Dragracer wannabe
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
stock shifter, stock mounts, no torque limiters

I never can get my trans into 3rd at 6,500rpm. I have the solid mounts with the saleen block

joedls

Dragracer wannabe
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I never can get my trans into 3rd at 6,500rpm. I have the solid mounts with the saleen block

I have my shift light set at 6000, but by the time I shift my datalogs show the shift happening ~6300 - 6400 RPM.

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Likewise but it doesnt want to go in. It just hits a brick wall

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think it probably has to do with you making quite a bit more power than I do.

i think it's the torque dex he makes good power but has less torque being a t/s , as to where you make a shitload more torque that hp on the turbo

joedls

Dragracer wannabe
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i think it's the torque dex he makes good power but has less torque being a t/s , as to where you make a shitload more torque that hp on the turbo

Yeah, I only make about 500 when the nitrous hits, but it's considerably less by the time it gets to 6K.

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
True true...fuck lol

I was only at the track on my street tune. about 630 pk tq at 4k

I went to the track on street tires the other night with the mustang club. I only hit it twice out of 5 runs. First run was a 14.7 at 105. I went from 2nd straight into 4th. lol 2.7 60'

PLstang

forum member
Reaction score
Dex your having the same problem I have with the Shelby stock clutches.

They last a little while but sooner or later under load at high RPM the clutch isn't strong enough to get good separation to allow you to engage the gear on a power shift. It has to do with heat and the amount of TQ the motor makes (I'm paraphrasing my trans. guy).

Oddly enough for me it's usually in one gear it decides to start doing it.

When I was running the GT with the 5.4, stock eaton, and spray the clutch decided to do it in 3rd gear. Shifted fine any time you weren't power shifting it, that is until it just gave up the ghost! LOL However, when you were power shifting it, brick wall. It would kick it right back at you!

With my 08 Shelby it's started doing it in 2nd gear. Shift just fine from 2 to 3 and 3 to 4. But 1 - 2 feels like the shifter is getting kicked out, like it hits a wall (just like you said). I think the reason it's doing it in 2nd with the Shelby is because I feather the clutch coming out on the DR's (gets it hotter) on the GT I was running slicks at the time and basicly stepping the clutch.

I'm swapping to a larger Super Twin Spec clutch with the PP trim (the stock GT500 clutch is tiny). That should do the trick for mine.

Power shifting these cars is pretty easy but the stock clutches will not hold up for long if your making a lot of power and doing it.

Last edited:

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
interesting....

I have a Spec 3+ with alum. flywheel. I think its the 11"....Maybe the 10.5" would help with disengaging better. I think I remember a guy at promotion telling me this. BTW, im not even trying to powershift. I let off the gas completely and its still hard to slam in there. I always felt like the linkage was just binding up because its not connected to the trans.

PLstang

forum member
Reaction score
interesting....

I have a Spec 3+ with alum. flywheel. I think its the 11"....Maybe the 10.5" would help with disengaging better. I think I remember a guy at promotion telling me this. BTW, im not even trying to powershift. I let off the gas completely and its still hard to slam in there. I always felt like the linkage was just binding up because its not connected to the trans.

Yeah, yours is a different problem. It sounds like the linkage is moving on you. You've done all the normal fixes it sounds like. Maybe just your shifter linkage is jacked.

I've always used a Pro 5.0 shifter and never had that problem. Never had it in the 5 speedway back when. Never had it in either of the 6 speed.

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I need to crawl under there and take a look...

GT-C126

I Look Good!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Got a Hurst short throw. When attempting to speed shift into 2nd, 75% of the time it won't go in. At around 5500 rpm it is a little better, but at 6000 it almost always fails. When granny shifting there is no problem, even at 6200 rpm. 3rd and 4th go in pretty good 99% of the time.
So can anyone tell me whats up with the 1 to 2 shift, other than the driver mod? Should I just get it in 2nd earlier?

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back