MAF & FP or no?

corey5988

forum member
Reaction score
I was going to buy a Mafia and fuel pump off a member here, but the pump ended up selling before I got the funds for both. They were going to be mainly for peace of mind. Now, since the Mafia is only available I'm wondering if I should get it and source an upgraded pump elsewhere? Right now I'm on the stock setup as far as those go. I have the Roush M90 blower with the stock pulley (may throw a smaller pulley on in the future), JBA long tubes with offroad H, mid mounted Roush cans, and a SCT X3 (BAMA). I'll also be running a CAI soon. So do I need to upgrade my MAF and fuel pump for what I've got? And yes I searched and found few mixed answers.

Weou09

forum member
Reaction score
Skip the extension junk and just get a HPX mass air meter. You can get them for the same price as a Mafia. Get a 405 pump from S&H along with the wiring upgrade and be able to max the m90 out with ease.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Is your maf pegging out? The only reason to buy a mafia, hpx, or ba5000 is if the maf is pegged. A larger diameter air intake tube will also give you more headroom.

Upgrading the fuel pump is a good idea. Either a larger pump or a bap. I know I maxed out the stock pump at 408rwhp but that was with 32lb injectors. The 39lb that come with the M90 will give you more out of the fuel pump.

Something else that will help is a power wire upgrade. S&H sells a pretty nice wire kit that comes with a relay. The relay is important so that you keep the emergency shutoff active.

How it works is the larger wire is run from the ebc to the relay and from the relay to the fpdm. The relay is triggered with the old power wire which is still hooked up to the emergency shutoff so if something happens the relay is no longer energized and the pump shuts off just like originally designed.

The wire upgrade alone will get you over 10% more from the pump.

corey5988

forum member
Reaction score
Not sure of the difference in diameter on the Roush tube and the stock one. If I'm going to have the basket out to upgrade the wiring I'll go ahead and toss a pump in at the same time. Im running lean into heavy throttle, so I wasn't sure where it was coming from. Was looking at extra insurance on these down the road.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Not sure of the difference in diameter on the Roush tube and the stock one. If I'm going to have the basket out to upgrade the wiring I'll go ahead and toss a pump in at the same time. Im running lean into heavy throttle, so I wasn't sure where it was coming from. Was looking at extra insurance on these down the road.

The fuel hat doesn't have to come out for a wiring upgrade. Most people just go to the fpdm. I think Jeremy has done one all the way to the hat. Just going to the fpdm will gain over 10% more flow or reduction in the duty cycle.

Have you datalogged maf voltage and counts? That will tell you how close the maf is to pegging. I made it to 488rwhp with the stock maf and a whipple. IIRC the whipple cai is 95mm where the maf is located.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Bruce is correct, our wiring kits run from the battery to the FDPM via a relay using 10 gauge wiring; we also have a fuel hat wiring upgrade, replaces the stock orange hose with 3/8 submersible fuel line and 10 gauge wire.

Numerous people have data logged before/after with our wiring kits and have seen a 20% drop in duty cycle.

We also carry the HPX meters, they are the same price as a MAFia and eliminates the "band aid" fix.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back