Learning to make fast go fast!

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Theory 4 is it possible that the front pulley support you had made was/is out of balance with the crank and the harmonics took out the oil pump and the rest is history. The cranks I have seen usually sheer around a main journal not crack across the rod journal.

When we balance my crank it is checked with everything from the flexplate to the madrell that bolts on front of the IW balancer that is checked as well. The oil pump looks fine looking in from the outside.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I know of two different stroker cranks that broke the exact same way yours did. Both were in a big HP heavy car and broke at the drag strip under load.

The only thing I can think of on the balancer is maybe the bolt was tight but the hub had galled and wasn't pulled all the way down and then loosened up under load?

Anyway it sucks. I admire your dedication to your car!!
Do you have any more info on those cars?

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score
Do you have any more info on those cars?

Both were same car. He is a member on here but hasn't been active for years Redfire is his screen name. PH 88mm turbo setup on e98. Full stock interior and all accessories so car was heavy...car was running 9.60's at the time and he was trying to step it up with more boost.

Just my 2¢ but I think you have reached the level that an offset ground stroker crank will take. Time to call Bryant and go billet or go back to standard stroke.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
After much thought, I think I am going to sell the car. Most likely there will be a huge part out sale soon with an option to buy it all first.

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
Hate to hear Billy! You have to do what you feel is best. Good luck brother!

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
:throw:

I can't say I can blame you. Your car is tied with Paul's for my favorite on here (......even though it's a 3v) and you have definitely been thru every possible negative scenario an owner can have. Christ I wanna sell mine and there's nothing wrong with it. If the shot that has happened to you happened to me I would of burned it to the ground. If you sell it, any plans for something milder? Does the son benefit from this part out? Lol. Good luck no matter what.

travelers

Reaction score
That's something I would not have expected but I do understand. Good luck in whatever direction you go.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I'm only posting about my car for now as the kids car is , how do I say, in limbo,...

I am looking at a part out for now or sale to get a new 15' and power adder TBD. It will depend on what can give me the best times with the stock motor.

For me, as my kid says, it is the end of an era! This car is everything I ever wanted and the new one will never see 5.78 1/8. It is a sad day for sure!

I never thought parting out a car would feel like this... I am truley sad to see it go.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Boo, that sucks. But you have to do what you have to do and you have been through a lot with that car. Still one of the best builds on here. You deffently built it and didn't buy it.

ILW84U

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you are letting it go but I fully understand. You have had way more patience with it than I would have. I wouldn't have lasted anywhere near this long. Looking forward to seeing what happens with your new 15.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
^^ Definitely sad to see, I very much enjoyed reading your build threads and keeping up with everything over the past couple years, I learned a lot from all the info and knowledge you shared, for that a BIG THANK YOU! Best of luck with whatever you end up with for a s550 new project!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back