Making functional hood scoop.

explict

Heavy Metal
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So here is how I did it:
I did this last year so there are some minor details I can't recall.

First: remove hood scoop. A couple nuts and a few clips.

DSC_0106.jpg

Then remove the front piece off of the scoop itself (this required a heat gun to get the glue apart):

DSC_0107.jpg

Then make cuts in the front of the hoodscoop so that you can still get side pieces in to the holes:

DSC_0108.jpg

I then put a large piece of cardboard under the hood so as to not get aluminum shavings everywhere:

DSC_0113.jpg

I then made a very large outline of where to cut, following the curves of the holes:

DSC_0116.jpg

After cutting the front piece of the hood scoop to match the hood scoop cutout I then placed the pieces back onto the scoop.

DSC_0117.jpg

Then I cut. Yup I loved it.

DSC_0136.jpg

This is the aluminum shavings. You can also notice the notch in the hood from when my blower belt failed!

DSC_0139.jpg

This is what it looked like before putting the hood scoop back on!

DSC_0143.jpg

DSC_0145.jpg

DSC_0146.jpg

DSC_0147.jpg

Here is putting it back on, lining up the bolts.

DSC_0150.jpg

And this is what it looked like with the scoop back on.

DSC_0152.jpg

This has survived 240+km/h and many many road trips. It still uses all the factory bolt holes so it is strong.

JimC

Reaction score
So how has it held up, do you get much dirt and rain/snow coming in, and can you tell any difference in the underhood temps?

explict

Heavy Metal
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There was no extra dirt in the engine bay, but I do clean it every now and then regardless.

If I never boosted, I could put my hand on the blower after a long drive. I don't know what it was like before but I know my blower stays nice and cold!

acervas1

forum member
Reaction score
There was no extra dirt in the engine bay, but I do clean it every now and then regardless.

If I never boosted, I could put my hand on the blower after a long drive. I don't know what it was like before but I know my blower stays nice and cold!

:party::bravo:

circusboy

forum member
Reaction score
I did mine this weekend after seeing this post last week. Only thing I did different was I removed all the Honeycomb grill insert. I love it. I did some prelim. data loging and my IAT was ambient temp. I'm going to do some back to back testing when I get to feeling better. tape the scoop and read the IAT then un tape the scoop and read the IAT. I'll post up and let you know how it works out

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
nice job im thinking about doing this and putting a billet grill over where the honeycomb normaly would be and of course paint it black to match my grill

jsawyer

uh oh
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I did mine this weekend after seeing this post last week. Only thing I did different was I removed all the Honeycomb grill insert. I love it. I did some prelim. data loging and my IAT was ambient temp. I'm going to do some back to back testing when I get to feeling better. tape the scoop and read the IAT then un tape the scoop and read the IAT. I'll post up and let you know how it works out

Let us know the difference please.

FalconGTHO

The Reporter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Pics?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
PRETTY MUCH LOOKS TO BE THE STOCKER
DSC_0108.jpg

circusboy

forum member
Reaction score
since it was halloween I re-installed the cobra-r hood and steeda race wing this weekend. I didn't get the data loging done, sorry. I did data log the cobra-r hood. 48 deg ambient temp 50 deg IAT at 60 MPH. I'd say it works. I will get some pictures of the stock hood up tonight.

jsawyer

uh oh
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
since it was halloween I re-installed the cobra-r hood and steeda race wing this weekend. I didn't get the data loging done, sorry. I did data log the cobra-r hood. 48 deg ambient temp 50 deg IAT at 60 MPH. I'd say it works. I will get some pictures of the stock hood up tonight.

Nice! Could you tape the opening up and do a before and after?:thumb2:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back