Mixing oils?

Nick389_1

Reaction score
I have about half a can of Ford Motorcraft 5W20 WSS-M2C945-A spec oil for my S197 GT 2008.

I couldn't find this type of spec, but doing some research shows it is superseded by WSS-M2C945-B1. (couldn't find this type of spec either).

So I bought Castrol Magnatec 5W-20 , oil spec wss-m2c948-b (designed for Ecoboost and not only).

Is it ok to mix the two oils? (Castrol 5w-20 wss-m2c948-b with Ford Motorcraft 5W20 WSS-M2C945-A)

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
I don't see any harm in mixing the two. Both are the same grade, and one is synthetic blend while the other is full synthetic.
I use the same Castrol Magnatec 5W-20 that you mentioned and it's absolutely fine. I change it every 5000 miles.

KonaMustangGT

Reaction score
It's better than letting the engine run dry, but generally running mixed oils isn't a good idea. There's no expectation the additive packages (especially from different manufacturers) will be compatible. I wouldn't do that for the long run, but if you're going to change the oil soon I'd be less concerned.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
It's better than letting the engine run dry, but generally running mixed oils isn't a good idea. There's no expectation the additive packages (especially from different manufacturers) will be compatible. I wouldn't do that for the long run, but if you're going to change the oil soon I'd be less concerned.
Absolutely hilarious! :lmaf::funnypost:

I find it amazing the things some people will pull out of their asses.

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That extra PPM of zinc is going to be catastrophic!

Nick389_1

Reaction score
Well ok thanks for the replies guys, just wanted to use the original oil somehow, which I'll do.

MrBhp

Reaction score
Mixing oils won't hurt a thing. I've ran as many as 3 different oils in one of my motors with no ill effects, and that motor is a high torque configuration that I occasionally run 52 lbs of boost on. And it has 192k miles on it. You're good to go.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A lot of oils state on the bottle that they can be blended with other oils. I think that is a pretty strong indication that there is no issue, especially blending oils with the same viscosity.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back