modding stock front sway bar

etnoats

forum member
Reaction score
I just installed the Frpp front sway bar but was wondering if I could just drill out the stock unit and achieve the same results? They are the same diameter so I would just need to upgrade the bushings.

jayel579

forum member
Reaction score
This will really depends on what you are looking for. Drilling out the stock bar will essentially give you bigger bar, you are changing (shortening) the pickup point of the bar so you will get the effects but not as much of a larger sway bar. It is a good grassroots solution but may not get you where you want to go.

What are you trying to solve handling wise that you believe you need a larger bar?

DRock

Reaction score
I thought the FRPP bar was larger than stock?

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
I know the GT500 bar and the GT bar measure the same on the outside but since they are both hollow the wall thickness on the GT500 bar is thicker making the bar thicker. They used to be available pretty cheap on eBay. So be careful assuming that the outside diameter tells the whole story. The problem with drilling a second hole is changing the angle of the connecting rod. As that angle changes the pressure changes not a lot but it does change. So if you want to experiment with a slightly stiffer mod to your stock bar drilling a second hole an inch in would probably be fine. But I would not trust the outside hole again as it now has less material inboard of the old hole.

etnoats

forum member
Reaction score
This will really depends on what you are looking for. Drilling out the stock bar will essentially give you bigger bar, you are changing (shortening) the pickup point of the bar so you will get the effects but not as much of a larger sway bar. It is a good grassroots solution but may not get you where you want to go.

What are you trying to solve handling wise that you believe you need a larger bar?

car has a white line rear sway, steeda springs, d specs and LCAs. trying to get rid of the under steer and fine tune the shocks with the new sways. thinking I can back off on the shocks and let the bars do the work. just installed the FRPP front say bar. going with the middle hole for now, but might give the outside a try.

DRock

Reaction score
Fwiw I run my front bar full hard and my rear bar full soft. I'm running HELLWIG seas though and I know that the shoreline is an odd rear bar and mound to the axle. Are you staggered?

jsnyng

Reaction score
Fwiw I run my front bar full hard and my rear bar full soft. I'm running HELLWIG seas though and I know that the shoreline is an odd rear bar and mound to the axle. Are you staggered?

What front spring rates are you running?

DRock

Reaction score
My front is an 8K roughly 450lbs and it feels just right. My rear on the other hand is 5k 280lbs and it is a little too much i believe. The car oversteers right now. Im getting real close to perfect but the rear end still comes around a little too fast for me.

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
You said in previous post you were trying to get rid of understeer. Which is it?

DRock

Reaction score
Not me sam. That was etnotes. Jsnyng jut asked what I was running.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back