Lower Control Arm Q

n0nleft13

forum member
Reaction score
Right now I have a set of first gen BMR LCA's and they are pretty much shot in the bushing area. I filled them with grease before and it took away some of the rear shake over bumps and going up driveways. I'm about to replace them with CHE ones soon but just want to know what I should look at to see if the wear from the bad bushings had an effect to other parts of my suspension that I should look at. I also have a Saleen Watts Link, Tokico Shocks and a CHE Upper.

When I was trying to lessen the shake from the bad bushing I softened the shocks in all corners but it now feels more shaky in the rear after I did that. I thought if I softened the shocks it would let more get to the ground but I guess it lets more from the ground to me? I went from 1 turn soft up front to 3 and the rear is 6 turns soft.

I know its the lowers because they gave me the shakes when they were the only mod in the rear. Also the rear does a double step so to speak if I ever get enough to the ground to even chirp the wheels. I haven't done a shift over 4k in my tests with trying to figure out what it was doing.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking, but generally speaking a firmer shock will plant the tire better. A soft shock will let the body squat, which unloads the tire.

n0nleft13

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking, but generally speaking a firmer shock will plant the tire better. A soft shock will let the body squat, which unloads the tire.

I only softened the front thinking it would let the weight go to the front instead of the rear more but then again I'm still learning. I didn't want to stiffen the rear when I changed the front because I didn't know if letting the torque transfer to the ground more hurt something else in the rear since the bushings going. If my bushings are split would a hard shift or stiffening the shocks hurt the anything due to the bushings? Last time I looked at them on the car the edges of the bushings aren't split but I know something isn't right.

n0nleft13

forum member
Reaction score
Did you use petroleum based grease on the BMR stuff? If so that is probably why they fell apart on you. My understanding is they require BMR's special Silicone Grease.

http://www.gnetworks.com/v4/go.gnf?...roduct=1467&n=default&d=products&listTemplate=

A shop installed them originally and I'm not sure what they used but they know what they are doing so I don't think that was the cause of it all. The last time I greased them it was a silicone grease.

The reason why I wanted to look at a new set was because I thought I saw something a long time ago about the design of BMR's original tubular LCA bushings that had made them susceptible to splitting. I can't find the post that talked about it on modular.

06gt4rad

forum member
Reaction score
If your bushings are split i would not be driving the car until they were fixed.

n0nleft13

forum member
Reaction score
If your bushings are split i would not be driving the car until they were fixed.

I checked them today and they are not split. When I regreased them I couldn't find any silicon grease and used Mobil 1 synthetic grease, http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENGRSMOMobil_1_Synthetic_Grease.asp. It shows that it does use lithium instead of silicon. What are the long term effects of using synthetic lithium over silicon?

Can someone provide me a link to where i can get silicon grease to use with a grease gun.

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I checked them today and they are not split. When I regreased them I couldn't find any silicon grease and used Mobil 1 synthetic grease, http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENGRSMOMobil_1_Synthetic_Grease.asp. It shows that it does use lithium instead of silicon. What are the long term effects of using synthetic lithium over silicon?

Can someone provide me a link to where i can get silicon grease to use with a grease gun.
Use Energy Suspension Formula 5 Prelube.
The 8oz. tub will last you a few years.
DO NOT USE A GREASE GUN ON ANY POLY BUSHINGS.
Disassemble and lubricate by hand.
Also have some Brake Kleen handy cause this stuff is sticky and doesn't wash off with soap and water.
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...1104&N=700+400008+4294925094+115&autoview=sku

06gt4rad

forum member
Reaction score

Normal grease supposedly will break down the bushing and make them fall apart.

You can get the silicone grease cartridge through BMR. You will have to do a little diggin on their site as they do not make it easy to find.

I think last time i located it , it was under accessories.

And I agree that stuff is a serious PITA to get off you and god help you if you mistakenly wipe your finger on your pants it will haunt you for hours.

08GOGT

forum member
Reaction score
Also make sure that when ever you have someone working on your suspension they TQ the bolts while the suspension is loaded. TQing them while in the air will lead to premature failure. (You can ignore this on Rod Ends)

n0nleft13

forum member
Reaction score

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back