Loud GT500 engine tick - Problem Found and Solved

slvr08gt

forum member
Reaction score
Just a warning, kind of a long post. Cliff notes at the bottom.......

I purchased my GT500 from a dealer about 2 weeks ago. When I first checked the car over prior to buying, I noticed it had a horrible ticking sound coming from the driver side lower wheel well area while idling that increased with RPM. I am VERY familiar with injector tick from owning two 04' cobras years ago and I was pretty sure it had a bad/stuck lifter(Hydraulic Lash Adjuster) or possibly a bad valve guide.

Prior to signing the line I made sure the car had a clean oasis report and valid remaining warranty. Also made it clear to the Sales Manager that the car would be brought back in to them the next business day to be fully diagnosed so the ticking sound could be fixed. Told them that was my only requirement to sign the line. Other than the ticking sound, it was an extremely clean GT500.

Fast forward to me taking the car in to service. Dropped the car off for 5-6 hours. Got a call back from my SA telling me that the lead tech working on my car is saying the tick definitely isn't normal but he doesn't know what it is. They instructed me to drive it for a week and report back. Meanwhile they would request authorization through the Ford Tech Hotline to open up the engine to further diagnose. SA advised me that they have logged my concern in the vehicle history and if something got worse I wouldn't be held liable.

Fast forward another week. My SA calls to tell me that Ford denied the warranty request to further diagnose do to there being no "solid" symptom of something seriously wrong or out of place :shrug:. Pretty much told me I was SOL and live with the ticking sound.

Another week goes by and I couldn't take it anymore. The ticking sound seemed to be getting louder and it sounded horrible, embarrassed to drive it at this point. I decided to personally call the owner of the dealership to express how happy I was with his service department and sales team for keeping up to their end of the deal. He asked me to drive the car for another 3 weeks and to get back to him. He said that if the sound didn't go away he would personally ensure that the repair would get done even if his dealership covered it out of their own pocket. At this point I thought what the hell and agreed since it was better than nothing.

The day after my conversation with the owner(today), I was stopped at a traffic light and the ticking noise randomly just STOPPED. During my commute to where I was going I also didn't hear and ticking sound echoing off vehicles or guard rails that were to my left that I normally would easily hear. I also noticed throttle response was much snappier then it had been.

Got to my destination, and put my head near the bottom of the wheel well on my drivers side. Not a single loud ticking sound still, just a solid purring idle. I could hear the injectors pulsing/cycling from above but it was nothing compared to the tick sound I have been hearing for the past two weeks.

The only thing I can guess is that there was a small piece of debris in one of the lifters that was causing it to not function properly. I changed the oil the day after I took delivery and used Amosil 10W40 along with the normal MC 820S filter. I don't know if the oil viscosity changed in the last 300 miles or what but it seems odd that the tick just disappeared out of no where. Just to be clear, the ticking sound my made didn't matter if the engine was cold or hot, warm start or cold start, the tick sound was always there prior to today.

I would love to think to myself "Yay my car is fixed :victory:" but I'm trying to not get too excited yet. Has anyone experienced a stuck/bad lifter that randomly unstuck itself and continued to operate properly? Or did the problem come back down the road??

I'm sure my situation is unique but would like to know if I should still pursue trying to get them to fix what seems to have fixed itself today. I plan to give it a week and go from there. The real test will be a cold start tomorrow morning. My fingers, toes, and other body parts are crossed, lol.
Opinions / Suggestion??

CLIFF NOTES:
- Bought car 2 weeks ago with abnormally loud ticking sound, car under warranty
- Dealer played screw around games for a week on diagnosing it
- Dealer was denied warranty request to fully diagnose a few days later
- One week later the tick randomly disappeared following week.
- (Worth mentioning) Day after I took delivery, oil was changed with Amsoil 10W40 and MC 820S filter
- Asking for opinions/suggestions if I should still pursue them to diagnosing it

-Nick

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You should have had them sign a due bill guarenteeing that the tick would be fixed.

Or, Put a deposit down and had them fix before final signing.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
If the sound is gone, the dealership isn't going to do anything.

Could of been a sticky lifter. How many miles on it?

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Could have been a number of things, how long had it been sitting?

slvr08gt

forum member
Reaction score
Did not mention mileage at all!

29,7XX

You should have had them sign a due bill guarenteeing that the tick would be fixed.

Or, Put a deposit down and had them fix before final signing.

It was put in my "Deal Sheet" but the dealer found a way to tap dance around it with Ford Headquarters denying them to further investigate.

Could have been a number of things, how long had it been sitting?

Not sure how long it was sitting before I first started I at the dealership. The dealer did state that the vehicle ticked when they took it in and that it was on their lot for a couple weeks prior to me checking it out.

I do know that the previous owner is active military as well, so it is possible if he returned recently from a deployment, the car may have sat for up to a year.

-Nick

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
I picked mine up with 15k miles on it, pristine condition, and noticed that every now and then I get a ticking sound from the lower driver side fender area. Can't be heard from the engine bay. I researched like a mad man trying to find out what the cause could be.

I eventually found this http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/in...010-mustang-shelby-gt500-normal-engine-noise/. I have also read that moving to Amsoil can possibly eliminate the sound, which it looks like you have inadvertently encountered.

Essentially it is a fairly common thing for GT500 owners. I just accepted it and have been driving the hell out of it with absolutely zero issues. The car runs great.

Your car isn't the only one with that symptom.:beer: If you feel the sound is excessive then continue pursuing, but if not I wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy your GT500!

One more thing to add... when I was test driving different GT500s before my purchase I noticed that one ticked a whole lot more than the others. When I looked under the hood I saw that it had a set of FRPP shorty headers installed, whereas the others had the stock logs.

I'm guessing the thinner tubing on the FRPP exaggerates the tick a bit more, so I'm just curious... does your GT500 have an aftermarket header?

Last edited by a moderator:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
My 2001 Chevy C8500 with a Cat 3126 turbo diesel used to have a bad tick. Adding a pint of transmission fluid to the diesel at every fill up as well as running a synthetic blend oil (8 quarts synthetic and 12 quarts Delo 15w-40) has eliminated the tick. It was either an injector or lifter, don't care which because it's gone.

slvr08gt

forum member
Reaction score
*UPDATE*

Well it was nice while it lasted. Was driving back home from getting my steering wheel re-centered at a alignment shop. Decided to do a small pull on the highway from 3500-5000 in 4th gear.

Half way through the pull it make an EXTREMELY loud clacking sound from the engine bay. I immediately got off the throttle. 2-3 seconds later the CEL was flashing and I could tell there was an obvious change in the exhaust note. I could also smell a burnt odor.

I limped it home since I was only a half a mile away. During that half mile drive I noticed the tick sound was back and louder than it was before it went away. It sounds more like metal on metal more than it sounded before and much more pronounced.

Got home and went to the rear of the car. As soon as I got back there I could tell there was a horrible burning smell coming out of the exhaust.

No fluids are leaking from the front of the car or anywhere that I can see. Not a clue to could have let go...........

-Nick

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
Wow, sorry to hear that. That doesn't sound normal then, take it back to the dealer for sure.

slvr08gt

forum member
Reaction score
Wow, sorry to hear that. That doesn't sound normal then, take it back to the dealer for sure.

Ford Roadside Assistance will be at my place in 45 minutes to have it towed to the dealer.

I can't wait to talk face to face to the lead mechanic that told me to "drive it till something happens" :321:

-Nick

5.0 Probie

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of this. Glad it is finally showing it's face...

This is one I now only work with one dealership... It took me 30+ years to find one I could trust without an once of concern from sales to service...

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
I maybe wrong but sounds like they added a lifter quiet additive and there was a real issue. My 2001 GMC Savannah vans with the 5.7L had bad lifter noises around 100k miles. If you put a lifter quiet additive in, takes 300-500 miles to take the noise away. Then really just instantly the noise is gone. Change the oil and after with no lifter quite additive in and noise comes back.

Back