Long Tube VS Shorty Headers

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

AFLLLLAK!

aflac_1.jpg

If I were to do it all over again I would pass on the shorties.

06gt4rad

forum member
Reaction score
You are correct i was not in your garage but i have seen the stock manifolds and the FRRP Shorty headers and they do not look identical.

And here is a picture to show. There are actually some pretty biog differences between the two. And I'm fairly certain you had the same manifold that the rest of us have.

Manifold_Header_02.jpg

Last edited:

8905GT

Reaction score
Close enough to an unequal length after market header, I vote for header, not manifold.

06gt4rad

forum member
Reaction score
Yep me to.
Not to mention the stock manifolds are flat out ugly. Can't wait to get my JBA's installed

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
You are correct i was not in your garage but i have seen the stock manifolds and the FRRP Shorty headers and they do not look identical.

And here is a picture to show. There are actually some pretty biog differences between the two. And I'm fairly certain you had the same manifold that the rest of us have.

Manifold_Header_02.jpg

Actually, neither my stock manifolds nor my FRPP headers look anything like either of those.

The one on the left is a 05/06 manifold, not an 07/08 header. The one on the right is an equal lenght header, which I did not buy. I got a standard header.

Any yes, that manifold is ugly as fuck...

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
An exhaust header modifies the exhaust system to prevent back pressure, meaning that the cylinders do not have to work as hard to push exhaust out as they do in a traditional system.

The pipes of an exhaust header are bent and cut so that the exhaust gases will arrive sequentially in the collector as each cylinder fires. This eliminates the back pressure problem and allows the cylinders to operate more effectively.

In some cases, an exhaust header can be tuned to pull at the exhaust valve of the next cylinder and suck the exhaust out, meaning even less work for the cylinder.

This is a good picture of what my factory headers looked like...

759_1201278022.jpg

These are the ones I installed...

M-9430-S197.jpg

Last edited:

06gt4rad

forum member
Reaction score
:thumb::thumb:

Still not identical, but i understand what your saying. Besides the stock manifolds are ugly as hell and going with the ceramic JBA alone improve the under hood looks something i am concerned with.

Not to mention I live in Comifornia where LT are a no no and since i plan to keep my car for a very long time that is a issue for me.

By the way here is an article on the BK headers. Decnt gain.

headers.jpg

Last edited:

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
The tq gain looks ok. I wish I picked up 10 rwtq. I was so bummed when I saw nothing on the dyno.

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The big plus for me with shorties was the change in frequency of the exhaust sound. The dreaded 2000rpm drone was nearly gone, at least enough to make it drivable for anything more than around the neighborhood.

06gt4rad

forum member
Reaction score
The big plus for me with shorties was the change in frequency of the exhaust sound. The dreaded 2000rpm drone was nearly gone, at least enough to make it drivable for anything more than around the neighborhood.

That would be an added bonus, even though the drone doesn't bother me.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back