Modular Depot... sucks?

SUHleen

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just a couple of updates on my car...

As more and more stuff gets looked at, more and more stuff done wrong is found. I'm kind of posting this topic to get yours guys input on what to do about the situation.

A few little things to start off:

- Driver side rear tire, two lug bolts came off by hand, not a good side
- Driver side rear caliper is missing a shim piece (they had to supposedly replace the caliper cause it locked up)
- Nitrous lines are pretty shitty. Not just ran shitty, but they are crimped and messed up in a few locations where they ran the wire. Not only that, there is miles of extra lines, which isn't cheap, and the less line the better
- Nitrous setup all ran, but not completely hooked up
- There was a hole in the intake part that is similar to flex line sucking in unmetered air
- Never got timing numbers, torque numbers, AF numbers, or an actual boost level, just got a dyno with rwhp, nothing else
- Engine compartment, messy as fuck, even though they said they would clean it up (never did, just threw some wire loom over some wires)
- No radiator cover anymore
- Saleen grille missing screws
- I had a stereo in the back, they had to take it apart, I told them not to put it back together, but they shoved everything in the trunk on top of the board that the nos bottle was mounted on and from all the weight they piled on it, the board cracked
- The transmission was missing some screws and some needed torqued down (I think this caused the transmission to get a little messed up, not A LOT but I'm still not happy)

And the biggest issue, the tune. They told me my car was ready to go and to get picked up. Car ran fine at WOT but bogged with tip in or just cruising speeds. Had a good friend of mine that is a tuner look at the car. He said that the car was leaning out bad because there had to be a leak somewhere (found the hole on the intake, hoping that is the only one). So, Modular Depot decided that instead of trying to locate the leak, they added LOTS of extra fuel to the tune in turn causing it to run rich. So at idle, the car runs lean, and when driving, the car runs rich, it only runs DECENT at most at WOT. My friend said they should have never let the car leave their shop with a tune like that.

Those are most of the issues I know of as of right now. On to some other issues that happened while my car was there...

They told me they for some reason didn't like the way Lethal's fuel set up was and that it was incomplete (when in fact it was) and recommended I buy a GT500 setup with a dual BAP. Ok, did that per their recommendations. Well fast forward a month later (mind you after they tear apart my sound system to install the BAP), they tell me they are having issues with the BAP (no details, just "issues") and that they couldn't get a hold of another one (hard to believe, yes) and I said whatever, thats fine, I'll add it later at this point I just want my car to be running and they said it wouldn't be an issue.

Then, 3 months after my car has been there, after they supposedly took the car on numerous test drives, my tire has a bubble in it. Ok... It never had a bubble in the tire when I took the car their and I'm sure they would've noticed it while it sat there but thats fine. Luckily I had certificates through discount tire, I just ordered one and figured I'd take the old one back and get my money refunded. I told them to keep my old tire, they didn't... But wait, it gets even better... A week after they tell me about the bubble they said Sear's told them there is a crack in one of the rims. MD refused to do anymore driveability tuning. First a bubble in the tire, then a cracked rim? Sounds to me like one of them hit a pot hole and don't want to fess up to it....

Also, I paid $89 for them to "fab" a bracket that looks like it took two seconds and looks like its made out of a tin can. Paid $133.50 for an intercooler pump bracket that is made from the same stuff. I paid $89 to them because they didn't know what size belt to use and supposedly they had to test fit a bunch, you guys should know what size belt to use I shouldn't have to pay $89 for that. I had to pay $40 for exhaust compatibility research because they bought the wrong mid pipe for my headers and tried to use the one set I had and they said it wouldn't work (even though I was paying for the installation already for this stuff).

And the icing on the cake. The total on the last invoice was $8,403.62. Minus my payments it came out to something like 3103 and some change for what I owed. When I got there, they said my balance was $4047.66, about $1k over. I complained and told him this isnt right. He said their balances always show off (and he said that from the beginning so I believed him) but then I added everything on the invoice up, one by one, and came up with $3103 of what I owed. He crunched some numbers for about an hour while I waited and said ok the $4047 was wrong its $3600 or something like that. And I told him I'm not paying a penny over what I think I owe. I told him to add everything up, subtract my payments, and see what you get. After almost two hours of bickering back and forth they let me take my car and I paid the $3103, but they tried to get me for more.

Of that $8,403.62, $5139 was for labor charges. Over the phone I had an estimate of about $3500 for all the labor total and in writing I have a rough estimate of labor for $2607 (without the labor for the fuel system). Mind you a few things needed replaced and a few things were added, but not ~$2000 worth of labor.

Sorry for the long read but I'd like some input on what to do. I'd rather not go to MD again, I didn't like how I was treated and I'm not happy at all with the work I received. I've had a bad day today and got a lot on my mind so this is all I can think of for the time being. I attached a pic to show you what the engine bay looks like.

I'm hoping someone from MD sees this and get some explanation for some things. I've only put a few hundred miles since I got the car back in fear of messing something up.

Attachments

• saleen1.jpg
    saleen1.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 1,110

Chris06GT

Dragging LS Ass..
Reaction score
Dude, your not the only one....

We have a Mystic 04 Cobra we run...single 76mm car, built 4R, Modular Depot engine...

It's my business partners brothers car...he sent it down there for the install of the engine roughly 9 months ago...Since then, the car has seen 4 shortblocks, and 2 longblocks...supposedly faulty heads....

Well, we get the car back, run it a few times...starts ticking....again...

So this time I decided I would pull the engine and do all the work myself...get the engine pulled out, and torn down....Well, 2 pistons are fried, completely!!

So I get further and further into the engine and notice that none of the clearances are the same on any of the rings, or the bearings..

I further start to investigate the wiring harness and notice that there was a wire cut and hid bick in the loom on both the cylinder's where the pistons were burnt...Don't know if it was purposely done, but it doesn't seem right....

So to speak my OP, I'll go somewhere else or do it myself....which it's not my car, but I'll try everything to not let it go there again!

Miracle

"Shall not be infringed"
Reaction score
Damn... 5,000 worth of labor, with only 3,000 worth in parts?

Something should have tipped you off THERE. Fuck that.

This is exactly why I do all my own work.

killr3v

Hector G.
Reaction score
damn man. Sorry to hear about this. This is why I do my own work. There really aren't many honest shops left, much less honest people. Hearing about stuff like this really pisses me off.

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
good thing KenB jumped ship when he did. sounds like MD may be headed to the mustang graveyard shortly.

HOLYWD

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Wow that is some shitty ass service ! Sorry for your bad experience man . Post up some more pics of the stang , would love to see her .

Fake_Snake

FAUX GT500
Reaction score
**THE FOLLOWING IS NOT MD BUT A SHOP OUT OF GA REEVES PERFORMANCE***
i KNOW HOW YOU FEEL.. and believe me ive will never go to another shop with out first doing alot of back ground checking with previous customers...

SOrry for the hi jack but my story is below

i got raped almost 3 years ago the wanted 12k for a v6 motor assembly and install... i paid it all to get the car i should have sought legal advice at that point.. they messed the timiming up in it the first time and had to remove the motor again and re do it al and i had to pay for there mistake

I wounder tho with some of these big shops.. IF theres just one or two techs that will attend the things for a said car and there the only ones who touch it durning the maintence phase.

Last edited by a moderator:

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
I really should start my own install shop. Everyone that sees my work says i'm pretty anal about finish work and how it looks. I could always trailer cars down to Brenspeed to have them tuned after I did the work....hmmmm No way in hell would I let a car I worked on look like that under the hood. Hell, this is how crazy I get just redoing a cheap river boat...haha

18243476.jpg

6d0d2c50.jpg

HOLYWD

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I really should start my own install shop. Everyone that sees my work says i'm pretty anal about finish work and how it looks. I could always trailer cars down to Brenspeed to have them tuned after I did the work....hmmmm No way in hell would I let a car I worked on look like that under the hood. Hell, this is how crazy I get just redoing a cheap river boat...haha

Boat looks damn good man ! Great job !

SUHleen

forum member
Reaction score
Dude, your not the only one....

We have a Mystic 04 Cobra we run...single 76mm car, built 4R, Modular Depot engine...

It's my business partners brothers car...he sent it down there for the install of the engine roughly 9 months ago...Since then, the car has seen 4 shortblocks, and 2 longblocks...supposedly faulty heads....

Well, we get the car back, run it a few times...starts ticking....again...

So this time I decided I would pull the engine and do all the work myself...get the engine pulled out, and torn down....Well, 2 pistons are fried, completely!!

So I get further and further into the engine and notice that none of the clearances are the same on any of the rings, or the bearings..

I further start to investigate the wiring harness and notice that there was a wire cut and hid bick in the loom on both the cylinder's where the pistons were burnt...Don't know if it was purposely done, but it doesn't seem right....

So to speak my OP, I'll go somewhere else or do it myself....which it's not my car, but I'll try everything to not let it go there again!

Damn dude, that sucks! I can't believe you had to go through so many engines... This is my biggest concern, I'm hoping the tune they had didn't do any damage to my block

Damn... 5,000 worth of labor, with only 3,000 worth in parts?

Something should have tipped you off THERE. Fuck that.

This is exactly why I do all my own work.

I brought them the longblock, supercharger, transmission, driveshaft, etc... Most of the parts were provided by me

good thing KenB jumped ship when he did. sounds like MD may be headed to the mustang graveyard shortly.

KenB is part owner. He is supposed to oversee everything that goes on at Modular Depot still, but I guess that isn't the case. It seems like it was a one man army, the one man being Ken. When he was there, I heard nothing but good things about MD. He is the reason I took my car there. But yea, I keep hearing more and more bad things about Modular Depot after I posted this. I'm not going to name anyone but someone PM'd me about having troubles with MD as well.

Wow that is some shitty ass service ! Sorry for your bad experience man . Post up some more pics of the stang , would love to see her .

Yea man. I have yet to go through a good shop experience with my car. It has been to three supposedly major and great speed shops and all that happens is I get ridiculous quotes, my quote doubles/triples over time, or I need this and that. Not to mention the shops saying it will take a few weeks to a month tops to finish my car and then it taking 3, 4, 5 + months.

There were multiple times when my car was supposed to get on the dyno for MD to get the tune made. I'd call back an hour later and then all of a sudden another car would be on the dyno and my car would get pushed back to the next week. This happened probably 5 times. I took my car to MD the middle of March and I was told April 23rd was the latest it'd be there. I didn't pick it up til about a month ago...

bullitt boy

Reaction score
How do I spell R E L I E F "Brenspeed". Quick, clean, good work with honest quotes.

bigmachano

Weapon IX
Reaction score
fuck a whole lot of that shit. that's why i'm glad that this site is around to learn how to do shit. i'd rather put a bad part on my car, blow it up (learn) and then redo it all than pay that much for that kind of work. hell, i'll probably own my car for the rest of my life just so i can stay on this site and always be covered

Miracle

"Shall not be infringed"
Reaction score
fuck a whole lot of that shit. that's why i'm glad that this site is around to learn how to do shit. i'd rather put a bad part on my car, blow it up (learn) and then redo it all than pay that much for that kind of work. hell, i'll probably own my car for the rest of my life just so i can stay on this site and always be covered

I wish more people had this guy's outlook... in the course of about 3 years, I went from knowing NOTHING about these Mustangs, or hell, Mustangs in general... to doing my own supercharger install, my own tuning, EVERYTHING on this car has been done by me, just like many other people... I wonder just how much money I have saved by DIY'ing it.

And I know if I can do it, any freakin person can.

:cheers: to you man.

DIY is the way to go, and the best way to learn.

Blxcklist

Hi Im Justin
Reaction score
I wish more people had this guy's outlook... in the course of about 3 years, I went from knowing NOTHING about these Mustangs, or hell, Mustangs in general... to doing my own supercharger install, my own tuning, EVERYTHING on this car has been done by me, just like many other people... I wonder just how much money I have saved by DIY'ing it.

Fuckin A well said

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That sucks man...To bad you weren't closer to TPS as Benjy would have taken care of you. I'm not saying it wouldn't have taken that long but Benjy does all his own work so he knows what leaves his shop. Something like this is bullshit and not needed in the modding community.

On a side note: That Reichard Racing pulley will tear up that belt after a while. I tried one a while ago and it would rip the belt in half when powershifting. Also it is a mf'er on the idler pullies as it doesn't let the belt slip when you jump off the gas.

Also your power steering reservior cap is off...:kidding:

HOLYWD

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score

I agree man , I used to do my oil changes at most . Now I can do whatever I want . Might take longer , but no matter what , It will look as good as however much time you devoted to it . :beerdrink:
I love this site as well as other DIY help on google , I hate my car being in a shop , and it never is now .

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back