More low end power

JMoraru

forum member
Reaction score
I have a 2007 GT with a Paxton 2200SL at 10psi, longtubes and 4.10s in the rear. The car made 451rwhp/399rwtq when I initially installed everything years ago. I've been getting increasingly bored with the lack of low end power, partially because I now live in a more congested area and it's hard to find opportunities to do a good pull. Sometime it feels like the car is even slow just driving around.

The car pulls really hard if I start in 1st and go through the gears, but just cruising along and dropping the gear it just doesn't pull hard enough to excite me anymore.

Is there any way to boost the low end power on this car while keeping the current set up? I've also been considering going back to 3.55s because it has become very annoying to drive on the highway. The car isn't a daily, but I sometimes drive it to visit friends and family back home.

I also considering going 5.0, but after driving a 2013 and 2015 GT, neither excite me enough to jump ship. Sure, I know with the same mods they would be monsters, but I'm not really wanting to mod another car to this extent for now.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Get a PD. That's about the best low end grunt you'll get.

E85 and higher compression will help as well.

Unfortunately, the nature of the centrifugal superchargers is that they make better boost at higher rpms. You can wastegate, as said above, and the boost curve will look more like a well sized turbo, but you'll still have the parisatic drag at higher rpm from the blower.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Add some spray to the setup. Boost + N2O = insanity. Also volatile if your setup cant take the strain or is tuned poorly.

Pulley down and waste gate is what I did. 7 psi spring and I am satisfied with the results. I can always put my boost controller inline and turn it up a few psi, but I have learned well from this forum that getting greedy can blow up in your face (or under the hood). Where I am is plenty for stock internals and I only rev to 5800 max, e85, and a good tune. With luck, my motor will last until a built big bore takes its place and I will have my stock motor on the side for a spare.

An adjustment to the tune will be needed if you go this route, as you will see more boost sooner.

Shep isn't wrong either. If you can swing a power adder direction change, a PD is going to trump a centri in the DD department. A 2.3 whipple, for example, at 10 psi is going to roast tires and 3.55's won't be an issue. The whine is nice and all, but I prefer the "whoosh mutha fucka!"

Gearing down to a 3.55 on a centri isnt the best idea if you are already unhappy with low end power. It will take that much longer to build boost. Even N2O should really only be used at a minimum 3k/rpm IMO, to be safe. Lower than that and you risk puddle with not enough velocity to mix the N2O/fuel and consume it. 3.73's worked out well for me but I make decent torque for a centri, but that's that Procharger step up gearing helping out too.

Last edited:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
The FRPP 2.3 HO whipple for the 3v is 11 psi..and 390rwtq @ 1.5krpm. The FRPP graph depicts almost 500rwhp. Their 9 psi version is probably more than adequate. It will throw you into the back seat. If you want the instant tq hit, the pd blowers will deliver the goods. And you won't require 4:10 gears.

The smaller pulley + waste gate will provide for faster boost..... but I didn't think about the increased hp required to run the centri blower. If I have the story correct, on a centri blower, the boost increases (aprx) to the square of the eng rpm. 8 psi@ 6 krpm... 2psi @ 3 krpm. .5psi @ 1.5krpm. if that's the case, you would have to really increase the blower speed a bunch, to crank up the boost at the bottom end.....then use the waste gate to dump the excess boost at the top end.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to boost the low end power on this car while keeping the current set up?
/\ guess some posters missed this.

Pulley down and wastegate will be the simple way to go and maintain nearly your current setup. IIRC there are a couple threads here with members building such a set up.

JMoraru

forum member
Reaction score
/\ guess some posters missed this.

Pulley down and wastegate will be the simple way to go and maintain nearly your current setup. IIRC there are a couple threads here with members building such a set up.

Thanks.

Yea, I know a PD blower would fit the job but I really don't feel like redoing everything again. I'll look into the pulley and wastegate option some more.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Thanks.

Yea, I know a PD blower would fit the job but I really don't feel like redoing everything again. I'll look into the pulley and wastegate option some more.
If you haven't already built your motor, swapping pistons and rods and upping the co.lression ratio is an option. The plus side is that you could also turn up the boost. Not sure if that qualifies and changing the build or not. You'd probably need e85 for high boost though.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back