Longer Harmonic Damper bolt

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
like... how much thicker is the IW damper? I used an ATI hub on my car, the OEM bolt worked perfectly. I began the pull with a warm hub, a longer bolt and a linear bearing that I use to install wheel studs.

You need about as many threads engaged as the bolt is in diameter.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
The IW is very thick and does not sit flush with the end of the crank snout. I'd say about the crank snout is about 1/4"-3/8" recessed inside the hub. Mine came with a longer bolt.

image001.jpg

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
^^^ Mines looks exactly the same

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Yea I even emailed IW cause I wasn't sure and they confirmed this is how their's sits on our cars.

rickf

forum member
Reaction score
You should NEVER EVER use the crank bolt to pull in the damper!!! That is why there is a tool for that with a bearing on it for pressing in the damper with the threaded portion of the tool fully engaged and not turning and stressing the threads.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You should NEVER EVER use the crank bolt to pull in the damper!!! That is why there is a tool for that with a bearing on it for pressing in the damper with the threaded portion of the tool fully engaged and not turning and stressing the threads.
I agree, I wonder if the stock bolt doesn't work because people have pulled threads out, or have otherwise ruined them with the stress of pulling on them.
For the price of buying or even renting the right tool, why risk ruining the threads on your crank?

Back