Making functional hood scoop.

FalconGTHO

The Reporter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I made my stock hood scoop functional a couple years ago. I removed the entire front faux grill from the scoop and made my own grill from aluminized material so it won't rust. I didn't cut out as much of the hood, but it still keeps the engine a bit cooler....

Do you have additional pics? This is something Ive planned to do since I got the car. But, when you cut out all of the fake grille area, you sacrifice three mounting studs. I see you still have them in use. So, how did you get to reuse those with the aluminum screen?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Started my hood scoop modin today

Used a dremel for the dirty work, was a pia to get the honey comb off the scoop damn strong-ass silicone tape.
I cut out the middle mounting point on the scoop and plastic stud off the honey comb and left the outside 2 to remount it.

p_00050-1.jpg

p_00051-1.jpg

p_00053-1.jpg

p_00052-1.jpg

p_00054.jpg

p_00057.jpg

p_00055.jpg

p_00059.jpg

p_00058.jpg

Now i just gota cut a hole in the hood and slap this sucker back on! lol

Last edited:

HOLYWD

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
looks great man , doing mine hopefully this weekend after my scoop is painted

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks, its really not as bad or hard as i thought it would be, im excited about this mod, now i can say i have a functional hood scoop lol. It took me all all of 5 minutes to unbolt and release the locking clips to pull the scoop off. Took about an hour to dremel it just kinda winged it, came out pretty good. Not sure how much of the hood i wanna cut out yet underneath. Im also kicking around the idea of putting a single heat extractor vent on the top of the scoop towards the rear to help let heat out as well.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
More to follow on this one..still can't believe we cut a hole in your hood!

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So here is the hood cutting process all done. Greg and I went to town on it with a pneumatic cutting wheel, power grinder and sawsall. Cutting wheel wasnt doing the job too well so the sawsall picked up the slack.

p_00054-1.jpg

p_00055-1.jpg

p_00056.jpg

p_00057-1.jpg

All done, scoop back on
p_00058-1.jpg

p_00059-1.jpg

Was kinda unerving cutting into the hood like that but im happy with the end result!
Oh and there was a ton of metal powder/shavings all over gregs garage lol

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not to mention still pulling that shit out of my ear....

Nice, i found some metal shaving inbedded in my arm from where i was laying under the car drilling the holes.

So when we doing yours?

Anybody try this on a 2010 hood/scoop...

HOLYWD

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Thanks, its really not as bad or hard as i thought it would be, im excited about this mod, now i can say i have a functional hood scoop lol. It took me all all of 5 minutes to unbolt and release the locking clips to pull the scoop off. Took about an hour to dremel it just kinda winged it, came out pretty good. Not sure how much of the hood i wanna cut out yet underneath. Im also kicking around the idea of putting a single heat extractor vent on the top of the scoop towards the rear to help let heat out as well.

awesome , they will be done painting my scoop monday

BubbaRATM

bottle fed baby
Reaction score
this is a project i am interested in but i dont have a factory scoop and there is a 6 cyl running around here in town with a scoop, maybe he will trade me hoods and i can do it that way. I know i can buy a scoop but i dont like how any of them look except the factory scoop. This is definatly on the list to do. HOLYWD , post up pics when you get it all done, i want to see it on your silver car.

HOLYWD

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
havnt cut it yet , will do that monday

but got the scoop painted & installed !

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Anybody try to make it ram air some kind of duct over to the cai?

I didnt do this for a homemade ram air, or to lower iat as its not gonna really do anything in that respect. It lets some cool air in while driving and gives a place for the enigne bay heat to escape to help lower underhood temps.

PompadourBlues

They be obstreperous
Reaction score
I did this several years ago to my B9 scoop. Its MUCH larger than the stock one, and i cut a much larger hole.
cutting the hole

painting the underside black and removing the liner

added some split rubber hose as a trim

finished product
DSC03865.jpg

photoshop of what my scoop covers
ClearHood.jpg

That's pretty nice! I have the B9 and was wondering about doing this. Was it hard fabricating the custom grille?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I followed everyones lead and did the hose trim as well.
Turns out i had just enough hose left over from the coolant res and power steering res relocation to fit up. I used the smaller 3/8" hose for the sides and foward piece, and i used the larger 1" hose for the back. The back piece i didnt slit all the way through i just notched it most of the way to cover the edge of the hood and that way its wedged in there to block off the dead space in the back of the scoop and direct it down towards the engine bay better.
p_00051-6.jpg

p_00050-5.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back