Making functional hood scoop.

predator

Reaction score
I have also thought about doing this... I dont drive my car if I know it will rain, but you never know when you will get stuck out in it. And I have a polished Kenne Bell. I dont have to tell you what will happen if water hits that hot polished aluminum. So just a matter of either figuring out a way to keep water out or find a way to temp. close it off if I got stuck out in the rain. Maybe if I were to just cut out a portion of the rear of the scoop and an opening in the hood and use it as a heat extractor.

Was also wondering if any of you with the twin screw blowers noticed if it got any louder with a hole cut in the metal hood?

bcb06gt

Reaction score
Going from a Saleen supercharger to the Saleen Supershaker I noticed an increase in blower noise.

predator

Reaction score
Going from a Saleen supercharger to the Saleen Supershaker I noticed an increase in blower noise.

I can imagine that it would. The only thing blocking sound coming from inside blower is the filter.

I'm dying to make my KB 2.6 louder. Anyone else curious about this? Ill be spinning it faster anyway, but. Dont care if I have to pour sand in the gearbox of it. Figuratively speaking of course. I'd like to keep it in one piece.

kahmann

forum member
Reaction score
I also did this mod, but with my Shelby GT hood scoop. The original was warped badly, so I got it replaced under warranty. The new scoop is made of fiberglass instead of what appeared like Tupperware. The SGT scoop is a little different than the stock Mustang scoop and required a lot of shaving from the inside of the scoop itself. Otherwise, it was a much needed mod. I was tired of having to say 'yeah, the scoop is fake'.

SilentScope

Chemist by profession
Reaction score
I also did this mod, but with my Shelby GT hood scoop. The original was warped badly, so I got it replaced under warranty. The new scoop is made of fiberglass instead of what appeared like Tupperware. The SGT scoop is a little different than the stock Mustang scoop and required a lot of shaving from the inside of the scoop itself. Otherwise, it was a much needed mod. I was tired of having to say 'yeah, the scoop is fake'.

ok i had the same issue, had it replaced. they said the rivets on the scoop are real. is this true? i havent taken my hood blanket off to see?
i want to do this too... how hard was it?

kahmann

forum member
Reaction score
^The rivets on my 08 were real. I replaced them with button head, allen screws and lock washers, which look a lot better in my opinion.
I know that most of the 07 scoops were held down with 4 bolts, but if yours was a later build, the rivets may be real. The blanket is easy to pull off, if you felt like checking it out.
As for how easy or hard, it just depends on your experience with stuff like this. If you're unsure at all, take it to a trusted body shop. The labor bill ought to only be a couple hundred bucks and well worth not screwing your hood up.
I also had my hood stripes painted on at the same time, which was another mod I'd highly recommend. The Shelby stripes are crap and will get spotty and/or faded in no time. Good luck.

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When I put my CDC shaker kit on, my wife got home from work just after I had cut the hole in the hood. She was nearly screaming when she said "I didn't know you were going to cut a big hole in the hood. Since the pipe coming from the shaker is 3" dia at best, I removed all the tubing coming out of the scoop and then did what Don W did. I cut the bottom out of the scoop so I got a flow thru design to help cool engine bay

FalconGTHO

The Reporter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Used a dremel for the dirty work, was a pia to get the honey comb off the scoop damn strong-ass silicone tape.
I cut out the middle mounting point on the scoop and plastic stud off the honey comb and left the outside 2 to remount it.

p_00050-1.jpg

Now i just gota cut a hole in the hood and slap this sucker back on! lol

How DID you get it off? Heat it up? Fishing line?

predator

Reaction score
You may not want to cut the corners so square. If you put enough round into them it would be a lot easier to put trim of some sort on it later. May also look better and help keep water seepage out.

msvr3

Reaction score
Hey Lightblade & anyone else who has done this mod,

1. how do you get the honey comb off of the scoop?
2. has anyone had problems with having to much air in the engine bay? I never heard of it but I saw where a few people wrote on other forums that getting to much air in by coils and plugs can cause prolbems? Just asking cause I've never heard of that being a problem...

Thanks in for any input.

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
Hey Lightblade & anyone else who has done this mod,

1. how do you get the honey comb off of the scoop?
2. has anyone had problems with having to much air in the engine bay? I never heard of it but I saw where a few people wrote on other forums that getting to much air in by coils and plugs can cause prolbems? Just asking cause I've never heard of that being a problem...

Thanks in for any input.

I did mine to a Roush hood scoop so all I had to do was unscrew the plastic plate off the front. I have not had any problem with too much air. I have driven in the harshest of rains as well and have yet to have water issues. I wouldnt think that any amount of air would affect the coils or plugs since they are seated down in the head and the COP's have a rubber seal around the connecting boot that prevents even water from getting down in there.

Stormbringer

Reaction score
This is all very interesting but I'd be concerned about the edge of the hood where its been cut. I saw the pic with the rubber hose. Does that really protect the edge from chipping or paint peeling? I would think it would need to be sealed with something. Has anyone that has had this done for a long time noticed any degradation of the edge?

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
This is all very interesting but I'd be concerned about the edge of the hood where its been cut. I saw the pic with the rubber hose. Does that really protect the edge from chipping or paint peeling? I would think it would need to be sealed with something. Has anyone that has had this done for a long time noticed any degradation of the edge?

I cut a slit in a vacuum hose and worked it around the hole. I have no peeling. No problems at all so far.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
No problems here and I don't even have anything on the edge right now. Barely any water even gets through when it rains either.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back