Making functional hood scoop.

s3phf1re

Reaction score
thinking of doing this to my 2010 GT. The ForMoCo hood scoop for 2010 and newer body styles is a lot larger than these others and was wondering if anyone has tried it yet. I also really hope the scoop is bolted on like the earlier ones. Like previously stated would def be bad ass to say that huge ass scoop is functional!

2010 Premium GT
steeda CAI, Steeda Tri-Ax short throw, Roush off-road cat back, FRRP hot rod cams(in process of installing), SCT Bama tuned 93 octaine

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
thinking of doing this to my 2010 GT. The ForMoCo hood scoop for 2010 and newer body styles is a lot larger than these others and was wondering if anyone has tried it yet. I also really hope the scoop is bolted on like the earlier ones. Like previously stated would def be bad ass to say that huge ass scoop is functional!

The hood scoop for the 2010 and 2011 are the same scoop. When I put mine on, there were bolts and double sided tape to attach it with. I've seriously considered modifying mine to be functional as well. Right now though, my hood has some hail damage on it and when I finally get around to seeing if it can be repaired, I will decide what to do then. If the stock hood has to be replaced, I will go with an aftermarket hood. If not, I plan to modify the scoop to be functional.

Thing is, our scoops sit high enough so that you could also bore out the back side of the scoop to have a flow-through style hood scoop that would help extract some under-hood heat. You'd just have to make sure you retain the mounting points on the rear of the scoop, but that should be pretty easy to do.

r.barn

forum member
Reaction score
Anybody try this on a 2010 hood/scoop...

I really want to order one of these. Saleen did it right for the 10-11 bodies

I called Saleen on them. They are functional for cooling and have a built in deflector to try and blow rain down in front of the engine instead of on top of it. They are not fiberglass or metal either. Made from some kind of mold injected super plastic. Like what kayak is made from is best thing I could get from the description.

2010-Saleen-S281-Mustang-Performance.jpg

Last edited:

bthornton10

forum member
Reaction score
I really want to order one of these. Saleen did it right for the 10-11 bodies

I called Saleen on them. They are functional for cooling and have a built in deflector to try and blow rain down in front of the engine instead of on top of it. They are not fiberglass or metal either. Made from some kind of mold injected super plastic. Like what kayak is made from is best thing I could get from the description.

2010-Saleen-S281-Mustang-Performance.jpg

That car ^^^= SEX!! haha wish I had the $$$ for that. :ugh1:

DAV.TUK

forum member
Reaction score
I did my scoop a few weeks ago...I wanted time to write on the thread to give a good report of what's been going on with my new DIY mod. The heat from the motor is for sure being let out through the scoop. If I drive for a long period of time the temp gauge will cool just a little. I cleaned under the hood real well too and I did expect to have something under there but even after a road trip from Tennessee to Maryland I had nothing under the hood and everything was still very clean. I cut out all the honeycomb fake grille and all the mounting points as well. I have just ordered some aluminum screen to make a new grille for the hole left behind but I don't think that anything will get in there anyway. Good Mod I would say. Just my two.

circusboy

forum member
Reaction score
Added the split hose around the openning. Water quit getting on the coil packs causing issues. Been running the hood again fior a couple of weeks. Rain is no problem anymore

circusboy

forum member
Reaction score
just like this lol.

I followed everyones lead and did the hose trim as well.
Turns out i had just enough hose left over from the coolant res and power steering res relocation to fit up. I used the smaller 3/8" hose for the sides and foward piece, and i used the larger 1" hose for the back. The back piece i didnt slit all the way through i just notched it most of the way to cover the edge of the hood and that way its wedged in there to block off the dead space in the back of the scoop and direct it down towards the engine bay better.
p_00051-6.jpg

p_00050-5.jpg

Mr. WHO

forum member
Reaction score
Curious about this mod, I see that it works facing forward and getting up to a decent speed, but what if the scoop was turned around? Opening facing the towards the windsheild? Would the effects for heat be better? Any thoughts? Would do the scoop this way, but I thought it might work better facing the other way (for road racing at higher speeds). If not then the way it is.

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
It may function, but it would look retarded if you put a backwards hood scoop on your car.

FalconGTHO

The Reporter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Curious about this mod, I see that it works facing forward and getting up to a decent speed, but what if the scoop was turned around? Opening facing the towards the windsheild? Would the effects for heat be better? Any thoughts? Would do the scoop this way, but I thought it might work better facing the other way (for road racing at higher speeds). If not then the way it is.

Holes wouldnt line up and there would be an "outline" where the scoop had been that would be exposed as its not the same shape all around.

It may function, but it would look retarded if you put a backwards hood scoop on your car.

Ehh, no it would look like a 70s Trans Am.

Mr. WHO

forum member
Reaction score
No scoop on my hood, so no worries about the holes, etc....

I was thinking like a Trans Am, but maybe a grill of some sort. I have some thinking to do.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back