Limited water (no-hose) car "washing" ?

KonaBlue11

forum member
Reaction score
I couldn't find anything specific to this, but I'm not claiming any sort of devine inspiration other than just making due with what I have available. I wonder if anyone else finds themselves in the same predicament I'm often in?

1) Apartment living, no driveway and/or hose.:tdown:

2) Fog nearly every morning "magnetizes" dust to the newly washed car daily.:mad2:

3) Sick of paying $8 just to use the high pressure water sprayer at a "Do-it-Yourself" carwash (especially when your car will loose it's clean finish after the next days fog).

4) Want something more convenient and frequent and saves me a lot of money.

Even Youtube didn't show any results, but I'm not a genius when it comes to tracking things down, but I wondered if anyone else had experience with using any sort of bug sprayer, fertilizer sprayer, etc to help wash a car when a hose isn't readily available?

I ran down to Ace Hardware since it's the closest and bought two small pump sprayers for $9 each. Used one for just water, and the other for the soap/water mix. I laid down a light mist of water on the whole car in my parking spot in my communal garage ( fortunate that right next to the Pacific Ocean near SF it's never hot, so no drying water spots or heat issues) prior to going over one section at a time with the soap sprayer. I was hoping to get a bit of foam to lift the dirt, but I didn't. I'm not sure if that is something I can change or improve, hence why I'm turning to the forum for advice. I didn't go top tier on carwash soap, I just picked up a big container of McGuire's that I've been using for a while. Maybe increasing the concentration might do something?

Then it's simply folding microfiber towels (big bulk bag from Costco) into quarters, one wipe to one area, fold over, next spot, so on and so forth, so that I'm not grinding in grit and dirt into the finish any more than I have to. Car's done in a half hour, streak free and limited mess clean up. I used 6 microfiber cloths.

I'd be up to hearing anyone else's constructive ideas, but I'm just looking for a convenient way for me to keep my car cleaner. I've been using whatever that red yarn duster thing for a while, as long as it wasn't a foggy morning, just typical dust pulls right off. But I can spend $10 and an hour of my time down at the carwash only to have the car look dirty within two days, if the car is being driven in the morning when it's foggy, which is like 8 months out of the year here. It's like the fog hits the car and each micro-droplet turns into glue for dirt and dust to adhere to the car and I'm afraid to use the dust mop thing on a thick coat of dirt like that.

Is what I'm doing stupid? Anyone else do something similar?

The total amount of water I use is only 500cc, I don't even burn thru half the sprayer and I can get the job done in the comfort of my garage in ideal temps in about 30 minutes without getting soaked in the process. It beats handing some other place a bunch of tokens, and watch the timer beep down even when you're not using anything (nobody in their right mind uses the soap brush) * obviously I hand wash with my own buckets and wash mitts, so it feels like an even bigger waste of money.

My car was a filthy mess the evening before I randomly decided to take my girlfriend on a spontaneous road trip to Napa Valley and didn't want to make the cruise in a currently filthy dirty car. What I did worked pretty well for a guy who can't even attach a hose anywhere in his apartment complex and it beat the hell out of the alternative at the self wash.

Here it is after driving some dusty country roads in Napa on Wednesday. Note, I didn't spend any time on the wheels, I just wanted to test out the sprayer idea quickly.

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
I use Gary Deans method exclusively. However I use Chemical Guys Hose Free Wash followed up by Chemical Guys V07 spray sealant. Works great and I do not get scratches in my finish.

Below is Chemical Guys two bucket method if your prefer that.

KonaBlue11

forum member
Reaction score
Thank you! Somewhere I had found and have been using the two bucket method, but at the car wash. I'll take a look thru the other vids shortly.

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
I used a waterless wash once...on a $300k Shelby...guess what I did for 8 hours after that! Removed f*cking swirls.

Mikes06GT

forum member
Reaction score
I tried a waterless wash once. Adams. Used almost entire bottle in one shot and did not love result.

00blkvert

forum member
Reaction score
I used a waterless wash once...on a $300k Shelby...guess what I did for 8 hours after that! Removed f*cking swirls.

I think waterless wash can be dangerous but also safe depending on condtions. I've done it like Gary Dean did with great results. I used a towel per panel or less pretty much. I soaked the entire panel prior then wiped it down with the soaked towel.

If your just trying keep it clean from regular dust and light dirt I think it's a reasonable option. If there is bugs and grime I wouldn't do it but for light dust I think it's an option.

Bullitt 3309

forum member
Reaction score
I think waterless wash can be dangerous but also safe depending on condtions. I've done it like Gary Dean did with great results. I used a towel per panel or less pretty much. I soaked the entire panel prior then wiped it down with the soaked towel.

If your just trying keep it clean from regular dust and light dirt I think it's a reasonable option. If there is bugs and grime I wouldn't do it but for light dust I think it's an option.

I did the same as above during the severe drought here a couple of years ago. I went to local coin op to knock most heavy stuff off then using a similar method to Garry's I presoaked each panel then wiped with a Lowes Grout sponge. By presoaking I didnt add any swirls. I used ONR as well.

gothamite302

forum member
Reaction score

Dude I use ONR daily and have never had an issue like what you're describing! And I work on cars that meet or exceed the value you mentioned. ONR saves time and leaves a clean surface but if your car is REALLY dirty then hose it off first, then ONR

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

KonaBlue11

forum member
Reaction score
I'd rather have to put 3 or 4 extra microfiber towels thru the washing machine later, than use too few and risk scratching the car. I think as long as I am only using fully saturated clean microfiber towels, never the same side more than one small swipe, I'll be fine. I'm just going to up the soap concentration and keep doing this. The car is already very dirty again.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Im a ONR fan too. After using it on both a torch red car and a kona bkue car im a believer.

MADGT

forum member
Reaction score
I have nothing but Poorboy's Waterless Wash and plenty of mircorfiber towels for the last 8 yrs on my black stang--I have never used a hose-bucket. No issues, no swirl marks and no complaints.

Bill220

forum member
Reaction score
ONR Works great and all you need is 2 gallons of water in your wash bucket and another 4 in your wash mitt rinse bucket. I use it for when the car gets dusty but when the car is really dirty I go with a traditional wash.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Optimum No Rinse (ONR) is the motherfucking shizit. I used it for the first time yesterday, because my car was a little dusty/dirty from an autocross. I made entirely too much of the "mixture" and then proceeded to use the rest of it to wash my fiance's Focus, which was filthy. It worked AMAZING on both of the vehicles.

00blkvert

forum member
Reaction score
If you guys like ONR that much you need to try Ultima Waterless wash plus. Its even better but hey I have 20 oz of ONR I'll let go if someone wants it.

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
Dude I use ONR daily and have never had an issue like what you're describing! And I work on cars that meet or exceed the value you mentioned. ONR saves time and leaves a clean surface but if your car is REALLY dirty then hose it off first, then ONR

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Not that I'm doubting YOU, but I would like to see the cars you do this on on a routine basis under a 15000W bulb....again, I'm not knocking you personally, I'm knocking waterless washes in general and what I've seen them do to cars in my experiences over the years.

Now that being said, I don't have experience with ONR, and I can SEE a waterless working on a garage queen like Darren's baby but if hte car is driven more than 3 times a week, not 4 me.

gothamite302

forum member
Reaction score
Not that I'm doubting YOU, but I would like to see the cars you do this on on a routine basis under a 15000W bulb....again, I'm not knocking you personally, I'm knocking waterless washes in general and what I've seen them do to cars in my experiences over the years.

Now that being said, I don't have experience with ONR, and I can SEE a waterless working on a garage queen like Darren's baby but if hte car is driven more than 3 times a week, not 4 me.

You get light wash marring and fine lines but it's no different than using regular washes and normal things that happen on non coated cars. I work under a LOT of light on the exotics (mobile) that are notorious for showing defects. Those cars all get washed inside and are kept in the showroom so not a lot of dirt or road grime. For daily driver, wash and wax/seal, coating upkeep, regular washes it's a great product. Now obviously there is no single, all in one solution for everything and my foam cannon is my best friend! My main point is that there are just plenty of options for caring and cleaning a vehicle.

I also never thought of you doubting me lol I pretty laid back and don't really worry too much about "Internet attacks" even tho that's not what this was!

Do you have a business Facebook page or website?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
Sure do. Facebook.com/detailbyshowtime and our webpage just went down because we're switching domains but its www.detailshowtime.com or www.mobiledetailingtrailers.com.

Ya there are some cars that I do waterless simply because theres no option (hence, that Shelby Roadster that is a convertible permanently and cannot be washed traditionally). I just prefer the old fashioned method with a couple of wash buckets, grit guards, and a 2700psi pressure washer with my trusty foam cannon :)

Bill220

forum member
Reaction score
^ONR isn't a waterless product so it shouldn't be compared or judged as one.

If my car has been driven in the rain or really dirty, I go with a conventional wash. If it's just dusty or pollen covered, I use ONR.

KonaBlue11

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I just ordered a bottle of ONR. I think I really have an ideal setup, a well lit very stable temp garage that probably never gets over 74 degrees. I can take my time and not be miserable getting soaking wet during the process.

I'm going to dilute the ONR into the multi sprayer and go that route. I may not even need the other multi sprayer for the plain water, maybe I'll use that one for a soap specific to the wheels? I'll be swapping out the OEM brake pads at some point this year, likely in the next 3 months. Hopefully the right pair of Hawk pads will cut down the amount of brake dust too.

MADGT

forum member
Reaction score
Optimum No Rinse (ONR) is the motherfucking shizit. I used it for the first time yesterday, because my car was a little dusty/dirty from an autocross. I made entirely too much of the "mixture" and then proceeded to use the rest of it to wash my fiance's Focus, which was filthy. It worked AMAZING on both of the vehicles.

I have tried this one too with great results.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back