LED headlights vs HID's

KonaBlueBryar

forum member
Reaction score
all i can say is i used the DDM tuning set and they crapped out in about 8 months. im about to buy a set from Diode Dynamics. They are outta St. Louis MO and all their products are made in house right here in the USA. i run HIDs in halogen housing because i like them and dont care lol. i dont like the looks of aftermarket projectors and retrofits are expensive and im broke lol.

but seriously for all your lighting needs go to Diode Dynamics

http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/...-ford-mustang-gt-fog-light-hid-conversion-kit

walker2t

forum member
Reaction score
Pentalab, I went back to factory set up on lights the hid's were junk after two kits purchased I gave up.. my car never sees night anyways.. Lol just to many bugs at night...
Still sitting on 34,000 miles...

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
I put in some led bulbs from LMR. I did my headlights and roush bumper lower fogs. It is twice as good as the stock setup with upgraded halagen bulbs. Cost was $179 or so for the two kits. I'm happy.

SNKPWR

forum member
Reaction score
all i can say is i used the DDM tuning set and they crapped out in about 8 months. im about to buy a set from Diode Dynamics. They are outta St. Louis MO and all their products are made in house right here in the USA. i run HIDs in halogen housing because i like them and dont care lol. i dont like the looks of aftermarket projectors and retrofits are expensive and im broke lol.

but seriously for all your lighting needs go to Diode Dynamics

http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/...-ford-mustang-gt-fog-light-hid-conversion-kit

DD is a great company run by great people, but it's not ALL made in the USA, although they do spec all their own designs and aren't just resellers of junk like most other lighting companies, their products truly are top notch.

And please for consideration of others get a proper HID setup, what if that person in the oncoming car you're blog wanders over into your lane because they can't see...

KonaBlueBryar

forum member
Reaction score
the HIDs i had were bright enought that i angled them downward and didnt blind oncoming traffic.. i tested it multiple times and did many different adjustments. it didnt bother you any more than a stock halogen in your eyes. ive never been blinded by a car. ususally trucks that are at eye level that blind people. i see it as a misconception.. dont be an idiot and just throw HIDs in your housings. adjust it.

As of DD, I really do love their products. and yes, I imagine that there are things that are made overseas there. I used to live 15 minutes away from their business. One of my buddies took a tour of the facility and said they had full 3D printing equipment to use for creating their own headlight housings and build all their boards in house.. thats pretty impressive to me!

Saleen4971

forum member
Reaction score
the HIDs i had were bright enought that i angled them downward and didnt blind oncoming traffic.. i tested it multiple times and did many different adjustments. it didnt bother you any more than a stock halogen in your eyes. ive never been blinded by a car. ususally trucks that are at eye level that blind people. i see it as a misconception.. dont be an idiot and just throw HIDs in your housings. adjust it.

Wrong.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
11896033_10100509081399432_6889945329711416491_n.jpg

411465468.jpg

Where did you get those? link?

I have seen several retro kits for our cars and I have not liked any of them so far because IMO the design of the front end necessitates large round headlamps. I like how those retain the large front lamps while not calling as much attention to the projectors as most of the setups I see.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
this video is horrible. they dont even mention what housing is being used until half way through - they SHOULD have started off by saying that it was in a projector, and show the results from a reflector.

even then, without locking the cameras exposure (both still and video) you cannot use them to compare light sources.

also seems that they had fog lights on during the video portion at least, which is even worse.

if you are trying to educate people, you should do it properly. they did not. hell, even facts and spelling were wrong.

They did indeed have foglamps on. Ok, were they using low beams..or hi beams for the halogen /hid /led video night time test ?? If it was low beams, then they should have repeated the same 3 tests..with high beams...and vice versa. If you are driving down some 2 lane road, in the middle of no where, and no one in front of you, and no one coming in the opposite direction, then most folks would put their high beams on. Any extraneous light in unwanted directions when in high beam mode is a moot point imo.

I never got flashed by anybody since my hids were installed 3 yrs ago..in oem halogen housings...but they were carefully aligned right after the install. I do a LOT of night time driving. I even drove my 2011 Fusion, while a buddy drove my 2010 stang, so I could see for myself if the hids were about to piss other folks off.

In some led kits, ( but not all), when on high beam, both upper + lower led are on. IE: you end up with both low + high beams simultaneously.

IMO, the jury is still out on leds, depending on whose kit you have, so I will just have to wait till they arrive next week. I have already gone through 2 complete hid kits + 2 extra bulbs the dealer tossed my way under warranty, and I'm not inclined to spend a dime more on anybody else's hid kit. The led kit was 'cheap'..and is plug + play..and they claim the leds are good for 35K hrs. As long as the leds outperform the oem halogens, I will be satisfied, even if they are lower performance than these failure prone hids I have been dealing with.

KonaBlueBryar

forum member
Reaction score
exactly^^ the guys that are against hids in stock housings only hate them because theyve probaly been blinded by some one who threw them in there and didnt adjust. are projector lenses better for focusing light? yes. are the nessacery to run HIDs in your car? no. will HIDs always blind others if you put them in stock housings? not at all. just adjust you headlights. 8/10 cars i see with HIDs that are in stock housings dont blind me. and yes the ones that do piss you off but thats the drivers error, not the lights. the driver could also drive past you with his high beam halogens on and you cant say that its the halogens fault for blinding you lol

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Buy oem hid's? That's your best option. Aftermarket HID's always go out.

I asked my local ford dealer how much the oem 2010 HID set up was, but they have not gotten back to me. The oem ford ballast are $382.00 EACH to replace and the oem ford bulbs are $392.00 EACH. Then toss in the oem hid housing on each side.... and I would not be surprised if it's $2500.00 for the entire mess. It's $1.30 cdn to buy a US dollar these days. Now if they came with a 10 year warranty, they still would not be worth it.

Bulbs http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-d3s-hid-bulb-1015.html
(read the fine print...good for only 2000 hrs ! )

Ballasts. http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-hid-ballast-1015.html?source=igodigital

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
exactly^^ the guys that are against hids in stock housings only hate them because theyve probaly been blinded by some one who threw them in there and didnt adjust. are projector lenses better for focusing light? yes. are the nessacery to run HIDs in your car? no. will HIDs always blind others if you put them in stock housings? not at all. just adjust you headlights. 8/10 cars i see with HIDs that are in stock housings dont blind me. and yes the ones that do piss you off but thats the drivers error, not the lights. the driver could also drive past you with his high beam halogens on and you cant say that its the halogens fault for blinding you lol

That's pretty true to an extent. I ran drop in HID bulbs in my stock reflectors for a couple years. Never blinded anyone, and had my wife drive verify it too. The key thing was the black cap in the reflector housings that blocks a lot of the glare.

The grille lights on the other hand blinded everybody no matter what the viewing angles and I even got pulled over. The cop let me off with a warning, but said it was blinding as hell and there would be a ticket if he saw those lights on again.

I went back to halogen and yeah the low beams were dimmer but I actually had usable high beams again

SNKPWR

forum member
Reaction score

I think this thread addresses a lot of the incorrect rationalizations you are using as to why your setup isn't hurting any other drivers...
http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04...-why-hid-s-don-t-belong-halogen-housings.html

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
I asked my local ford dealer how much the oem 2010 HID set up was, but they have not gotten back to me. The oem ford ballast are $382.00 EACH to replace and the oem ford bulbs are $392.00 EACH. Then toss in the oem hid housing on each side.... and I would not be surprised if it's $2500.00 for the entire mess. It's $1.30 cdn to buy a US dollar these days. Now if they came with a 10 year warranty, they still would not be worth it.

Bulbs http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-d3s-hid-bulb-1015.html
(read the fine print...good for only 2000 hrs ! )

Ballasts. http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-hid-ballast-1015.html?source=igodigital

Look for a used set. That's the absolute best way to go to get a reliable setup that looks factory.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back