Let's talk about fuel issues -- Fuel Pressure Drop under Acceleration

petersonb

forum member
Reaction score
The 340 is not enough pump for your car. A few others have tried, just not enough. Surprised it has been on the road that long like that but glad Greg got you hooked up!

Dept of Boost should update their "unofficial" install guide to recommend the Walbro 405 or 465 instead of the Aero 340 for the GT450 mani kit.

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
Dept of Boost should update their "unofficial" install guide to recommend the Walbro 405 or 465 instead of the Aero 340 for the GT450 mani kit.

Wow.. have not seen that in a long time! Now that makes sense. That pump was tested initially by Link and then discovered it was not adequate. Did not know Waketek had also used that pump. IIRC he (you) have one of two prototype manifolds (link has the other which was a test run copy of the manifold you have)

Not sure where that install guide has ended up but there should now be plenty current info on adequate and properly tested fuel systems. IIRC that guide was done prior to production and was not released by Department of Boost, just a bunch of users sharing part numbers for the initial group buy. Thanks for pointing that out tho, I will go back thru old forum searches to see if I can find/delete that guide

Last edited:

petersonb

forum member
Reaction score
It's a sticky on DOB forum.... Hahaha. (Thread Here)

Maybe we should get that changed?

It still had to be a bad pump because the first 340 worked for around a year, then I swapped it out on the side of the highway. The problem was not any better *immediately* .... Like, when I pulled out into traffic from the shoulder, I had almost no power.

Hopefully anyone searching "Aeromotive Stealth 340 lph (340lph) for Department of Boost GT 450 (GT450)" will find this thread and avoid a 2month headache!

20130711_181230.jpg

20130711_181238.jpg

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
One thing you've sure gotta be thankful with these cars is not having to drop the tank to replace the pump!!

bumo

forum member
Reaction score
This is slightly off topic but ive been having fuel pressure issues lately and i didnt want to make a new topic... I have the GT500 pumps and have recently gotten into drifting and ive noticed that my fuel pressure drops after changing direction during long drift sessions and usually when im drifting left corners, at first i attributed it to having low gas but after filling the tank the issue still exists. I havent been able to figure out the pattern of when it happens but sometimes when i monitor the fuel pressure gauge at idle or when cruising on my aeroforce gauge ive noticed that it ranges from 39-40 constantly but would sometimes randomly flash 0.00 for a split second before going back to normal.

Im running 7-8psi (8-9psi pulley) on a 2.3l Whipple with GT500 pumps. Ambient temps where i live are between 110-125*F.

Should i be worried? Is there anything i should do? Could it be from the heat? (pumps overheating?)

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
It's a sticky on DOB forum.... Hahaha. (Thread Here)

Maybe we should get that changed?
I did not catch that they put that in there but yes it needs to be changed. I remember placing it on the "unofficial guide" back before the manifold was even on the market but testing proved it was not enough. There was a bunch of discussion on the topic back then so not sure how it ended up on that instruction page. Sorry you went thru all that based on information found there.

I actually helped tune a DOB car a few months ago with the 340 installed.. same results. Will not work, not adequate period.. The owner also had upgraded the wire to the fpdm, fuel pump and deleted the pprv. STILL not enough pump. He was only running 430rwhp with a 2.75 pulley with an auto trans

I sent him a 405 and all was good after that.

Last edited:

petersonb

forum member
Reaction score
One thing you've sure gotta be thankful with these cars is not having to drop the tank to replace the pump!!

No joke.

In the last two months, I have 24 pump removals recorded. A couple of those have been on the side of highways!

I'd definitely be more pissed if it wasn't so easy to get to the pump!

petersonb

forum member
Reaction score
This is slightly off topic but ive been having fuel pressure issues lately and i didnt want to make a new topic... I have the GT500 pumps and have recently gotten into drifting and ive noticed that my fuel pressure drops after changing direction during long drift sessions and usually when im drifting left corners, at first i attributed it to having low gas but after filling the tank the issue still exists. I havent been able to figure out the pattern of when it happens but sometimes when i monitor the fuel pressure gauge at idle or when cruising on my aeroforce gauge ive noticed that it ranges from 39-40 constantly but would sometimes randomly flash 0.00 for a split second before going back to normal.

Im running 7-8psi (8-9psi pulley) on a 2.3l Whipple with GT500 pumps. Ambient temps where i live are between 110-125*F.

Should i be worried? Is there anything i should do? Could it be from the heat? (pumps overheating?)

I would say, to start, do some data logging to see what your pump duty cycle is doing when that pressure drops to zero.

If duty cycle is at 50 before and during the drop in pressure, you probably don't have enough fuel pump. Could also be fuel filter.

If you're maintaining pressure and duty cycle is high, but still good (think 40 or so), then you lose pressure during a turn or some other quick maneuver, maybe a line is collapsing?

Things to check: vacuum hose coming into pressure sensor on rails (if it has gas in it, you need a new sensor)
Fuel filter
datalog.

You'll see at the beginning of this thread that I was stubborn about the datalogging, but it ended up being my best friend!! It really helps to be able to see what's going on.

Hopefully that's a good place to start.

PS - I would say you could start a new thread about it, but you could also reference this thread if you need to. Lots of people helped me here with tips all relating to general fuel-starvation issues.

-Brad:beerchug2:

petersonb

forum member
Reaction score
datalog.
You'll see at the beginning of this thread that I was stubborn about the datalogging, but it ended up being my best friend!! It really helps to be able to see what's going on.

^^^^ This

fixed for ya!

And yeah, I didn't like the learning curve, but it wasn't bad. now I always have a laptop in my car with my SF3 ready to go!

:highfive:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just checking to see if everything is still good. Make sure you have the wire/relay with that walbro 450 pump and I wouldn't use the bap with it at your level. Just gonna add unnecessary heat. How is your pump attached to the plastic T fitting now? I saw in older pics the hose was down low on the barbs and attached with a worm gear clamp over the barbs, that can lead to leaks or it slipping off. Make sure the hose from the pump to the plastic T Is full seated all the way past the barbs and you use a fuel injection hose clamp like you used for the pprv delete. Place the clamp above the barbs clamping the hose tight this will provide a solid leak free connection.

petersonb

forum member
Reaction score
Just checking to see if everything is still good. Make sure you have the wire/relay with that walbro 450 pump and I wouldn't use the bap with it at your level. Just gonna add unnecessary heat. How is your pump attached to the plastic T fitting now? I saw in older pics the hose was down low on the barbs and attached with a worm gear clamp over the barbs, that can lead to leaks or it slipping off. Make sure the hose from the pump to the plastic T Is full seated all the way past the barbs and you use a fuel injection hose clamp like you used for the pprv delete. Place the clamp above the barbs clamping the hose tight this will provide a solid leak free connection.

Thanks for the follow up, Jeremy!! The Walbro is FAR superior to the Aeromotive. The worm clamps were only used to get me back home (I installed the Walbro while visiting family 4hrs away), but I swapped it to fuel injection hose clamps. Good thing it's so easy to get to these pumps!

Also, I'm no longer using a Boost A Pump... Don't need it with this pump!

Yep.. 5 weeks ago, today. Just started working on it today, actually. Brother's '63 Catalina was in the way, getting a 461 cu in engine swap.

No worries! Now I get to build the motor I've been wanting! I'll be contacting you guys for a few parts along the way.

BP

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Looks like I have the same FP issues, although I don't have to travel 100+ miles for it to occur. It's there, all the time now.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back