Lets talk tires

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
I'm going to be heading back to the local drag strip next month for race they put on around here called the Mod vs Rod. This race is all the push rods vs the modular motors. The rods kick our ass every year but it's still fun. This year will be the first year I'm running nitrous and i would like to know what everyone thoughts are one what kind of tire i should run.

Slicks vs DR's... brands exc.... ?

i'm not really putting down a lot of HP... so in my mind i was thinking i could get away with a good DR on a set of stock GT wheels.

is there any brands i should stay away from?

kbchevlvr

forum member
Reaction score
mickey thompson makes the best drag radials....hands down. but that doesnt mean other brands wont work.

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
M&H makes a great radial too

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
I havn't heard anything bad about the h&m and the Mickeys... i've heard of a few people that didn't really like there nitto's

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of Nitto. MT or M&H for track use. You cant hook on our track here with anything less than a DOT approved slick

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
i think Nittos are a good street tire that add a little bit of hook to a fairly low powered car when you want to to go the track...they last a lot longer for street driving.

but the Mickey Thompsons are the way to go if you want to get the best hook.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I havn't heard anything bad about the h&m and the Mickeys... i've heard of a few people that didn't really like there nitto's

we going tire shopping or cloths shopping??

MT and M&H make the best DRs IMHO. I've been running MT 265/40/18 on stock rims for about a year, hook well at the track and drive nice for the street as well.

Nitto's are decent, they will last longer but not hook nearly as well as MT or M&Hs do.

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
anyone used or using the Hoosier racing DOT Drag Radial

hoo-17310.jpg

killrb

forum member
Reaction score
I run the Mickey Thompson 295/45-17 on a 9" wheel and they are perfect. The 275s are too short, in my opinion. The ones I run are within .2" of stock height.

Brandon

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
I run the Mickey Thompson 295/45-17 on a 9" wheel and they are perfect. The 275s are too short, in my opinion. The ones I run are within .2" of stock height.

Brandon

I don't think you can fit a 295 on stock rim... aren't they only 7.5 or 8

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't think you can fit a 295 on stock rim... aren't they only 7.5 or 8

295s are to big, stock 17s are 8" wide

MT 275/40/17s fit on them without issue, one of the most popular combos out there

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
295s are to big, stock 17s are 8" wide

MT 275/40/17s fit on them without issue, one of the most popular combos out there

yeah thats the combo that i have read the most.... and i'm sure there is a reson for that. Guess now i need to find a good price on a set.

06gtmustang

forum member
Reaction score
Im a big fan of the bfg drag radials didnt like the mt's but thats just me plus they cost a little less than the mt's too.

gijosh28

Bad Penny
Reaction score
anyone used or using the Hoosier racing DOT Drag Radial

hoo-17310.jpg

I have these on a spare set of bullitts. They actually hooked pretty dead. At SGMP I was side stepping the clutch at 5000 and still hooking dead. I don't come out of the hole as hard as the positive displacement SC guys because it take the turbo a second to spool up, but I was on 3.73s. If you were going to be at a track near GA I would let you borrow them to try them out.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
with my mickey' i could never get out of the 1.6 60 foot range. with my M&H's not only did it get me to the 1.5's it almost got me into the 1.4s

M&H > MT anyday

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back