Lowering springs?

gray2014gt

forum member
Reaction score
I hope I'm not asking something that's already been answered but wondering if there is any benefits from lowering springs besides looks? I've been on the fence about getting them for years. For my 14 gt with around 48,400 miles if that matters stock suspension aftermarket wheels from American Muscle 18's staggered. TIA!

teeje

Reaction score
I hope I'm not asking something that's already been answered but wondering if there is any benefits from lowering springs besides looks? I've been on the fence about getting them for years. For my 14 gt with around 48,400 miles if that matters stock suspension aftermarket wheels from American Muscle 18's staggered. TIA!
Greatly reduces wheel hop if not eliminates it. Able to put power down better. Won't look like a 4x4 mustang, cons : none

DONT FORGET YOU NEED AN ADJUSTABLE PANHARD BAR...also check the pinion angle too when done...that's important too. Or get an adjustable UCA to bring it within spec. Also, bmr all the way for lower and upper control arms.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

gray2014gt

forum member
Reaction score
I was also wondering about using my stock shocks and struts with lowering spring some say your ok some say need new shocks and struts designed for lowered vehicles. Plus I worry about speed bumps as well have some in parking lot where I work.

teeje

Reaction score
I was also wondering about using my stock shocks and struts with lowering spring some say your ok some say need new shocks and struts designed for lowered vehicles. Plus I worry about speed bumps as well have some in parking lot where I work.
If you're gonna go through the task of changing springs it's best to just just everything at once which is why people say new. You'll be fine with stockers. You might need to shave the bump stops 3/8s to a half inch but you'll be fine.

At the very least replace your front strut mounts when you have it apart.

gray2014gt

forum member
Reaction score
If you're gonna go through the task of changing springs it's best to just just everything at once which is why people say new. You'll be fine with stockers. You might need to shave the bump stops 3/8s to a half inch but you'll be fine.

At the very least replace your front strut mounts when you have it apart.

If I replace shock and struts I'm sure aftermarket will be way less money than stock replacements and imo they'd be better as well.

teeje

Reaction score
If I replace shock and struts I'm sure aftermarket will be way less money than stock replacements and imo they'd be better as well.
For strut mounts, stick with oem or get gt500 strut mounts. That is one thing I will recommend

gray2014gt

forum member
Reaction score
For strut mounts, stick with oem or get gt500 strut mounts. That is one thing I will recommend

Yeah I heard people saying to use gt500 mounts but what year/s? Do you think I need new shock and struts with less than 49k? I've never lowered a car before I do basically all my auto repairs myself I know I can install the springs and related parts I replaced shocks and struts on an 94 gt I sold about 4 years ago.

teeje

Reaction score
Yeah I heard people saying to use gt500 mounts but what year/s? Do you think I need new shock and struts with less than 49k? I've never lowered a car before I do basically all my auto repairs myself I know I can install the springs and related parts I replaced shocks and struts on an 94 gt I sold about 4 years ago.
Push down on the front of the car and rear a few times and see how many times it "bounces" it should have the initial bounce and maybe a half to 1 1.5 rebount before it stops. If it's really bouncy they're bad. But you're at 49k I highly doubt they're bad. You'll have popping noises, and you'll be able to see the shocks themselves leaking as well as the struts. If the rods on the shocks and struts looks damaged and scored, best to just replace them

gray2014gt

forum member
Reaction score
Push down on the front of the car and rear a few times and see how many times it "bounces" it should have the initial bounce and maybe a half to 1 1.5 rebount before it stops. If it's really bouncy they're bad. But you're at 49k I highly doubt they're bad. You'll have popping noises, and you'll be able to see the shocks themselves leaking as well as the struts. If the rods on the shocks and struts looks damaged and scored, best to just replace them

Little less than 48,400 basically no movement front or back or pops and or squeaks so lowering springs, gt500 strut mounts and adjustable panhard bar? Or possibly camber bolts etc?

teeje

Reaction score
Little less than 48,400 basically no movement front or back or pops and or squeaks so lowering springs, gt500 strut mounts and adjustable panhard bar? Or possibly camber bolts etc?
You might need camber bolts yeah. Mine did for sure. I'm lowered 1.5 front, 2 inch rear.

gray2014gt

forum member
Reaction score
You might need camber bolts yeah. Mine did for sure. I'm lowered 1.5 front, 2 inch rear.

Eibach springs? That's the main company I've heard of for years but know they're several others out there.

teeje

Reaction score
Eibach springs? That's the main company I've heard of for years but know they're several others out there.
there are SR performance, BMR, eibach, maximum motorsport, uh koni, ford performance, roush,

gray2014gt

forum member
Reaction score
there are SR performance, BMR, eibach, maximum motorsport, uh koni, ford performance, roush,

I know but which is the best? Eibach I know has been around for years doing it that's the first one I heard of years ago.

teeje

Reaction score
I know but which is the best? Eibach I know has been around for years doing it that's the first one I heard of years ago.
It's all preference really. Look up the specs on each like spring rate and soft vs stiff. I like my maximum motorsport springs myself. I have 2 inch lowering maximum motorsport springs in the rear and Sr performance 1.5 drop springs in the front.

gray2014gt

forum member
Reaction score
It's all preference really. Look up the specs on each like spring rate and soft vs stiff. I like my maximum motorsport springs myself. I have 2 inch lowering maximum motorsport springs in the rear and Sr performance 1.5 drop springs in the front.

My daily driver right now been thinking about getting another car cheaper on gas and everything to drive daily park the mustang for weekend duty and or fun driving.

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score

I have the Pro Kit springs on my ‘08, also had them on my old Bullitt. Never had an issue, ride is nice while not being as low or harsh as the Sportlines they offer. I used new strut mounts, flipped 180 degrees like a lot recommend you do to compensate for the camber change. My camber is technically out of spec still but it’s negligible and I’ve never noticed any adverse effects from it. Get an adjustable panhard, get it where it’s adjustable from one end only, I bought the double adjustment and while not difficult it’s definitely more of a hassle to adjust.

Aerofinz

Reaction score
Have you considered a matched set of coilovers? $1000 +/- upgrades your suspension and allows adjustment to accommodate your driving needs (bumps, etc.).

Last edited:

spectreman

forum member
Reaction score
A lot of solid advice offered also. You don't NEED to replace the springs unless you want to or they need to be replaced. At 48k, they may be worn a bit but hardly in need of replacement. But it's your $$- if you can afford it, then do what suits you. Camber plates are expensive & not needed; camber bolts will very likely suffice. I've never used anything but camber bolts on any of my lowered cars.

An adjustable panhard bar helps even things out in the back.

New upper strut mounts are an ok idea too; the GT500 ones offer thicker rubber but stock are fine too.

As for springs, I like STEEDA sport springs. Rumor has it Eibach makes Ford's lowering springs so you know both of those are acceptable. BMR also makes high quality stuff. Matter of fact, I'm installing new STEEDA sports springs and an adjustable panhard bar in my '08 Bullitt next week.

Good luck w/your choices.
Lee

gray2014gt

forum member
Reaction score
A lot of solid advice offered also. You don't NEED to replace the springs unless you want to or they need to be replaced. At 48k, they may be worn a bit but hardly in need of replacement. But it's your $$- if you can afford it, then do what suits you. Camber plates are expensive & not needed; camber bolts will very likely suffice. I've never used anything but camber bolts on any of my lowered cars.

An adjustable panhard bar helps even things out in the back.

New upper strut mounts are an ok idea too; the GT500 ones offer thicker rubber but stock are fine too.

As for springs, I like STEEDA sport springs. Rumor has it Eibach makes Ford's lowering springs so you know both of those are acceptable. BMR also makes high quality stuff. Matter of fact, I'm installing new STEEDA sports springs and an adjustable panhard bar in my '08 Bullitt next week.

Good luck w/your choices.
Lee
I was just thinking about lowering it have for years but haven't done it I think it'll look better lowered but wanted to make sure it was all just for looks beforehand.
55853-63a21b0eb86ed7d801b9208e7024800a.jpg
full
full

spectreman

forum member
Reaction score
Depending on the type/brand, you'll lower the car overall from 1/2"-1.5" or more. Research so you know what you're buying before you do so. Too low leaves a much harsher ride, less space between the tire/fender. Too high means minimal performance/handling benefit.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back