Loud GT500 engine tick - Problem Found and Solved

slvr08gt

forum member
Reaction score
*Small Update*

Dealer has the drivers side valve cover removed and are inspecting the valve train currently. I would assume they got the authorization from Ford HQ to disassemble at least the top end that they couldn't get 2 weeks ago. Will update once I know more.

-Nick

slvr08gt

forum member
Reaction score
*UPDATE*

Drove down to the dealership to grab a couple things from my car that I needed. Spoke to my SA and he informed me that the tech found a couple things that may be the issue.

Here she is under the knife:
2hn8dia.jpg

When the tech removed the spark plugs from the drivers side head, the #7 cylinder spark pulled right out as if it wasn't even threaded in to the head. The tech noticed the spark plug appeared to be stripped at the end as well and the tech also mentioned that the threading that the spark plug screws in to is also stripped. How it got like that, the dealer and I will never know.

Here is a pic of the spark plug:
2cfrxcl.jpg

The tech also noticed the spring inside the COP on the #7 cylinder/spark plug was recessed a great deal more than the other COP springs.

Here's a pic of two COP's showing the recessed springs. #7 cylinder/plug is on the right:
2rmxpwz.jpg

At this point the tech is attempting to repair the threads on the head(which I'm not too crazy about this method of repair). I feel it will ultimately happen again considering the amount of pressure/heat the spark plug sees. Then again, I didn't get a good look at the threads inside the head. If they are only slightly cross threaded then possibly running a tap through it could work I guess.

All cylinders/pistons on the drivers side have been bore scoped and showed zero signs of damage.

The SA did say that if the tech couldn't repair the threads perfectly, then the dealer would do a emergency overnight order for a new head to replace the damaged one I have under full warranty.

From what I have gathered. If the spark plug was in fact loose, the ticking sound I was hearing at idle was more than likely the exhaust stroke exhaust exiting out of the spark plug valley. It seems the loud clacking sound I experienced at WOT had to be spark plug blow out(literally) since the plug was so loose. The one thing I can't make sense of for the life of me is why the ticking sound completely went away for over a day. I'm also pretty amazed it never threw a code and drove/idled as well as it did for having a loose spark plug.

It's obviously too soon to say this was in fact what caused the ticking sound and loud clacking noise at WOT but it does make sense in quite a few ways.
One thing is for sure though. The dealer is fixing what ever needs to be fixed under warranty and not out of my pocket.

When I asked the tech why he didn't lower engine to pull the valve cover to save time, he responded "Bro this is warranty work, I make more the longer it takes, lol". Kind of bugged me that he didn't care how long it took to get it done, on the other hand, I was just happy to hear that they are willing to replace anything that it needs under warranty.

I later confirmed with my SA that everything will be under warranty and they have no reason to not warranty anything on the car.

I should have a update in the next couple days or by the end of the week with the final outcome.

-Nick

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Good deal, Nick. And spark plug holes are easily repaired, look at all the repairs done on the 05-08 3v truck motors. Remember they had an issue of spitting plugs out because they only had 3-4 threads of engagement. The helicoil repairs were better than new.

slvr08gt

forum member
Reaction score
Good deal, Nick. And spark plug holes are easily repaired, look at all the repairs done on the 05-08 3v truck motors. Remember they had an issue of spitting plugs out because they only had 3-4 threads of engagement. The helicoil repairs were better than new.

That's good hear then.

I do believe they aren't using the helicoil method with the head removed. They are using the knurled, threaded insert method with the head still installed.

slvr08gt

forum member
Reaction score
Got clarification this morning from the tech. He did what Ford calls it as a "Full Tourque" method of repairing the spark plug hole/threads. He said that is Fords preferred method of repair and mine was completed with zero issues. He mentioned he should have the car all buttoned up this afternoon once he receives a couple gaskets.

Hopefully the tick sound is gone. Crossing my fingers till then

-Nick

i am ryan

forum member
Reaction score
Glad your motor didn't let go, and especially that they took care of you free of charge and pretty quickly too. Sounds like you have a great dealership there. That's how dealerships get lifelong customers right there.

slvr08gt

forum member
Reaction score
*UPDATE*

Got a call from the SA today around lunch time telling me that my car was ready to be picked up. I asked him if it was in fact "fixed" since the turn around time was pretty impressive based on the service I've gotten from them the past couple weeks. He chuckled and said "Yes it's purring like a kitten now".

Got to the dealer and immediately started it up. Noticed instantly that the loud ticking sound was in fact gone and it idled a lot smoother than it did previously. To say I was STOKED would be have been a complete understatement!!!

On the drive home I decided to put the repair once again to the test by doing a good pull. At 70mph, I downshifted into 4th and let the RPM's settle to about 4500, slapped it up to 3rd and ran it out to the beginning of 4th. Pulled smooth and hard the entire pull and all I heard was blower whine and exhaust :banana:

I will say this. I researched the hell out of the ticking sound that I had. I found 6-7 threads from various GT500 forums that described the ticking sound to a T as I was experiencing . What was frustrating was that none of the threads that were started ever ended with what the actual issue was that was causing the abnormal tick.
It's pretty crazy that my ticking sound started from a spark plug that was originally cross threaded and then became loose over an unknown amount of time.

I'm honestly happy that the spark plug shot out of the head a few days ago. Had it not, my car would still be ticking and I would still be playing frustrating reindeer games with the dealer and the Ford Customer Care Hotline(Which was pretty much worthless in my situation).

I would like to once again thank all who wished me luck and gave me solid advice. I think it definitely helped!!

-Nick

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Great deal.

That happened to me once a long time ago with my FE motor in my 67 mustang. I thought it was an exhaust leak at first. But I also changed plugs often and found one extremely loose.

I am glad this worked out for you. I was going to ask if your GT500 was black with red stripes and if the previous owner was Seer.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
thanks for the follow up and glad they got you squared away!

slvr08gt

forum member
Reaction score
Great deal.

That happened to me once a long time ago with my FE motor in my 67 mustang. I thought it was an exhaust leak at first. But I also changed plugs often and found one extremely loose.

I am glad this worked out for you. I was going to ask if your GT500 was black with red stripes and if the previous owner was Seer.

Nah, not Jay's car, LOL.

Yeah buddy :clap:

thanks for the follow up and glad they got you squared away!

Could you possibly change the title of the this thread for me? I think it could really help someone in the future that has the same abnormally loud ticking sound as I had.

Possibly re-title it to "Abnormally loud GT500 engine tick" or something to that effect.

-Nick

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back