More EcoBoost info/progression

Livernois Motorsports

Livernois Motorsports
Official Vendor
Reaction score
While we have already done a great deal for the performance of the 2.3 EcoBoost, we wanted to make certain we are ready for our upcoming plans for big power upgrades. We are sure many of you are just as eager as us to see more upgrades and info on the 2.3L EcoBoost engine, and we wanted to post up some pictures that should make it quite clear how committed we are to this platform. Here is a shot of our engine build room where we have a couple of these engines for development right now. We've been hard at work for a while now digging into this new engine platform and already have a lot of new components in development or available already.

Beyond our already released MyCalibrator tuner, and EvenFlo thermostat for the 2.3 EcoBoost we have the following items being worked on:

Currently completed and shipping today are our performance Head studs, and Main studs.

In development currently are upgraded Pistons and we have a 4340 i-beam rod available.

We also have some other items that we are in the design and testing phase on that we will share with you once we are ready to release them, but between the currently available, in development, and in-testing pieces, we feel that we will be able to handle just about anything that can be thrown this engine's way.

So for those of you that want even more than the excellent gains from our tuning, and plan on major upgrades like larger turbos, and even higher boost levels, and power on tap, we want to ensure that the engine foundation is capable of handling all that extra power. These items we're developing, combined with our state-of-the art machining and assembly practices, will all be part of our upcoming Pro-Series Shortblock and complete engine packages for those of you wanting to push their 2.3L Ecoboost to the max.

Ecoboost-Engines_zps487727bf.jpg

23L-Complete-2_zpsf003fc53.jpg

23L-Complete_zpsf003fc53.jpg

23L-Shortblock_zps53b7bbfb.jpg

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Have you guys already found the most limiting part on this engine yet as far as HP is concerned i.e. pump, turbo, etc? Just curious what you are going to do for fuel with the big power upgrades.

rdsx18

forum member
Reaction score
Have you guys already found the most limiting part on this engine yet as far as HP is concerned i.e. pump, turbo, etc? Just curious what you are going to do for fuel with the big power upgrades.

If its like the 3.5 then fuel will be the limiting factor.

Livernois Motorsports

Livernois Motorsports
Official Vendor
Reaction score
If its like the 3.5 then fuel will be the limiting factor.

We have only been tinkering with this for a short time. This platform is similar to most other o.e.'s as far as engine parts goes. Rod's and pistons are only going to do so much as well as the factory fasteners. We have remedy's either already or will have soon to address these points. Fuel system has come up on every one of these EcoBoost platforms so far so I doubt this one will be different. We will have to see.

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
Why has not one taken the eco-boost set up off a the Ford F150 and put it on the ford edge sport 3.7l? I see everyone tuning almost ever other Ford with an ecoboost but not so much on the Ford edge. Is it because the motor is sitting sideways in it?

Livernois Motorsports

Livernois Motorsports
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Why has not one taken the eco-boost set up off a the Ford F150 and put it on the ford edge sport 3.7l? I see everyone tuning almost ever other Ford with an ecoboost but not so much on the Ford edge. Is it because the motor is sitting sideways in it?

The F150 3.5 is a different than the 3.7 n/a
The Edge is a little different animal than the other Ecoboost's
We do the Escapes but not the Edges. I suspect it's a demand thing there have only been a couple inquires about Edge tuning in the last couple years so not enough interest to develop the tune. It has nothing to do with the engine sitting "sideways"

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Looks like a turbo upgrade wouldn’t be too hard to engineer. Adapter elbow, turbo of your choice, done!

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
a lot of people are saying EB tuners are going to hit a very expensive wall when the limits of the DI pump and injectors are reached. anything on this?

I have mentioned that tuners might do an (or add) upgraded up-pump to add pressure to the backside of the DI pump like some do to diesels. but the people I have mentioned this to don't understand and just are like "OMG TECHNOLOGY NOOOOO"

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
a lot of people are saying EB tuners are going to hit a very expensive wall when the limits of the DI pump and injectors are reached. anything on this?

I have mentioned that tuners might do an (or add) upgraded up-pump to add pressure to the backside of the DI pump like some do to diesels. but the people I have mentioned this to don't understand and just are like "OMG TECHNOLOGY NOOOOO"

The di injectors will be the limit first it seems. Easiest way would be to add a secondary fuel system. Meth injection or efi.

Last edited:

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Like the fuel injectors in 1986 once the aftermarket sees their is a big enough market for larger capacity injectors and pumps, they will figure out how to make units to support even more power. They just need time to figure them out, re-engineer, test and release new products.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Like the fuel injectors in 1986 once the aftermarket sees their is a big enough market for larger capacity injectors and pumps, they will figure out how to make units to support even more power. They just need time to figure them out, re-engineer, test and release new products.

Of course that will happen eventually. In the mean time on an oem boosted car a simple meth injection setup that's boost activated for a couple hundred bucks would be an easy way to get it done while retaining oem drive ability. That's what I would do.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I wonder when/if the block will fail.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My guess is the block itself will hold 1000hp+. If the low pressure cast aluminum 3v blocks can hold it, then this 2.3 high pressure die cast aluminum block should be pretty damn stout.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Four cylinder rotating mass weight being significantly lighter must certainly help.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yup lighter rotating assembly with forged crank and rods and cast aluminum pistons. Stiff valve springs, Inconel exhaust valves. Motor should handle 30-40psi without skipping a beat. I would do the head studs and mains though. We shall see!

Bud

forum member
Reaction score
My guess is the block itself will hold 1000hp+. If the low pressure cast aluminum 3v blocks can hold it, then this 2.3 high pressure die cast aluminum block should be pretty damn stout.

If the ecoboost block holds more power than the coyote block, somebody at Ford needs to get punched in the nuts.

Curious to see where the stock fuel setup runs out and what reliable upgrades become available over time. Would be nice to be able to make good power on e85 for a fun street car.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If the ecoboost block holds more power than the coyote block, somebody at Ford needs to get punched in the nuts.

I went looking for fire deck pictures for the 2.3 but could only find the 2.0. The 2.3 is based on the 2.0, so I think this is the way the block is made. The block has a lot of structure to stop cylinder distortion.

2qimt07.jpg

Back