don't take a "new" car to the track. I need time to play a little to get used to it all.

Last edited:

Ignatowski

forum member
Reaction score
I heard from another vendor that the fronts are going through a redesign and could be a few more months before they're available.

obofglob

Reaction score
I heard from another vendor that the fronts are going through a redesign and could be a few more months before they're available.

Was there an issue with the original design of the koni sports ? I have them and love them but all the talk of a redesign has me worried.

Ignatowski

forum member
Reaction score
Was there an issue with the original design of the koni sports ? I have them and love them but all the talk of a redesign has me worried.

I asked the vendor if he knew what the redesign entailed but he had no idea. I THINK they maybe going away from a complete strut to a cartridge insert for the Mustang...

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Instead of replacing the entire strut assembly, you cut off the top of the strut housing, and drop in a cartridge, then screw in a new cap. Essentially the same thing, and should be CONSIDERABLY cheaper, given that you're not buying the whole strut (main tube, mounting ears for the spindle, swaybar tabs, ABS tab, etc.).

Flash_of_Yellow

forum member
Reaction score
Instead of replacing the entire strut assembly, you cut off the top of the strut housing, and drop in a cartridge, then screw in a new cap. Essentially the same thing, and should be CONSIDERABLY cheaper, given that you're not buying the whole strut (main tube, mounting ears for the spindle, swaybar tabs, ABS tab, etc.).

Hmmm, but Tirerack already charged me the high price for the original design... Maybe time to cancel and just go coil overs!

Reaction score
Hmmm, but Tirerack already charged me the high price for the original design... Maybe time to cancel and just go coil overs!

Owen%20Starsky%20&%20Hutch%20Signature%20Do%20It.jpg

LOL.

Hell, ground control uses Koni's. Best of both worlds. Although, I believe someone stated the valving in their yellows are not exactly as the off the shelf ones. But it's not something I would worry about.

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
Hell, ground control uses Koni's. Best of both worlds. Although, I believe someone stated the valving in their yellows are not exactly as the off the shelf ones. But it's not something I would worry about.

Yeah they use Koni inserts in their own (beefy!) housings. Supposedly GC does their own valving..but the big advantage with them is they're shorter than stock so you've got more more suspension travel before you bottom out. Just how much shorter I couldn't tell you though. And a lifetime warranty which I may get to try out soon, after 12,000 miles or so I'm starting to get some noise out of the front end (still trying to figure out what exactly is the culpret, I'm thinking strut mounts though).

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
They are not being redesigned... And I'd thank you to not put information that is not substantiated out in the public like that.

The Koni Sports work great, they have no issues. I've beaten on two sets for 2-3 years already. GC's setup isn't a Mustang Specific setup, they are using some insert meant for something else in a housing to fit the car. See if they'll tell you what it's for originally... bet they won't.

And shorter is a non-issue. As is you can bury the front tire in the wheelwell. More travel is one of those things that sounds great--until you realize that it's not actually necessary. I mean I run a lowered car, and have no issues with running out of travel type instances (like sudden skating or terrible over bumps).

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back